Just upgraded from Win7 to Win10. Is there a cheat sheet?

Bird222

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm just wondering if there is a quick guide to finding stuff mainly like control panel and device manager?

Right click on the windows logo, you can get to control panel, device manager and more.

With a mouse right click on the Start Button, Control Panel and Device Manager are there.

Start button -> typing what you want (for search) also works well, as it did in 7 and 8.
Not really much to know...get used to some settings being under Options, and expect that list to grow as they phase out the Control Panel (reportedly).

In theory if you tap the Start button on a keyboard or click the Start button on the Desktop you should be able to just type a few letters of what you're looking for. Unfortunately because of how Microsoft keeps changing things in newer versions of Windows that doesn't always get you what you want - for me in Windows 10 if I type the letters d-e-v I get all sorts of crap but not Device Manager like I do in Windows 7 which is what I might be looking for.

Of course, if just right click the corner itself you'll get the shortcut menu to a lot of things but, sometimes when you have both hands on the keyboard it's infinitely easier to (<thumb tap the Windows aka Start key> type d-e-v hit Enter with a pinky) than moving a hand physically back to the mouse beside the keyboard to get the same thing done.

For all their efforts, I don't find that Microsoft has improved the search functionality in 8/8.1 and now 10 one freakin' iota over Windows 7 which I feel still does it the right way.

In theory if you tap the Start button on a keyboard or click the Start button on the Desktop you should be able to just type a few letters of what you're looking for. Unfortunately because of how Microsoft keeps changing things in newer versions of Windows that doesn't always get you what you want - for me in Windows 10 if I type the letters d-e-v I get all sorts of crap but not Device Manager like I do in Windows 7 which is what I might be looking for.

Numerous users have been having issues with Search in Win10, causing these types of issues.

When I hit winkey and type the letters "d-e-v" the top result is Device Manager.

So... the results are the same as Win7, when search is actually working properly.

Ever since Windows 8, I've been using Run (Win+R) and typing what I want. Before Windows 8.1, it was a way to avoid Tile Land (Start Screen). Some of the things I type are:

devmgmt.msc (Device Manager); compmgmt.msc (Computer Management) or compmgmtLauncher; diskmgmt.msc (Disk Management); control (Control Panel); control userpasswords (User Accounts); control userpasswords2 (another User Accounts) or netplwiz; lusrmgr.msc (Local Users and Groups); appwiz.cpl (Programs and Features); firewall.cpl (Windows Firewall); wf.msc (Windows Firewall with Advanced Security); rsop.msc (Resultant Set of Policies); mmc (Microsoft Management Console); powercfg.cpl (Power Options)

I originally learned many of these from http://ss64.com/nt/run.html

This is what Windows 8 did to me. By Windows 8.1 and 10, the need wasn't there as much. It just annoyed me to click Start and have this huge wall of alphabet block looking things interrupt what I was doing, just to get back to the Desktop to do actual work. In Windows 10, the kinderblocks no longer take up the whole screen and can be removed.

I would try figuring out the Powershell commands for these, I just never found the time. Also at that point why not Linux.

Last edited:
CTRL+Winkey+D creates a new virtual desktop
CTRL+Winkey+F4 closes/deletes it
CTRL+Winkey+Left or Right to quickly move to the next virtual desktop

I feel ashamed and remiss for only now mentioning "God Mode". That which existed in Windows 8 continues on in Windows 10.

Create a New Folder, give it a name, and append that name with .{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C} (the internet seems to like GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C} although IDDQDT would work equally as well, ending with .{E...C})

http://lifehacker.com/activate-god-mode-in-windows-10-for-quick-access-to-win-1721853635

I feel ashamed and remiss for only now mentioning "God Mode". That which existed in Windows 8 continues on in Windows 10.

If only there was a godmode for disabling the spying/telemetry completely ;)

0Rz5iat.png

Keep in mind that it remembers your previous searches, and that impacts the results of your future searches. I had previously accessed Device Manager via other methods. The first time I tried actually searching for it. Searching for "dev" or even "device" only brought up the "Devices" Desktop app. I had to type in "device m" for device manager to finally show as a result.

But the next time I searched for it, "dev" did then bring up Device Manager as a result.

CTRL+Winkey+D creates a new virtual desktop
CTRL+Winkey+F4 closes/deletes it
CTRL+Winkey+Left or Right to quickly move to the next virtual desktop

This... this is awesome! I heard things about virtual desktops in Windows 10 but never really looked into them.

Keep in mind that it remembers your previous searches, and that impacts the results of your future searches. I had previously accessed Device Manager via other methods. The first time I tried actually searching for it. Searching for "dev" or even "device" only brought up the "Devices" Desktop app. I had to type in "device m" for device manager to finally show as a result.

But the next time I searched for it, "dev" did then bring up Device Manager as a result.

As well, as part of the hybrid desktop/tablet motif, they are going to first show you the not-desktop version of things, such as "Devices." However, if you look on that Devices page, down near the bottom.. "Device Manager."

Back