• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Just upgraded my core computer, more options?

twitchee2

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 14, 2005
Messages
154
About a year ago i upgraded from a amd 4400+, 7800gtx, 2gb ram, and a dfi ultra-d. I upgraded to an older generation core 2 duo and a 9800gt, i think. got the whole setup for basically free after i sold off my old parts. I just recently upgraded to an MSI P55-GD65, i5-760 currently at stock speeds and added a 2nd 9800gt to run sli. Ive got 16gb of ram in the mail along with a new storage hdd, dreaded 7200.11 finally bit the dust and is getting RMA'd

Ive run all this on the same psu I had with the 4400 and dfi setup from back in 2005, it is an old OCZ modstream 520w. right now it gets the job done but back when I was 16 I made my own wiring setup specially for the dfi board and everything i had back then, did I mention I was 16 when I did it and I think thats all i need to say haha. Anyway, im currently using a bunch of converters to get the sata power and pci-e power to the cards.

It is working just fine but would you upgrade the psu?

I was looking at the corsair TX850 or seasonic s12II 620. I know the PSU is the heart of the system and I like to make sure ive got extra power to keep it for a long time. Point in case the OCZ 520 ive use for the last 7 years, but I'm also on a college budget. Let me know what you think.
 
On a budget the only thing I would do to that system is add a 6770, maaaaaaaybe a 6850, video card. The 520w should be ok with that.
If you have to get a new hd, maybe get a small SSD.

Short of that I would hold on to build a new system
 
maybe i should just stick with this system for now and do a full upgrade when i graduate in may. I had to get a new storage drive. Ive got my older seagate 320's in raid 0 for now.
 
well i said screw it and i just ordered a tx850, that should be good for a long time to come, i dont even plan on running any of those power hog cards as im not a big gamer. only reason im running SLI now is because i got the card for free.
 
PSUs de-rate over time (can't supply as much power as they did initially) and that system would've taxed that PSU on its best day. Good choice replacing it.
 
Back
Top