Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey all.... I just received my i7-2700k from INTEL.... In order to swap out with my current CPU do I need to do a format/clean install of windows? I wouldn't see why not.... but what would be better. Correct me if i am wrong!!
-Thanks in advance.
No reason to format! Pop that bad boy in that socket and maybe do a CMOS and that's about it. I just swapped out my 2500k for my new 2700k from Intel I got a few days ago.
The 2700k is a bad ass MOFO CPU! Expect 10-25% increase in performance. I love it!
I wouldn't bother with a CPU.
On another note, you guys reinstall over a video card? Crazy. I've moved back and forth and never had a single problem.
I've swapped MB (Gigabyte P35 board to an Asus P45 to an Asus Z68), CPU (C2D E8400 to an Q9650 to an i7-2700K) hard drives (150GB Raptor to a 120GB Agility 2 to a 240GB Agility 3) and video cards (4870X2 to a GTX480 to a GTX580) without reloading Windows 7 once. I have had zero issues.
You'll be fine.
Make sure you update the BIOS first, to make sure it supports the 2700K clock speeds. No reason, at all, to re-install for that swap. Even a motherboard swap is fine with Win 7.
CPU's between same manufacturer and same motherboard? Never any need to reinstall.
Motherboard swap? XP will need a repair install. Windows 7 will require a few reboots and then a reactivation, and will usually work perfectly.
Motherboard swap between AMD/Nvidia and Intel chipsets? Reinstall. Even windows 7 may have problems since the chipset drivers are so different.
CPU's between same manufacturer and same motherboard? Never any need to reinstall.
Motherboard swap? XP will need a repair install. Windows 7 will require a few reboots and then a reactivation, and will usually work perfectly.
Motherboard swap between AMD/Nvidia and Intel chipsets? Reinstall. Even windows 7 may have problems since the chipset drivers are so different.
I've actually have done a swap for a friend from a am2 system to a sandy bridge and windows 7 didn't require a reinstall. Pretty crazy. Vista and up are pretty portable in this respect. The only thing they don't seem to like is switching between ahci and legacy ide mode.
Worth pointing out - some software ties activations to hardware, and a CPU swap requires re-activation.
This was particularly problematic for me using Photoshop CS5. It only has two activations, and one was on my laptop. I couldn't "de-activate" the license from my old CPU, since the old CPU was no longer in place.
So...had to call into their support. That wasn't awesome.
I'd recommend de-activating your 'activated' software before the swap. iTunes, any Adobe CS* products, etc.
You won't need to de-authorize iTunes - that is tied to your Apple ID (usually your e-mail address), not your hardware. (I'd know, as I use the *same* AppleID for my Hack software, such as iTunes, and the remainder of my Apple software, whether OS X or Windows.) Adobe CS-series products? That truly biteth.
so what everyone is saying is i can go from a q9550 to a core i7 new mobo and ram and not have to reinstall unless i have a oem OS?
You will be prompted to reauthorize. Other than that, it'll work fine.
what if the internet is unplugged?
Then you can call in... or use it in trial mode for a little bit until the internet is plugged back in.
Even a motherboard swap is fine with Win 7.