Kaby Lake crap TIM , WHY ?

Discussion in 'Intel Processors' started by gregorvich, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Nimisys

Nimisys Likes To Play With Trannies

are those cracks i see?

2. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

Yeppers. Delidding 13 years ago....before it was cool. ;)

Jspr, razor1 and Peter2k like this.
  3. FrgMstr

Good eye.

Deleted member 184142 likes this.
  4. gregorvich

gregorvich Limp Gawd

5. Folterknecht

Folterknecht n00b

6. ccityinstaller

ccityinstaller [H]ardness Supreme

I know this post is nearly a month old, but I have to share some of my results on this whole " you cant use LM or LMU on a vertical setup" nonsense..I have used it on well over ~15 de-lidded direct die mounts in a standard ATX MB, and at least 10 re-lidded setups, going back to 2012...I haven't had a single failure, and we are knocking on the door of 5 years of use here...

The stuff doesn't run like water guys..I use a cheap throw away water color brush, and lightly coat the entire die before mounting the water block or re-lidding..

Jspr likes this.
  7. Shintai

Shintai [H]ardness Supreme

So you also create a setup that cant be used in a commercial product. Either no lid or relidded directly on the die using a razor thin layer. You have to think on what would work for everyone in any situation. Including lasting for 10 years+.

8. ccityinstaller

ccityinstaller [H]ardness Supreme

Where in my OP did I say anything about creating a "setup that cannot be used in a commercial product?" I simply stated that the claim you and others have made about CL and CLU "leaking" and ruining systems is FUD. Period. I offered my experience on 25 systems that use this very setup without a problem. I think you like to argue just for the sake of arguing..Thank God I didn't mention AMD in my post :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.........

c3k, SomeGuy133 and thesmokingman like this.
  9. Shintai

Shintai [H]ardness Supreme

So what happens when you cant use a razor thin layer? Either it runs or is solidifies doesn't it?
    https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...ne-through-the-roof-after-few-months.2419707/
    http://www.coollaboratory.com/pdf/manual_liquid_pro_englisch.pdf

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  10. -PK-

-PK- [H]ard|Gawd

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  11. Peter2k

Peter2k Limp Gawd

You know it's funny that it's actually mentioned that the ultra solidifies in the manual

at the end of the second page

at 48 hours it consolidates

12. FrgMstr

Vote with your wallet. I don't think anyone at Intel made you buy anything.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    ZodaEX likes this.
  13. olDirdey

olDirdey n00b

Thank you very much Folterknecht (y)

It´s me, Stullen Andi from Hardwareluxx Forum. The TIM I´am using to apply on the core is Phobya Liquid Metall or Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut. The Coollaboratory stuff I only used once cause it´s not as good as the phobya or conductonaut stuff.

Here you can see how easy it is to apply it to the die, but I am not using the brush that comes with the tim.

14. SomeGuy133

SomeGuy133 2[H]4U

So your also saying and would agree a Titan Pascal that throttles due to shit heatsink is working as advertised and totally cool?

15. SomeGuy133

SomeGuy133 2[H]4U

it throttles at stock boost.

A product made cutting corners is not something consumers should find acceptable. period.

16. SomeGuy133

SomeGuy133 2[H]4U

being advertised as an overclocking chip (K) and cutting edge while cutting corners that cripples its performance is not something you should accept so stop spewing your crap

17. Peter2k

Peter2k Limp Gawd

mmm

that technique to stretch it out in a line and then spreading it to the sides, nice
    gonna remember that whenever I have to redo mine (if I have to that is, happy with my OC)

first time on my air cooler and on Skylake I used liquid ultra

but some time back I ordered LM from Phobya and with my Kaby and an AiO I used the Phobya this time around (between DIE and IHS and the IHS and AiO)

I'm sure you get asked a lot
    any long term experience you've come across, or heard regarding the coollaboratory or Phobya stuff?

though seeing on the Hardwareluxx Forum youre rather experienced in delidding :ROFLMAO:
    any first hand knowledge / opinion / experience would be appreciated (as youre test samples seem rather high :D )

18. olDirdey

olDirdey n00b

I tried a few ways to apply the tim on the die and spreader and for me it was the easiest way to do it with a "wattestäbchen", I think you call it cotton bud.

The very first application I used the coollaboratory stuff too, but after this I only used the phobya and conductonaut lm, cause it you got a few degrees better result.

As far as I know the delidding starts in 2012 in hwluxx forum and there are cpus I know that running more than 3 years without a problem. My first cpu is working 1 and a half year without any difference in temp.

I think the key is to apply the lm to a very clean surface and leave a gap while glueing. This one here had no gap and I think not enaugh pressure while remounting the IHS and this cpu starts to raise temp after a few months. I got it for reapplying LM.

But even this is fixable with some cleaning. The Liquid Metall on the IHS was dry and needed some heavy force to remove.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. FrgMstr

Actually it dates back to 2003. Ask me how I know. ;)

20. olDirdey

olDirdey n00b

21. SomeGuy133

SomeGuy133 2[H]4U

cotton tip/q-tip i think is what you mean above.

He showed a picture further above of him delidding a 478 socket chip IIRC

I like the idea of using 5-10K grit paper/cloth to get better contact.

I have 1-3/5K paper and a 8K IIRC cloth. The cloth is for diamond polishing.

6/8K is like 1 micron particle size.

Problem is applying even pressure and not making it worse.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  22. FrgMstr

Always had luck with putting the sand paper down on a thick glass mirror and then lapping the IHS on that. Nice and flat.

23. FrgMstr

I know what you are saying. Physics...I get it.

"Lapping" is the process we use to flatten out IHS parts. And yes, while it is impossible to get "flat" a lot of times in the past the IHS was nowhere close to being flat.

This is exactly how we used to do it.

I would however suggest using a circular motion to wet sand however...

I did address the flatness of the KL IHS today in our review. http://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/02/02/intel_kaby_lake_i57600k_cpu_delid_relid_temp_results

24. FrgMstr

Also, if you lap it down to a mirror finish, you can then use a piece of graph paper to check for flatness as well.

1351693272ZeNpxmp4Kx_2_5_l.jpg

Peter2k likes this.
  25. FrgMstr

Pretty much. Although they well never be "straight."

26. FrgMstr

OK, thanks for the insight.

27. FrgMstr

Sorry, missed the question.

Yes, that is a picture we took. No, we do not used bubbled up paper for that test. The paper is flat on a desktop.

28. olDirdey

olDirdey n00b

It´s a bit confusing to me. I think it´s just a 479 socket but the CPU is socket 478. I don´t know a single socket 479 CPU with heatspreader.

29. FrgMstr

Put a piece of graph paper down on a flat surface. Look at the reflection in the mirror finish. Are the blocks in the reflection still square? If yes, it is "flat." If no, then it is not "flat." Does that help you understand better? I am not sure of what you are confused about. Sorry for my snapping at you. Please post your question here and I will try to answer it.

ZodaEX likes this.
  30. FrgMstr

I really do not know brother. When we had wavy mating surfaces it was an easy way to show it to our readers.

31. SvenBent

SvenBent 2[H]4U

So the lines are only good if they are straight.. bunch of homophobics around here. gay cobber-bases are cobber-bases too you know.

FrgMstr likes this.
  32. exlink

exlink [H]ardness Supreme

So what do you guys think are the chances that the newly rumored i7-7740K and i5-7640K have better TIM?

33. PontiacGTX

PontiacGTX Gawd

Intel will probably keep using epoxy for Enthusiast/HDET CPUs and still giving bad Thermal interface to rmainstream

34. damstr

damstr [H]ard|Gawd

I doubt they would use higher quality TIM on the lower end CPU's.

I think there is also an issue with the Z height which is the distance of the die to the IHS. Removing the glue or whatever they use helps the IHS sit closer to the die.

35. SomeGuy133

SomeGuy133 2[H]4U

silicon lottery said its merely a lack of application pressure which is why it seats too high.