Just started Fallout 3 (potential spoilers, and wtf?)

Tower

Gawd
I just started Fallout 3. I've never played it (or anything like it) before.

Preface: I bought this on Steam, got no owner's manual, and went into it knowing very little about gameplay.

I had recently found my way to Megaton and was trying to explore and talk to the NPCs. I was recently tasked with detonating the bomb intentionally (by Mr. Burke), and ended up telling the Sheriff that I got the detonator from him. When I followed the Sheriff into Moriarty's Saloon, Burke pulled a pistol and capped the Sheriff--which pissed me off, so I pulled out a baseball bat and dropped Mr. Burke.

I went to load my last saved game (from yesterday), and it doesn't exist. I have an initial save from when I exited the Vault, and an autosave after the carnage. That's it.

Now I'm truly screwed, because in my anger at the game's save system, I've killed all the NPCs in Moriarty's, and the city's hell bent on killing me.

Soo.. am I completely screwed? Anyone else get boned this way? :mad:

Just restart the game. Are you even an hour into it yet? It's been a while since I've played FO3, but I don't think it takes even an hour to get that far. An hour is nothing compared to the time that can be put into FO3.

Actually one of the appeals of the game is that you aren't even "screwed" as you can still continue on despite what you have done.

Actually one of the appeals of the game is that you aren't even "screwed" as you can still continue on despite what you have done.

Yeah, but turning a whole town against you often closes many quest lines. It would be best for the OP to start over and experience the whole game first. Then they can go back and kill everyone for fun :)

yes start over, tell burke to fuck off and disarm the bomb. this will leave much more of the story open and give you a house in megaton to store your crap and rest.

Fallout 3 uses games for windows live. Its puts saved games in different locations on your HDD depending on whether you are logged into live or not. If you start a new game being logged into live then you will have to log in every single time to access your saved games. Same with starting a new game if you arent logged into live. Ya, stupid I know, but thats just how it works.

you don't have to start over, but I recommend that you do detonate the bomb at some point{awesome]
There's an abundance of XP in the world, so you can ignore many quests.

This is true, but FO3 does have a karma system in place, so one needs to bare that in mind.

Also, there are a ton of mods that can make FO3 look absolutely amazing, if you want to take the time to set them all up. It will be time consuming and rather frustrating at times, to make sure all of your mods dont conflict with each other, but the outcome is amazing. I will post some screens in a bit showing the mods I am running in FO3.

you don't have to start over, but I recommend that you do detonate the bomb at some point{awesome]
There's an abundance of XP in the world, so you can ignore many quests.

Why the hell would you want to do that? 90% of the fun in FO3 is completing all of the random quests.

Why the hell would you want to do that? 90% of the fun in FO3 is completing all of the random quests.

I'm just stating a fact, ie, there's an abundance of xp, so one doesn't have to complete every quest, as such, it can be hard to get yourself in trouble from a xp pov.

Hah, I've learned a few lessons from this thread and found it amusing all at the same time. :)

I restarted, and thankfully was able to blitzkrieg back to where I was in little time. I am pretty amazed that you're able to destroy an entire city almost immediately and the game allows you to do so--that's pretty awesome.

That said, I haven't destroyed Megaton.

If you don't mind posting screenies, that'd be neat. FO3 doesn't look bad, but some of the textures are pretty bland.

fallout3201110070123051.png

fallout3201110070123280.png

fallout3201110070123594.png

fallout3201110070124115.png

fallout3201110070124569.png

fallout3201110070125563.png

fallout3201110070128373.png

fallout3201110070129273.png

fallout3201110070129352.png

fallout3201110070136578.png

fallout3201110070139061.png

fallout3201110070139496.png

fallout3201110070245050.png

Last edited:
Just wing it baby!

It really doesn't matter what you do. You can never be truly fucked unless you encounter a game breaking bug. Which rarely happens today after all the patches the game went through.

Fallout 3 uses games for windows live. Its puts saved games in different locations on your HDD depending on whether you are logged into live or not. If you start a new game being logged into live then you will have to log in every single time to access your saved games. Same with starting a new game if you arent logged into live. Ya, stupid I know, but thats just how it works.
http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1086

while i don't have any issues with gfwl, when I installed it on my laptop I applied that hack to it since I wouldn't always be near an internet connection.

You aren't really screwed, I mean that character is gone forever but the implications of that are fairly minor. You can't be far in to the game, if you can't stand the fact he's dead then just race through the start area again and back into megaton, it won't take more than an hour now you know what you're doing.

The thing about fallout is the games are designed so you can really do anything you want and you can't fail as such, you just take different paths, there's no real "wrong" way to play the game, you'll find yourself probably making a string of bad decisions throughout the game and having to put up with the consequences as you go, that's part of the fun!

Just remember to save regularly, create full save points every hour or so by going to the menu and manually saving, use quick save for regular saves every 2-3 minutes and you'll also get auto saves on level transitions etc, between them 3 you should never have to backtrack more than an hour to undo any changes you don't like.

Just as an aside,you can prevent the Sheriff's death,though it may take a few tries to get the timing right. The trick is killing Burke after the Sheriff confronts him,just before Burke shoots him in the back.Kill him too soon,and the town folk will see it as murder.

By the way, is it not possible to get a house in Megaton if Burke kills the Sheriff? I don't currently have any safehouse in the game and I already killed Burke and Tenpenny and the sheriff is dead.

Well now that I think about it I guess Tenpenny tower is mine now.

By the way, is it not possible to get a house in Megaton if Burke kills the Sheriff? I don't currently have any safehouse in the game and I already killed Burke and Tenpenny and the sheriff is dead.

Now you're thinking with portals!

Oh wait.. :p

The Sheriff's kid will cry to you about his daddy and then he says he wanted you to have this(key to the Megaton house)

I found the best thing to do is to accept Burke's offer, but don't go to Tenpenny tower. If you do it right, you can do all the quests in and that include Megaton and then blow it up(Tenpenny tower suite is much nicer than that crap in Megaton). Just remember if you have the expansions there is a mission in one of them AFTER the main quest that you can do(the one with the water and church)

Just as an aside,you can prevent the Sheriff's death,though it may take a few tries to get the timing right. The trick is killing Burke after the Sheriff confronts him,just before Burke shoots him in the back.Kill him too soon,and the town folk will see it as murder.

Now that you say that, I remember doing just that on my second play through. I actually did the same as the OP, but killed Burke just as you said and all was good.

My first play through, I blew Megaton up without realizing how many quests it kills.. but it was fun to watch the junkyard blow up lol.

I did buy all of the expansions, included with the steam GOTY bundle, for $29.99.

And whoa, those screenshots look much better than what I have--how much tweaking is required to get it to that state? Is all of that tweaking supported (ie, no third-party addons, just config edits, etc.?)

I am have much fun with Fallout. It's my first Fallout game, and also my first "Bethesda" RPG--I now realize that this game's play style is similar to the Elder Scrolls games.

No, you need to use mods.

Start with NMC textures and Fellout. Then you need lighting, weather, and sky replacements (there are a few options for these from what I remember). There is also a mod that replaces the faces. There is also ENB enhanced shaders.

I didn't go with fellout. Its too fuckin dark to play at night with that mod. It takes about 50 mods give or take to make it look like I have it, but its so damn pretty that its worth it. I am giving you a fair warning though. Its going to take a long time to get them all set up properly. Here is a great list of mods for FO3. Since this is your first time playing the game I would suggest skipping the wanderers edition mod. It changes the entire game drastically and makes it much more difficult. And yes you can mod your game without consequence. I have the GOTY edition on steam that is modded and runs just fine.

Fallout rule no.1: you always save before a decision
Fallout rule no.2: you always save before a decision

tbh.. just keep saving in games like fallout and tes, incase the outcome of your actions didn't suit you, you can always revert back.

Fallout rule no.1: you always save before a decision
Fallout rule no.2: you always save before a decision

tbh.. just keep saving in games like fallout and tes, incase the outcome of your actions didn't suit you, you can always revert back.

+1

I did this with Morrowind as well. In Fallout New Vegas I have so many saves though, or had so many saves when I played it. Most important rule of this game.

The Sheriff's kid will cry to you about his daddy and then he says he wanted you to have this(key to the Megaton house)

I didn't get the key? :/ He even said something about how he feels at ease when I'm around. Then I tried picking his pockets but there was only Iguana on a Stick.

Doesnt the sheriffs corpse give you some nice stuff early on?
Yes you get his hat and duster or something which give you small guns skill and charisma. And you get his Chinese Assault Rifle.

I didn't go with fellout. Its too fuckin dark to play at night with that mod. It takes about 50 mods give or take to make it look like I have it, but its so damn pretty that its worth it. I am giving you a fair warning though. Its going to take a long time to get them all set up properly. Here is a great list of mods for FO3. Since this is your first time playing the game I would suggest skipping the wanderers edition mod. It changes the entire game drastically and makes it much more difficult. And yes you can mod your game without consequence. I have the GOTY edition on steam that is modded and runs just fine.

I don't suppose you could list the mods you have and order installed and also comment on whether the game is stable?

In particular what is the night time one with the clear night sky with stars and moon?

Last edited:
. It takes about 50 mods give or take to make it look like I have it, but its so damn pretty that its worth it. I am giving you a fair warning though. Its going to take a long time to get them all set up properly.

what the fuck are you talking about lol? My FO looks just the same as yours it takes 1-4 mods, and takes about 5 MINUTES and extracting a few Zips, you're acting like you've had to hack into the matrix to make it look like that. Get real.

OP all you need is NEXUS High res texture pack (it's like 5 gb) but makes all textures super better, and you can also get the skybox mod. that's all you need to make it look like those screens

Yeah, NV really is the superior game. I was amazed at how different it felt from FO3.. in a good way.

I bought Fallout 3 GOTY from Steam again when I got bored of New Vegas after 48 hours playtime, now I've put 22 hours in FO3 and I can't wait to be done with it to return to Mojave. I think one of the reasons for that is I accumulated over 100,000 bottlecaps in NV and I don't want to do it again in FO3. :p

I haven't even hit lvl20 in FO3 yet and am just playing the last quests of Brotherhood of Steel which are really boring. Haven't played the other DLC yet and don't even plan to go through Mothership Zeta again.

Here's what my FO3 looks like by the way. NMC, Fellout and random texture mods as the only graphical mods.

Last edited:
Alright, here is the list of mods I am currently running. Although there are others that you can add, or subtract depending on your personal tastes and the only way to really test them is just trial and error. Several of my mods can conflict with each other so I had to alot of testing with load orders to make them all play nice. It took me a couple days to test everything and get it all straightened out. Maybe im just an idiot and it should have only taken me 5 minutes, but it didnt. Also like I said earlier I chose not to use fellout because at night in the game with that mod its stupid dark. Also, I dont currently have marts mutant mod running, which seems to be popular with other players, but you could easily add that to your list if desired.

modmanager.png

Also, here is a rough draft of what my load order would be like.

[X] Fallout3.esm
[X] Anchorage.esm
[X] ThePitt.esm
[X] BrokenSteel.esm
[X] PointLookout.esm
[X] Zeta.esm
[X] Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch.esm
[X] FACE2.esm
[X] Project Beauty HD version.esm
[X] Sharing and Caring Companions.esm
[X] CRAFT.esm
[X] CALIBR.esm
[X] FOOK2 - Main.esm
[X] FOOK2 - [*censored*] World And Neighbourhood Kit.esm
[X] FOOK2 - [DIK] DLC Improvement Kit.esm
[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - Main File.esm
[X] Mart's Mutant Mod.esm
[X] Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Operation Anchorage.esp
[X] Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - The Pitt.esp
[X] Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Broken Steel.esp
[X] Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Point Lookout.esp
[X] Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch - Mothership Zeta.esp
[X] CASM.esp
[X] CRAFT - Activation Perk.esp
[X] CALIBRxMerchant.esp
[X] Quicker Messages Combo.esp
[X] DarNifiedUIF3.esp
[X] FOOK2 - Main.esp
[X] FOOK2 - [DIK] DLC Improvement Kit.esp
[X] FOOK2 - Mothership Zeta.esp
[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - Main File.esp
[X] FWE - Weightless Ammo.esp
[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - Optional Sneak Msgs.esp
[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Anchorage.esp
[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Broken Steel.esp
[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Point Lookout.esp
[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC The Pitt.esp
[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Mothership Zeta.esp
[X] TAILOR MADE DLC COMBO.esp
[X] EVE.esp
[X] EVE Operation Anchorage.esp
[X] UWWUT.esp
[X] UWWUT - The Pitt Addon.esp
[X] UWWUT - Broken Steel Addon.esp
[X] CALIBR Ammo Schematics - CRAFT.esp
[X] CRAFT - Workbench and Crafting Expansion combined.esp
[X] CRAFT - WCE FOOK+FWE Patch.esp
[X] CRAFT Improvised Weaponry.esp
[X] CRAFT Improvised Weaponry - FOOK+FWE.esp
[X] CRAFT - EnergyAmmo.esp
[X] DREE PERK COMBO.esp
[X] UndergroundHideout.esp
[X] MTC Wasteland Travellers.esp
[X] MTC Wasteland Travellers (Optional)- Crowded Cities.esp
[X] Mart's Mutant Mod.esp
[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Anchorage.esp
[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC The Pitt.esp
[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Broken Steel.esp
[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Point Lookout.esp
[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Zeta.esp
[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - FOOK2.esp
[ ] Mart's Mutant Mod - FOOK2 - DIK.esp---------------built into FOOK+FWE+PB+MMM.esp
[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - FWE Master Release.esp
[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - Hunting & Looting.esp
[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - Feral Ghoul Rampage.esp
[X] SkillCheck.esp
[X] WastelandMastery.esp
[X] SCC - Talk to Anyone.esp
[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - FOOK Support.esp
[X] FWE - FOOK DLC Support.esp
[X] FWE-FOOK Merger Colossus Armors Plugin.esp
[X] RWI - Creatures and NPCs.esp
[X] RWI - DLC Addon.esp
[X] FOOK+FWE+PB+MMM.esp
[X] FOOK+FWE+EVE+UWWUT.esp
[X] FWE-FOOK bullets projectiles.esp
[X] KH_FWE Fixes and Tweaks.esp
[ ] KH_MMM override.esp
[X] RWI+PB.esp
[X] RWI-DLC+PB.esp
[X] FOOK 2 FIXES.esp

The mod for the night time moon and stars is FOOK 2.

also dont forget the STR bobblehead in Simm's house

loot the place, then nuke it. #1 fallout rule.

Back