Just pulled the trigger on a no review monitor(New Asus Model)

Bought if off Amazon at 360, my dad had a $300 dollar reward thing with amazon so a 60 dollar upgrade i paid for this isn't bad :D Free shipping said 5-7 days, but i ordered on monday and Fedex said delivery would prob be tommorow. NEGATIVED, ill get you on the width if no one else does after i get it.
awesome. I just "upgraded" my desk... I think it will fit...Ill make it fit...this isgoing to be sweet... I'm just waiting for a check to be mailed to me...

I thought I had my mind all made up on a 25.5" 16:10. Now I go and read this.

Hmm.
It is $100 cheaper and 16:10 which I somewhat prefer. But this looks NICE. Anyone have an issue with the DPI/pixel pitch?

I was curious about the dot pitch as well. For me, .311mm would normally be a deal breaker. But who knows, if this monitor exceeds expectations in viewing angles, maybe Asus worked some magic on the pixels as well (if you know what I mean ;)).

I just got it today.. Better than expected... not as good as my 24" gateway when viewing angle. you really cant tell when viewing in angles, but the quality of the pictures is way better even on Blu-ray Movie. The only thing sucks about it was you cant adjust the height...

Okay, i just got the monitor today as well. It is certainly a good upgrade to a 27 inch from a 20 inch. There are some things i dont like, i am getting SLIGHT backlight bleed on the top of the screen, but i have ZERO dead pixels/stuck pixels.

The response time is LEGIT on games like MW2 + CS:S looks great. The color is not bad at all, but i am certainly going to callibrate it with the THX optimizer when i get the chance.

NEGATIVEDECIBEL: Here are your measurements:

25 and 3/8 inches accross, so 12.6875 inches halfway.

The stand diameter is 8.625 inches.

It looks like Amazon ran out of stock and is now using Buy.com as the primary retailer. Price: $339.99 with free shipping!

EDIT: Newegg dropped to $339.99 as well.

Looking into this as I was originally looking at the HP 2170m, Haans 28" how do you feel it compares? I really wanted 16x9

how are the vertical viewing angles from below on this? Also does the stand tilt?

Vertical viewing angles are meh.
Stand tilts back and forth.
Honestly the picture quality is pretty damn good when viewing 1080P material, and gaming is absolutely fantastic.
The VGA quality from 1920x1080 on the XBOX 360 IS ABSOLUTELY STUNNING.
Played gears 2 for a little bit and it was hard to put the controller down.

It looks like Amazon ran out of stock and is now using Buy.com as the primary retailer. Price: $339.99 with free shipping!

EDIT: Newegg dropped to $339.99 as well.

Heh, maybe my Eyefinity will come a bit sooner than planned if they drop the price a bit more :p

Has anyone had a chance to compare this to the Dell U2311? I know, different techs, different screen size... but just about the same price. Thanks.

RE: Illogicalbeetle

I may be the person you're looking for. I just compared the U2311 to a bunch of other monitors here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1537510

I already have my shipping return label for the U2311 but I may be able to pick up the ASUS VE276Q this afternoon and do a direct comparison before I send it back to Dell.

For what it's worth, I prefer my Asus 24 Inch TN to the Dell U2311. E-IPS isn't nearly the same quality picture as S-IPS or S-PVA IMHO.

Pastuch, in your opinion what's the best 27/28" monitor in the 300-400 range?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Pastuch, in your opinion what's the best 27/28" monitor in the 300-400 range?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

For 300 to 400 you're buying a TN based monitor in that size range. No choice there. A used Dell 2709 is a great alternative but only if you don't game at ALL.

If you like 16:10 over 16:9, which most people do, then the Hanns G HH-281 is a great deal on Newegg for $300. 1920x1200 is better than 1920x1080 for PC use IMHO. It's 28 inches. The Hanns Gs have generally good reviews and low input lag for gamers. Ghosting is minimal.

If I were you I would buy the new ASUS VE276Q because I need to run mirrored displays. My projector is 1080p so my computer monitor needs to be 1080p (1920x1080). The initial reports here and an excellent and detailed customer review on Amazon.com indicate low input lag, good viewing angles and solid color accuracy. From my personal experience Asus builds the best TN based LCDs on the market. I prefer my current Asus VW246h (TN) monitor to the Dell U2311 (E-IPS).

Pastuch, if you ever pick a VE276Q, could you possibly test for input lag? That'd be infinitely appreciated!

I actually am leaning towards the Asus as it seems to be better than the Haans. does the 1080 just signify 1080p the HD signal? Why is 1200 better? Game & movie wise is there a big difference?

I actually am leaning towards the Asus as it seems to be better than the Haans. does the 1080 just signify 1080p the HD signal? Why is 1200 better? Game & movie wise is there a big difference?

1080P refers to any display with a resolution of 1920x1080. The Hanns G is 1920x1200. The extra resolution means that you have more vertical space. This is important for web browsing and many games. Web browsing is probably the biggest advantage for a 16:10 aspect ratio (1920x1200 or 1680x1050) because you can see more of a webpage before you need to scroll down. It means less scrolling in RTS games like Starcraft II. In first person shooters it means you can see a bit higher up without having to move your crosshairs. This is also true in games with jets like Battlefield 2.

If you're thinking that a "1080P" monitor won't have any black bars in movies you are incorrect. Most films are shot at 2.4:1 Aspect Ratio which means a 1080P image (1.78:1) aspect ratio won't fill the screen. You will still have black bars. If you're wondering why the movie Directors film at 2.4:1 AR that is because they believe a wider field of view is closer to what the human eye experiences. It's a lot more complicated than that but I don't feel like explaining all the motivations for doing 2.4 or 2.35 over 1.78 or 1.81.

I would disagree with the 16:10. I prefer the ENTIRE screen to be used especially when watching 1080P movies. Im not a big fan of the black bars, especially on the XBOX 360.

I would disagree with the 16:10. I prefer the ENTIRE screen to be used especially when watching 1080P movies. Im not a big fan of the black bars, especially on the XBOX 360.

Sid 1080P movies don't fill your screen. Only 1.81 or 1.78 movies fill a 1080p screen. 2.4 or 2.35 movies still have black bars on a 1080P screen. Blame Hollywood Directors for this.

Xbox 360 and PS3 are on my 1080P 118 Inch projector. It's epic. So are most of my PC games actually.

Edit: If you find my comment above confusing go look at the back of any of your DVDs or BluRays. It will tell you the aspect ratio of the film. Avatar was 1.78:1. Gladiator was 2.4:1 just as an example.

Sid 1080P movies don't fill your screen. Only 1.81 or 1.78 movies fill a 1080p screen. 2.4 or 2.35 movies still have black bars on a 1080P screen. Blame Hollywood Directors for this.

Yeah. I was looking forward to moving from a 4:3 screen to a 16:9 display so that I could watch widescreen movies without the black bars. Guess what? Most of them still have black bars. Ugh...good thing they disappear once I'm a couple of minutes into the movie.

I read somewhere that Starcraft 2 was built for 1080p and that you actually see less on a 1920x1200 monitor.

It might indeed have been designed with 1080p in mind, but you won't see less with more pixels. That's just a logical impossibility. That would be like saying, well it was designed for 1080p, you may see less with it across 3 monitors... Just use common sense.

FYI 1920x1200 has also been referred to as 1080p by manufacturers even though technically it should be called 1200p, no? Same goes for 1366x768 being referred to as 720P, etc.

Well, i mean all the 1080p movies i download, the x264 MKV's and even the WMV HD 1080P files the vast majority of them do not have black bars on a 16:9. I only know this because my previous monitor was a 16:10. Shows for instance that i used to watch on my old monitor (Like true blood) that i watched on my new monitor (16:9) NOW fill up the screen. More and more movies, even Avatar 1080P (its a 25 GB x264) fill up the entire screen, but obvi didnt on the 1080p. Black bars will still be an issue BASED ON the movie. Gladiator for instance, black bars. Sadly also, Transformers 2 black bars on either 16:10 or 16:9.

P.S i know not all 1080p movies fill the screen, which is why book of eli makes me cry that it doesnt. :( Also Dark Knight (some select scenes it does)

RE: Illogicalbeetle

I may be the person you're looking for. I just compared the U2311 to a bunch of other monitors here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1537510

I already have my shipping return label for the U2311 but I may be able to pick up the ASUS VE276Q this afternoon and do a direct comparison before I send it back to Dell.

For what it's worth, I prefer my Asus 24 Inch TN to the Dell U2311. E-IPS isn't nearly the same quality picture as S-IPS or S-PVA IMHO.

Thanks for the reply and the link. That was helpful. I look forward to reading your thoughts on this fellow. You seem to have a nice collection of LCDs in your recent history.

Yes, I'm also awaiting your thoughts Pastuch. It's always better when you have other monitors to directly compare with, vs. buying one and having that new purchase excitement that tends to make you hype things up with excessive praise while overlooking flaws.

I wish you could compare with the MT276HE though. :)

It might indeed have been designed with 1080p in mind, but you won't see less with more pixels. That's just a logical impossibility. That would be like saying, well it was designed for 1080p, you may see less with it across 3 monitors... Just use common sense.

It's not logically impossible. If the game was designed only in 16:9 then a 1080p monitor would show more than a 1920x1200 monitor. The 1200 monitor would cut off part of the image and then fill the screen; otherwise, it would have to stretch and distort the image. Would you rather watch a movie on a 24" 16:10 monitor or on a 24" 16:9 monitor?? Easy, you'd choose the 16:9 because the image would be larger. However, if this game can display and utilize other aspect ratios then a 1920x1200 should show more of the game.

You shouldn't bash me for not using what you think is "common sense". Of course I know that more pixels means a larger viewing area. What I said wasn't absolute knowledge. I read about this months ago; maybe it was just a spurious article. Yes, 1920x1080 is commonly refered to as the video standard 1080p; however, 1200p isn't as common so I say 1920x1200..

Last edited:
I think I'm going to order one of these. The pictures look almost too good to be true for a TN panel.

I'm currently using one of the old Westinghouse 37 inchers that's still going strong, but the thing turns my tiny little computer room into an oven during the summer time. It's incredibly uncomfortable if the thing's been on for an hour or more.

I'm thinking a newer slightly smaller and more energy efficient display would help my heat issue significantly.

^^
I definitely think this monitor is great for gaming with the different display modes right out of the box. Now, when it comes to movie watching the story is a tad different. 1080P MKV x264 files look good but i felt as though i needed to tinker with the settings more than usual. I ended up using the NVIDIA control panel video settings to make the movies look better.

Gaming though, i find superb. The speed is great, and Team Fortress 2 looks BOSS.

I've got an LG l246wp and am ready to size up. This one looks good so far. My LG is about as perfect a monitor as I think I'll ever find. No backlight, good color and not too much blur also no dead pixels, but just ready for a larger monitor. I've had the LG since it came out. I'd prefer LED, but will wait a year or two to take that plunge.

^^
I definitely think this monitor is great for gaming with the different display modes right out of the box. Now, when it comes to movie watching the story is a tad different. 1080P MKV x264 files look good but i felt as though i needed to tinker with the settings more than usual. I ended up using the NVIDIA control panel video settings to make the movies look better.

Gaming though, i find superb. The speed is great, and Team Fortress 2 looks BOSS.

I wonder if they improved the presets, because on my ASUS VH242HL-P they sucked big time! I use the standard mode for everything and I just adjust the colors and stuff with CCC. I even use the standard mode for the 360.

Heres mine..

-Desktop, Screen Saver Flash on/off .
-Viewing Angle No flash

DSC09815.jpg

DSC09813.jpg

DSC09819.jpg

DSC09817.jpg

DSC09816.jpg

DSC09820.jpg

DSC09818.jpg

DSC09826.jpg

DSC09836.jpg

DSC09851.jpg

DSC09841.jpg

DSC09845.jpg

DSC09837.jpg

DSC09862.jpg

DSC09857.jpg

Last edited:
Just placed my order from Buy.com (via Amazon). Will chime in here with photos and thoughts when I receive it.

Crap balls that monitor looks like someone insude of ASUS is a fan of eyefinity.. Small bezels & displayport.. & not 500+ per each either..

haha Fox is pretty quick
they managed to remove a tiny video -- with barely any content and close to no views -- in less than 1 hour

their ninjas are strong

Back