Just pulled the trigger on dual 480's. Opinions?

Who is trolling now? Just for you, I played Metro 2033 until fan speed stabilized, then took a screenshot of eVGA precision. I see now you're backpedaling and saying 70%, but you did say 100% before.

And just for you, I recreated the same conditions and then used two different programs to verify.

So seriously, stop spreading false info.

templr.png

this is with 2 Fan blowing, at it. imagine what happen when it stress without it... I don't want to take off the fan I have setup in there just for your trolls, its too much of work to rewire everything right now in my case.

spreading false info? I think you are the one who is doing it..

even [H] is showing exceeding over 90c under stress gaming, but yours are not for some reason...:rolleyes:

wow 3 pages. Well I went with one GTX 480 and an i7 setup, instead of two, because honestly right now, the only game that needs it is metro 2033. Considering Water cooling, rather get an exos kit but that runs at 450 while a back mounted swiftech kit runs at 350. Both of these are external because my case is a midtower, but I'll see how my 480 does on air before I go to WC. Btw when you guys compare temps what is the temperature in your room where the pc is located? My room is pretty hot, but in the spring my gtx 280's stay below 90c even in furmark.

wow 3 pages. Well I went with one GTX 480 and an i7 setup, instead of two, because honestly right now, the only game that needs it is metro 2033. Considering Water cooling, rather get an exos kit but that runs at 450 while a back mounted swiftech kit runs at 350. Both of these are external because my case is a midtower, but I'll see how my 480 does on air before I go to WC. Btw when you guys compare temps what is the temperature in your room where the pc is located? My room is pretty hot, but in the spring my gtx 280's stay below 90c even in furmark.

room temp is 24c here.

we are not comparing temp, its someone trys to give out false info that 480 will runs @ 60% fan max under stress gaming. which is clearly false.

room temp is 24c here.

we are not comparing temp, its someone trys to give out false info that 480 will runs @ 60% fan max under stress gaming. which is clearly false.

you guys know that you live id diffrent parts of the world, with diffrent cards, and with diffrent cases and diffrent case fans?

You guys call call each other lairs all you want but you're bot proablly legit.

I just stated my fan runs 60% max - Dude that always bashes nvidia immediately refuted that without knowing the specifics of my setup. And BTW, ambient temp is 72F+ for my system. I think maybe shansoft just has a bum card or he's purposefully playing around with things to spread false info.

Anyway, my statement still stands and I backed it up with screenshots.

I just stated my fan runs 60% max - Dude that always bashes nvidia immediately refuted that without knowing the specifics of my setup.

Anyway, my statement still stands.

You can try to read some other review with the card and see if they are what you claim to be :rolleyes:

I am not bashing nVidia or anything, what did I even bash on? Temp? LMAO...

Just because I said something you disagree, doesn't mean I am bashing certain company.

I just stated my fan runs 60% max - Dude that always bashes nvidia immediately refuted that without knowing the specifics of my setup. And BTW, ambient temp is 72F+ for my system. I think maybe shansoft just has a bum card or he's purposefully playing around with things to spread false info.

Anyway, my statement still stands and I backed it up with screenshots.

So Shansoft proablly has a case with less airflow or slower case fans and maybe you have a realy good card.

Temps vary greatly card to card, so no need to flame each other over diffrent tmeps.

There are quite few other games that 5870 still outperform, Just Cause 2, Crysis, DiRT 2 etc...

I won't say 480 is a performance crown, since its still not outperform 5870 entirely.
Very limited to the title that people plays.

Went from 5870->480, I can clearly tell you the performance from gaming performance experience are very similar, nearly identical, beside Metro 2033 is noticeably smoother.

if you are on water, you should be able to go up even more, I have mine on air and I am hitting 860 :eek:

also, if you have Phenom II X4 4Ghz, GTX 480 SLi or 5870 SLI will be a waste.

I have test several games that have huge difference comparing to Core i7, especially Crysis that truly show how Core i7 shine. (HT Off of course)

480 on 60% of fan isn't that loud, but its definitely louder than any case fan unless you have some really crappy one.

also, 480 will rarely stay up to 60%, mostly up to 80%+... nearly 100% when playing some stressful game like Metro 2033 and Crysis.

JDK, thanks for taking the time publish correct information. I don't care how hot the card is, it never automatically hits 100% fan speed.

Individual game performance
Saying a 5870 is a better performer than a GTX 480 in Just Cause 2 is completely incorrect. If you were completely ignoring image quality and special effects, and calling it better solely based on frame rate, that is entire possible. The 5870 doesn't render all the detail the 480 has, because Just Cause 2 is a TWIMTBP title.

And Dirt 2? GTX 480 spanked the 5870 and did a good job competing with the 5970! The 5870 only competes at 2560x1600:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2977/...x-470-6-months-late-was-it-worth-the-wait-/16
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=888&type=expert&pid=10
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=24000&page=11

[H] reviews require more thought that higher FPS = better. [H] cranks the settings up on each card and plays at maximum image quality, not maximum frame rate, and that's different between cards. The review here has the 5870 providing a better frame rate, but higher quality image settings on the 480.

And finally Crysis. Yes, the 480 effectively ties the 5870:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2977/...tx-470-6-months-late-was-it-worth-the-wait-/9
http://hothardware.com/Articles/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-480-GF100-Has-Landed/?page=11
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=24000&page=10

Keep in mind, the frame rates in almost all games are also increasing since the launch drivers have been updated. It is substantial enough to make a playable difference: http://hardocp.com/news/2010/05/24/nvidia_beta_256_drivers_released

Your personal experience
If you have experienced decreased performance upgrade from a 5870 to a 480, you should call technical support.
If your fan is turning to 100%, you should call technical support.
If your fan is turning over 60% while playing Crysis, you should call technical support.

Regarding the 480, with launcher drivers, being the performance king:
"Heat and power aside, the GeForce GTX 480 graphics card is impressive as they took the single GPU performance crown back from ATI and that was no easy task. "
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1258/16/

" If you want the fastest single-GPU graphics card then the GTX 480 is the best there is and if you want a reasonably priced enthusiast solution then the GTX 470 is a worthy pick as well."
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=888&type=expert&pid=14

"The 3-Billion transistor GF100 is a very capable chip, both in terms of gaming and in terms of compute performance and NVIDIA owns the single-GPU performance crown again."
http://hothardware.com/Articles/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-480-GF100-Has-Landed/?page=17

"At $500 the GTX 480 is the world’s fastest single-GPU card, but it’s not a value proposition."
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2977/...x-470-6-months-late-was-it-worth-the-wait-/20

"...GeForce GTX 480 becomes the world's fastest single-GPU card..."
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=24000&page=17

Granted, all of these snippets remove the part where the reviewers comment about heat output, power requirements, and price, but they leave no question as to who is king of the single GPU market.

UPDATE: I see, you actually are experiencing errors with your 480:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1524005

Once those are worked out, your performance will likely return to normal levels. Good luck.

So Shansoft proablly has a case with less airflow or slower case fans and maybe you have a realy good card.

Temps vary greatly card to card, so no need to flame each other over diffrent tmeps.

I disagree. I have seen no data saying temps vary from one card to another in the same case. I have seen people running this hot, hot card in a case with poor airflow. If that's the case, the person should take corrective action instead of sitting on the forum complaining that their experience is so much worse than everyone else.

I understand we can't all have Antec xxxx Hundreds, Obsidian x00D's, etc, but anyone who read reviews of this card and spent $500 on one should be aware that they will need superior air flow to cool the beast. If they want to complain that their card is running obscenely hot, or the fan is running at speeds much higher than normal, they should also post pictures of their cooling solution to remind people it was the users choice to run the hot card in a closed cupboard.

Last edited:

[H] review have something call "Apple to Apple" comparison, which both of them have same exact setting if you did not notice.

And yes, 480 indeed provide optional graphic setting in JC2, but on the same setting 5870 still outperform it.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/05/04/just_cause_2_gameplay_performance_image_quality/5
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/03/25/nvidia_fermi_gtx_470_480_sli_review/6

read it closely. I would like to see where is that "SPANK" from, rather than canned reviews. or something not even closer to [H].

and btw, where did I mention the fan goes up to exactly 100%? as I said previously, its nearly 100%, which is 90%+. (Above 87% they pretty much the same noise)

If your GTX 480 never goes above 60% fan, perhaps its time to see if the card is not even under stress or functioning correctly. :p

And as I said it previously, 480 outperform most, 5870 outperform some, it all comes down to what game you play, YMMV...

If you really spend that long time typing up all this thing just to disagree every single point that I make with your perspective, then I really have not much to say but your opinion.

I disagree. I have seen no data saying temps vary from one card to another in the same case. I have seen people running this hot, hot card in a case with poor airflow. If that's the case, the person should take corrective action instead of sitting on the forum complaining that their experience is so much worse than everyone else.
I see you don't understand how chips are made.

All the cores cut come the wafer will always vary somewhat in quality. That is why one card can overclock to 1000MHz while another might get stuck at 950MHz. Or why NVIDIA and ATI sell three different boards with the same GPUs - just with one cut down or turned slightly off. They strip the GPU down as necessary to get it to run.

These all correspond with chip quality - a chip that has very low leakage will run cooler than a high leakage chip.

So you could very well have two of the same board running quite differently in the same case.

All the cores cut come the wafer will always vary somewhat in quality. That is why one card can overclock to 1000MHz while another might get stuck at 950MHz. Or why NVIDIA and ATI sell three different boards with the same GPUs - just with one cut down or turned slightly off. They strip the GPU down as necessary to get it to run.

These all correspond with chip quality - a chip that has very low leakage will run cooler than a high leakage chip.

So you could very well have two of the same board running quite differently in the same case.

This!

Or based on the amount of fanboyism he compiled in his post maybe he really does think the 480 never goes above 60% fan and beats the 5870 in every game/benchmark? I find people will believe just about anything to justify their more expensive purchases.

So seriously, stop spreading false info.

Are you using only ONE monitor or a dual display setup? Dual displays run significantly hotter than a single display setup, up to 15c+ higher. I know that for a fact. My GTX 480 SLI reaches 93c under load on each gpu and I have a monitor attached to each one of them.

Are you using only ONE monitor or a dual display setup? Dual displays run significantly hotter than a single display setup, up to 15c+ higher. I know that for a fact. My GTX 480 SLI reaches 93c under load on each gpu and I have a monitor attached to each one of them.

I'm using only one monitor. That's cool if it gets hotter with dual displays, that wasn't what was being debated. I simply stated mine never goes above 60% fan usage, which it doesn't.

My opinion is that it was a good idea to cancel one of your ordered cards, one is plenty for 99% of 1080p gaming.

This!

Or based on the amount of fanboyism he compiled in his post maybe he really does think the 480 never goes above 60% fan and beats the 5870 in every game/benchmark? I find people will believe just about anything to justify their more expensive purchases.

"Bawwwwww," the sound of a butt hurt, projecting fanboy, telling me I'm the fanboy because I linked many, many reputable, unbiased sources who all agree the GTX 480 is a better performing card than the 5870.

You couldn't even be bothered to link a series of reviews to say otherwise.

I have the facts, you have an opinion... now who's the fanboy?

Also, my computer after playing Crysis at stock clocks for ten minutes:

It peaked at 65%, which is fairly quiet. Than fan is set to auto, even though the slider shows it at 100%.

I see you don't comprehend what you read.

"I have seen no data saying temps vary from one card to another in the same case."

I am well aware of the binning processing and leaky chips. I have not seen any data showing one GTX 480 being significantly more hot than another GTX 480.

You're response is purely academic, providing no insight into the differences between one 480 and the next. No data. Until we see responses from GTX 480 SLI owners saying one of their cards runs 20°C hotter than the other, I'm calling it a non-issue.

Last edited:
Shansoft is a habitual whiner. There was someone who aggregated all the reviews across all games/resolutions and the 480 won by about 15%. It's probably closer to 20% with the 256 drivers now. Maybe its not the card for you if you're a pansy who complains about heat and power, but there's no dispute that it's the better performer.

[H] review have something call "Apple to Apple" comparison, which both of them have same exact setting if you did not notice.

And yes, 480 indeed provide optional graphic setting in JC2, but on the same setting 5870 still outperform it.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/05/04/just_cause_2_gameplay_performance_image_quality/5
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/03/25/nvidia_fermi_gtx_470_480_sli_review/6

read it closely. I would like to see where is that "SPANK" from, rather than canned reviews. or something not even closer to [H].

That article I linked to on [H] about the new NVIDIA driver told us Just Cause 2 received a 25% frame rate increase after the driver update.

This allows it to spank the 5870 after [H] did their review. Here is a benchmark post 257 drivers:
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=24925&page=5

BFBC2 now performs better on the 480 than it does on the 5870.

and btw, where did I mention the fan goes up to exactly 100%? as I said previously, its nearly 100%, which is 90%+. (Above 87% they pretty much the same noise)

You're right, you said nearly 100%... which is an exaggeration and spreading bad information. Yes, if I run Furmark Xtreme Burning Mode, I can hit 90% fan speed. I haven't found a game that rips my GPU up that way. And I've played a lot of games at 120hz vsync (real 120fps), often in 3D, and with everything maxed.

If your GTX 480 never goes above 60% fan, perhaps its time to see if the card is not even under stress or functioning correctly. :p

And as I said it previously, 480 outperform most, 5870 outperform some, it all comes down to what game you play, YMMV...
If you built a box exclusively for AvP, the 5870 would be a better performer. But I haven't met the person who has a $2,000+ gaming rig exclusively for AvP.

If you really spend that long time typing up all this thing just to disagree every single point that I make with your perspective, then I really have not much to say but your opinion.

It is important to correct people who are giving advice when they are handing out incorrect or otherwise bogus information when people come asking for advice. It is important people are given accurate information, allowing them to make well informed decisions.

Last edited:
I see you don't comprehend what you read.

"I have seen no data saying temps vary from one card to another in the same case."

I am well aware of the binning processing and leaky chips. I have not seen any data showing one GTX 480 being significantly more hot than another GTX 480.

You're response is purely academic, providing no insight into the differences between one 480 and the next. No data. Until we see responses from GTX 480 SLI owners saying one of their cards runs 20°C hotter than the other, I'm calling it a non-issue.
You aren't going to find a whole lot of data specifically looking for this because frankly it would be pointless to research. I can tell you though that I have had 3 different 5870s in my case and all of them ran a few degrees C different of each other given otherwise the same environment. I understand my response was academic, but since that is how chips are binned, it shouldn't be that far of a stretch to assume that there are 480s that run poorly compared to others.

I been playing BC2 for a quite awhile now, I can tell you there is NO WAY you can have 83.5fps on avg with 1680*1050 + 4xAA.

about JC2, I don't have the game with me right now since I do not own a copy but using friend's steam. I will personally test on that, since several people do report 257 driver have worse performance in JC2..

I kept playing single player, and the FPS is about 60-70ish NEVER goes avg with 83.5 unless you just stare at something or walk around the non-active zone.

I can easily call that review a CANNED benchmark. Reputable source? sorry its not..
Ever wonder why I only trust 2

As I posted above, the fan is running around 83% with stock fan with 2 60MM fan blowing at it while playing Metro 2033. without those 2 fan it will urn @ 90% without a doubt.

Giving accurate info? Base on the Hexus one, NO WAY that is accurate.

I am not going to argue this anymore, pointless and people will never agree or disagree, and tired of certain people always jump in and flame the crap out of it.

Yay!

Took long enough!

Just tired of fanboys overall.

like some ATi fans will take heat and power consumption into extreme level of cautious, like things might blows up or something, while nVidia fans tries to defend every possible point with non-sense reason, canned benchmark, or even urban myth of shit driver to back up their point.

If you stand in the middle, anything you said that falls into the eye of either fans, they will do whatever they can to argue with you, non-sense or not, from top to bottom until you give up, which I just give up now... :eek:

Just tired of fanboys overall.

like some ATi fans will take heat and power consumption into extreme level of cautious, like things might blows up or something, while nVidia fans tries to defend every possible point with non-sense reason, canned benchmark, or even urban myth of shit driver to back up their point.

If you stand in the middle, anything you said that falls into the eye of either fans, they will do whatever they can to argue with you, non-sense or not, from top to bottom until you give up, which I just give up now... :eek:

Yep.

Can't reason with the fanboys.

Like trying to convince the pope that god doesn't exist.

"Bawwwwww," the sound of a butt hurt, projecting fanboy, telling me I'm the fanboy because I linked many, many reputable, unbiased sources who all agree the GTX 480 is a better performing card than the 5870.

You couldn't even be bothered to link a series of reviews to say otherwise.

I have the facts, you have an opinion... now who's the fanboy?

Also, my computer after playing Crysis at stock clocks for ten minutes:

It peaked at 65%, which is fairly quiet. Than fan is set to auto, even though the slider shows it at 100%.

Easy there, I can see that you take your fanboyism very seriously. I said you were wrong because you said:

If your fan is turning over 60% while playing Crysis, you should call technical support.

and

Because you seem to think the 480 is the second coming of Christ and beats the 5870 in every benchmark.

As for your first point you've now disproven yourself and apparently your computer is broken, you better call technical support.

As for your second point you just need to tone down the enthusiasm on the 480 and take the blinders off for a second. Even discounting the heat, noise, and power issues flat out it performs marginally better in most titles and gets marginally outperformed by the 5870 in some and yet it still costs $100 more than the 5870. It's a card that they took an extra 6+months to bring to market and it doesn't unequivocably beat the 5870 even though it costs $100 more.

Do I think the 480 is a bad card? No

Do I think the 480 is disappointing? Yes

Define canned benchmark.

And let's look at what set off these lengthy replies:
There are quite few other games that 5870 still outperform, Just Cause 2, Crysis, DiRT 2 etc...

This is not true, at least not anymore, as I have addressed.

also, 480 will rarely stay up to 60%, mostly up to 80%+... nearly 100% when playing some stressful game like Metro 2033 and Crysis.

I couldn't address Metro 2033 because I don't have it. Crysis, I did address.

I flubbed it up when I said the fan shouldn't go over 60% when playing Crysis. It really does hit 65%. But before performing the measurements myself, how was I to tell the difference? The fan is nearly as quiet at 60% as it is at 65%.

You're (elox alone) trying to discredit my responses by attacking my character. That's an odd response. But I don't really care about that, the measurable data speaks for itself. Sure I think the 480 is better than the 5870... but I must have missed the part where I said it cured cancer or was faster than the 5970. Nothing I said was that far off base.

The GTX 480 outperforms the 5870. Period. It's such a tired argument, but people still debate it. Power hungry? Extremely. Hot? Yes. Loud? Yes. At least the latter two problems are solved with recently released OEM coolers and after-market coolers. Check that Hexus review I linked.

And bringing the catholic reference into this, calling me a fanboy because I have measurable data on my side of the argument while all you present are opinions makes you the fairy praising loony.

I'm not arguing this to convince shansoft to buy a 480, he already has one. I am arguing this because people read these forums when researching their next big purchase, and its important someone try to cut through the bullshit with (once again) real, measurable data. I don't have the time to do what these reviewers do, sadly I don't get to have their job, but that doesn't mean we can't make the most of the many, many source available to us online.

You can have the cynical attitude that everyone of these sites are corrupt and their data is invalid, but then you'd also have to be completely batshit crazy, live in a hole, and believe nothing but what your closest friends tell you... because they're obviously more informed than these "journalists." >.>

You can have the cynical attitude that everyone of these sites are corrupt and their data is invalid, but then you'd also have to be completely batshit crazy, live in a hole, and believe nothing but what your closest friends tell you... because they're obviously more informed than these "journalists." >.>

You seem to mistakenly think I am disagreeing with the information from the sites you presented. Where have I said that? I didn't, you are making an assumption. In fact if you read the conclusions of the reviews they generally agree with what I've said anyways.

The price gap between it and the Radeon 5870 is well above the current performance gap
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2977/...x-470-6-months-late-was-it-worth-the-wait-/20

the Radeon HD 5870 is cheaper to produce, consumes less power, is quieter, and it costs about 25% less ($499 vs $399). And AMD also has the dual-GPU powered Radeon HD 5970 in its arsenal, which remains the fastest single-graphics card available for most current game titles.

and

the GeForce GTX 480 is late to market, the GPU consumes a lot of power and hence generates a lot of heat, even with "only" 480 of its 512 shader cores exposed, and its performance lead doesn't exactly jibe with its projected 25% price premium.

http://hothardware.com/Articles/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-480-GF100-Has-Landed/?page=17#ixzz0qHIg2vEz

Radeon HD 5970 remains the world's fastest graphics card, GeForce GTX 480 becomes the world's fastest single-GPU card, and Radeon HD 5870 is still a very good bet at sub-£300. Given a choice with value factored in, we'd take the HD 5870.
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=24000&page=17

I could sit here and quote the very sites you used and how their overall conclusions seem to agree with mine but that isn't what I was talking about. But hey if you want me to quote some sites there you go from the very sites you used as well so you can't call it less credible than your own quotes.

My problem is I feel you are spreading misinformation. You are cherry picking the few nice things those sites had to say about the 480 and quoting those as if they were the overall findings of the review which they were not. Secondly you claim that the fan should NEVER go above 60% and if it does so then something is broken which you've already disproven for yourself when you went above 65% on a measly 10 minute gaming session and posted that.

If you have some quotes from reputable sites you want to share where they back up your statement that the fan should never go above 60% then I'm all ears. Otherwise you are spreading misinformation.

My problem is I feel you are spreading misinformation. You are cherry picking the few nice things those sites had to say about the 480 and quoting those as if they were the overall findings of the review which they were not. Secondly you claim that the fan should NEVER go above 60% and if it does so then something is broken which you've already disproven for yourself when you went above 65% on a measly 10 minute gaming session and posted that.

If you have some quotes from reputable sites you want to share where they back up your statement that the fan should never go above 60% then I'm all ears. Otherwise you are spreading misinformation.

60% or 65%, really doesn't make much of a difference. The audible fan noise does not go up discernibly between the two. Some times mine goes to 64, some times 65, no big deal. 60% was close enough. I can't hear mine over the case fans until I manually throttle it up to at least 80%, so it really doesn't matter to me. What does bother me is when someone tries to put it out there that GTX 480's are terrible when it comes to noise and that I'm wrong when I say I can't hear mine over my case, as if they can hear my system better than I can or something. Then I back it up with a screenshot and I'm still wrong. Ignoring the proven facts and continuing with ones bashing agenda is the definition of fanboyism.

Now if you want to say something that is clearly misinformation, you will say that a stock GTX 480 sits at 80% or sometimes "up to" 100% fan usage during gaming.

60% or 65%, really doesn't make much of a difference. The audible fan noise does not go up discernibly between the two. Some times mine goes to 64, some times 65, no big deal. 60% was close enough. I can't hear mine over the case fans until I manually throttle it up to at least 80%, so it really doesn't matter to me. What does bother me is when someone tries to put it out there that GTX 480's are terrible when it comes to noise and that I'm wrong when I say I can't hear mine over my case, as if they can hear my system better than I can or something. Then I back it up with a screenshot and I'm still wrong. Ignoring the proven facts and continuing with ones bashing agenda is the definition of fanboyism.

Now if you want to say something that is clearly misinformation, you will say that a stock GTX 480 sits at 80% or sometimes "up to" 100% fan usage during gaming.

Far be it from me to tell you you're wrong when you say your 480 noise isn't loud. Just looking at some of the reviews tends to disagree though and without knowing you I tend to trust them.

I fired up the new DX11 game title Aliens Versus Predator and with GPU-Z in the background I saw the temperature reach 99C while gaming for around 30 minutes. At this temperature the fan is spinning at 70dB and it honestly was not an enjoyable gaming experience.

I don't know, but 70db is bloody loud and I can only assume much more than 60-65% fan speed.

Here's a site that has some decent fan numbers with gaming benchmarks.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=149400

Out of the 9 games they tested the average fan speed required for the games was about 70%. However that appears to be with the case open and a 120mm fan blowing on the heat pipes to maximize cooling. I can certainly see how people could think that 80% fan speed is normal if they don't go to these measures to cool their systems.

The fan speed IRSmurf quoted was for 60% playing Crysis which he later revised to 65%. This site ran Crysis at 77% fan speed with a GPU temp of 94degrees. If you have other reviews that show less then I'm certainly interested, but otherwise I have to take what the reviews and seemingly majority of the community says when it comes to fan speeds during gaming.

That doesn't mean I don't believe you but I think you really need to stop and consider before claiming 60 or 65% as fact based only on your personal experiences when those don't tend to jive with what information is out there from the professionals then you have to expect that someone looking for information on the 480 and seeing 60% max in Crysis or there's something wrong would be getting misinformation, which is what was stated earlier.

Far be it from me to tell you you're wrong when you say your 480 noise isn't loud. Just looking at some of the reviews tends to disagree though and without knowing you I tend to trust them.

Something to consider is that everyone has varying ambient temps too. For many of the reviews I found, if their peak temp levels were 4 degrees higher than mine, their idle temps were also 4 degrees higher than mine, which points to me that they were probably in higher ambient temps than I am.

I fired up the new DX11 game title Aliens Versus Predator and with GPU-Z in the background I saw the temperature reach 99C while gaming for around 30 minutes. At this temperature the fan is spinning at 70dB and it honestly was not an enjoyable gaming experience.

I don't know, but 70db is bloody loud and I can only assume much more than 60-65% fan speed.

You might want to read this entire page, that claim of 70db is malarky.

http://guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-470-480-review/13
Code:
TYPICAL SOUND LEVELS
Jet takeoff (200 feet)	120 dBA	 
Construction Site	110 dBA	 Intolerable
Shout (5 feet)	100 dBA	 
Heavy truck (50 feet)	 90 dBA	 Very noisy
Urban street	 80 dBA	 
Automobile interior	 70 dBA	 Noisy
Normal conversation (3 feet)	 60 dBA	 
Office, classroom	 50 dBA	 Moderate
Living room	 40 dBA	 
Bedroom at night	 30 dBA	 Quiet
Broadcast studio	 20 dBA	 
Rustling leaves	 10 dBA	 Barely audible
The idle noise levels coming from the card are fine really, in idle you will not hear the card as we measured 39~40 dBA, which is below the threshold of noise from the PC itself.

Card setting	dBA IDLE	dBA FULL LOAD
GeForce GTX 470	39	42
GeForce GTX 480	39	45

Ever since the release today of the GeForce GTX 400 series there has been much discussion regarding the noise levels the cards make under load. Especially the GTX 480 is topic of much discussion. Some sites show numbers up in the 60 to 70 DBa, which honestly just isn't right.

What happens is that people measure differently and often subjectively. If you place a DBa gun a CM away from the graphics card ventilator then sure, you record really high noise levels. But if you play games, do you place your ear directly on the air exhaust ? Of course not, that just does not make sense to us.

We measure real-life conditions. That means we take a distance of 75cm from the PC and place a DBa gun pointed at the PC. We assume your PC chassis is closed and not open, so is ours. Now to proof to you that the GTX 480 is noisy, but definitely not what some media make it claim to be I made two video's of the GTX 480 in idle and under heavy stress with Furmark.

The end result is A PC creating roughly as much noise as say a GeForce GTX 295. And again, we are not disputing that this isn't noisy, contrary .. it is noisy alright. But to say it's at a the level of 60~70 DBa makes no sense.

Additionally, his max fan speed was within 5% of mine, but from looking at his chart, his min speed was higher too which leads me to believe his ambient starting temp was higher. Not to mention that we don't know what methods he used to create GPU load.

imageview.php

Here's a site that has some decent fan numbers with gaming benchmarks.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=149400

Out of the 9 games they tested the average fan speed required for the games was about 70%. However that appears to be with the case open and a 120mm fan blowing on the heat pipes to maximize cooling. I can certainly see how people could think that 80% fan speed is normal if they don't go to these measures to cool their systems.

The fan speed IRSmurf quoted was for 60% playing Crysis which he later revised to 65%. This site ran Crysis at 77% fan speed with a GPU temp of 94degrees. If you have other reviews that show less then I'm certainly interested, but otherwise I have to take what the reviews and seemingly majority of the community says when it comes to fan speeds during gaming.

That doesn't mean I don't believe you but I think you really need to stop and consider before claiming 60 or 65% as fact based only on your personal experiences when those don't tend to jive with what information is out there from the professionals then you have to expect that someone looking for information on the 480 and seeing 60% max in Crysis or there's something wrong would be getting misinformation, which is what was stated earlier.

I hear you, but on the other hand, people quoting 80+% need to stop and think about what they're saying too. We can quote reviews and take screenshots all day, but the fact of the matter is that a stock GTX 480 playing GAMES (not synthetic benchmarks) in normal room temperatures is not, or is barely, louder than the rest of your fans in your system. It is definitely not the noise monster so many fanboys make it out to be.

I hear you, but on the other hand, people quoting 80+% need to stop and think about what they're saying too. We can quote reviews and take screenshots all day, but the fact of the matter is that a stock GTX 480 playing GAMES (not synthetic benchmarks) in normal room temperatures is not, or is barely, louder than the rest of your fans in your system. It is definitely not the noise monster so many fanboys make it out to be.

I agree that people claiming 80%+ need to back that up or they are also spreading misinformation as well as the 60% claim. From what I've read 70% is where the fan speed starts to get loud and if you are below those numbers then it makes sense that it may be barely louder than the rest of you system at 65%. However, in a game like Crysis which reached 77% during their testing, I can see that getting quite loud.

Individual game performance
Saying a 5870 is a better performer than a GTX 480 in Just Cause 2 is completely incorrect. If you were completely ignoring image quality and special effects, and calling it better solely based on frame rate, that is entire possible. The 5870 doesn't render all the detail the 480 has, because Just Cau.....blah blah blah

Nvidia GeForce GTX 480/470 vs. ATI Radeon HD 5870/5850 It's all here Fraps measured. nufsaid.

No need to quote the crap - Dr.Evil.
incoming infraction lulz

I don't know how much louder or quieter the 480's fan is in comparison to the 5870, but my fan regularly hits 60-65% and it's much louder than the ambient noise level from my case. If I push the voltage up to overclock even more I've seen the fan hit 75% and that is only endurable with headphones.

Last edited by a moderator:
my personal opinon of op is FAIL

lol I'm not paying 400 for a 5870. To each his own I guess. I did cancel one card. No need for two. running 92c on furmark right now. Not too much different from my 280's in terms of temps. Will see how it is on a hot day 85+F inside house. I love southpark btw. NO MAAM

lol I'm not paying 400 for a 5870. To each his own I guess. I did cancel one card. No need for two. running 92c on furmark right now. Not too much different from my 280's in terms of temps. Will see how it is on a hot day 85+F inside house. I love southpark btw. NO MAAM

Yep, I honestly can't see why people are flaming you.

I think there just jellous.

Back