Just stole a Titan X

TrevorR

Gawd
I "stole" it from Microcenter for a nice price of $674.97 + tax. It was on clearance and Micro center was doing 25% off clearance items.

Ok, now that my bragging is out of the way, the real question. I bought this because it was too good of a price to pass up on but I have 980s in SLI. Do I part ways with the 980s or go with the single Titan X? I know performance wise with FPS 980s win but the higher Vram.. I guess my question is, the Titan x more "future proof" than the 980s?

Input highly appreciated!

17693161151_d252863e6e_c.jpg

The question is: why in the world was a Titan X on clearance?
Open box more than likely. I had a similar conversation with my MC guys. They couldn't offer anything on the Titan, but could do $262 out the door on a R9 290x, but it also has a $30 MIR bringing the total price to $232, which is quite the price.

You should have kept it in an unopened box and sold it. Or Sell your 980's and get another Titan X.

Damn... If I'm not mistaken that's the price of a KINGPIN or ASUS Gold Edition 980. Was also the launch price of the 780. I would definitely classify that as a steal if it was MISB.

You should have kept it in an unopened box and sold it. Or Sell your 980's and get another Titan X.
I would do option #2. Another TITAN X for SLI will give you nice performance for 4k if you ever decide to go that way in the future. In the meantime you could pretty much max everything out at 1440p with a pair of TITAN X and never have to worry about VRAM again... well, at least for a long time ;).

Ditch the 980's and get a second Titan X if you desire SLi. In DX12 the 980's will be seen as a single 8GB card while the Titan X SLi will be a 24GB card to the OS.

In Arnold Schwarzenegger voice, "Do it naow!!!"

it does in dx12.

but still 12GB in dx11.

Id like to see you fill even that up

lol

it does in dx12.

but still 12GB in dx11.

Id like to see you fill even that up

lol

Hmm, maybe I'll be able to hold on to my 280Xs for a while longer. I tell you, computer hardware seems to be lasting way too long these days.

i dont think you could actually do it in any modern game.

Youd run out of shader power long before you could fill the frame buffer.

What a great deal you got.:D

PM me if you want to sell the 980s!!!! or the Titan.

Screw you guys, I demand 8K resolution uncompressed textures in all my games.

Another option if you so choose is to keep one of the 980's and dedicate it to PhysX.

My guess is the drone who put it in the open box rack didnt know what it really was,,,

Some of those people working at MC arent the brightest bulb on the tree...

Nope, someone bought it and opened it and returned it a day later from speaking with the manager on duty. The card was still sealed in the anti static bag and everything else was sealed as well. Probably buyers remorse? Regardless, they sold it to me as new and receipt doesn't reflect open box. I just got extremely lucky.

I think I'll sell one of my 980s and keep the one that I literally just bought last week as a physx card. I got that as an open box for 25% off as well for $384. It even came with the witcher 3 and batman.. Lol....

Holy fawk man!

Congrats on a MAJOR fucking deal!

Now I'm so damn jealous it hurts!

What a sick deal! Sell the 980 sli while they still demand a certain price, As time goes on and more cards come out they will be worth less

ahahahaha... and i paid full msrp for both of mine :'(

definite great find ... mc near me closed down a year ago :(

Ditch the 980's and get a second Titan X if you desire SLi. In DX12 the 980's will be seen as a single 8GB card while the Titan X SLi will be a 24GB card to the OS.

In Arnold Schwarzenegger voice, "Do it naow!!!"

By the time DX12 games roll around Pascal will be out. Won't make much sense. With the process improvement of 50% at 16FF plus 40-50% single precision efficiency improvement and HBM2 JHH already claimed, a single GTX 1080 (or whatever it will be called) will run in circles around Titan X SLI, easily be 25-40% faster with no microstutter and cost half as much, if even.

Titan X SLI is for the now, if you have to play Witcher 3 at 4K.

Sell the 980's, that 4GB of VRAM will become a problem later, I would like the Titan X myself but I'm not really willing to spend more than $1K on computer hardware.

#1) I don't like you right now, great steal. Microcenter has some good deals on clearance usually when I have visited the store in Fairfax, VA when I lived in DC.

#2) Go with the Titan X and grab another if you can.

By the time DX12 games roll around Pascal will be out. Won't make much sense. With the process improvement of 50% at 16FF plus 40-50% single precision efficiency improvement and HBM2 JHH already claimed, a single GTX 1080 (or whatever it will be called) will run in circles around Titan X SLI, easily be 25-40% faster with no microstutter and cost half as much, if even.

Titan X SLI is for the now, if you have to play Witcher 3 at 4K.

You have no idea what you are talking about... That is pure blind faith to say that the replacement for this card will offer so much improvement that a single card will beat two cards by 40%.

You know that the Titan X will receive nearly all the DX12 benefits that Pascal will have right?

To OP: Great find, the Fairfax, Va. store is 5 minutes from my house and I love going in to check out the clearance section. In general I like to support AMD staying in business, so I purchase AMD, but I certainly would have Jumped on this deal!

the box says titan x

also, the titan black was silver.

His is black.

Wow. He was obviously being facetious. The joke IS that the Titan Black isn't black, but the Titan X is.

probably not, MC rarely has any sales

That store probobly just had a backlog of clearance items.

Back