Just ordered the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA

Hi, i will buy WA in a couple of days, and i'm wondering, if the brightness at 0% would be too big for me, can i fix this in gpu's drivers to get let's say 90cd/m2?
Or doing this would just darken the picture?
Is the mexico panel really brighter than China one at 0% brightness?
Anyone?

I had to UP my brightness to 17 from my preferred setting of 3 to stop the buzzing noise. I found out that 17 is the lowest (highest?) I can go where the buzzing stops, or at least inverts upon itself and cancels out most of the high frequency pitch. If I go above 21, it starts back up again. I'm curious if other 2209WA monitors are the same way.

This unfortunately made me lower my contrast quite a bit. It's sitting at 58 now which is somewhat comfortable, but its also daytime. Tonight it might be too bright.

You have a bad inverter, replace the monitor under warranty if you can. This has been discussed ad nauseum in this thread.

Well, I got my replacement monitor and it does the same thing. So either it's a manufacturing defect, or they're all this way and I'm sensitive to it. My bandaid fix above alleviates most of the sound (actually, the frequency that's irritating), so I'm okay with that. It's still the best monitor in it's class, so it's not like I have another choice.

Erm, you mean country? Slovenia, Europe =)

Does anyone know if Dell will make 2209WA A02? And anyways, if brightness would be an issue, i will simply return it and pick something else..
More likely a U2210W or similar if Dell continues their current new public naming conventions . . .

Tim

As far as how I ordered it, I did do it online. I found a link that worked and allowed me to process the order. I don't know if I should post it, and have tons of people trying to do it, so they cancel a whole batch of us that found a hole in the system. I guess if you guys think it is ok to post, I will do it. Or if you want to PM me, I can shoot out the link that way. Note that there is a 20% coupon which I believe expires the 13th, which is Thursday. I am sure some other promotion will come out after that, probably 30% off just to make me feel bad. :p

Just in case someone out there doesn't feel like sending a PM to get the working link, here you go:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&oc=2209WA

Last edited:
Since there are a lot of people who are getting units with issues, I thought I should add my positive experiences.

GRADE:
A

REASONS:
Quick Shipping
Easy to deal with Sales Representative
Excellent Products
Great Price

STORY:

I bought 2 2209WAs about 2 months ago. They said a 1 week wait, but they were shipped the next day(bought on Sunday, shipped on Monday); and they arrived on that Thursday to Grand Rapids, MI on their free shipping. I paid $212 a piece shipped for new units.

USE TYPE:
I use these as portrait oriented side panels to a Samsung LN40A500 40" 1080p LCD HDTV. The TV is connected via an HDMI connection routed through a Marantz sr4002 Receiver and in no stages has the video processed. The Dells are hooked up directly via DVI connections. The TV is set at 1920x1080@60Hz and the Dells are both set up at 1680x1050@60Hz.

The panels are used for AutoCAD 2010, Visual Studio 2008, Office, Visio, Project, DVD viewing, Gaming, and Internet browsing. They are not used for photo or video editing. They are on and used about 3 - 4 hours daily; 7 days a week and have been the last 2 months.

DESIGN ISSUES / REVIEW:

The boxes had all appropriate cables as they should, and they were in cosmetically excellent shape. The monitors were great right out of the box as far as external condition. I got out a color chart and CD from a few years back that can help do a rough color calibration and tuned the monitors. On both units there are no discolorations or any uneven backlighting and there were no noises while operating(no humming).

The stand does not allow the unit when oriented as a portrait to go up more than about 3/4", which is an issue as they are portrait oriented. When oriented vertically, the stand has enough play in the mechanism that the panel is oriented about .5 - 1º off from true vertical.

Basically, I will in the future be using aftermarket stands. This can be said if I bought any of the other numerous displays available.

My monitors are at about 5 months of daily use now, still no issues with noise, backlighting or discolorations. The play in the stands' mechanism is unchanged, no worse off.

Just thought to do an update.

And now the question becomes, do we try to find a 2209wa and buy the few that seem to be still available? or do we wait to see what dell has to offer come October?

And now the question becomes, do we try to find a 2209wa and buy the few that seem to be still available? or do we wait to see what dell has to offer come October?

Well I ordered August 11th, and it's estimated delivery is August 21st. Not too bad of a wait at all, granted YMMV.

Depends on what you want. If you want a 22" IPS screen at 1680x1050 resolution with a matte screen, this is the only game in town. Dell's next product line might be 23 or 24" and be 1920x1200. An HP might get you a glossy screen. A Samsung will probably be S-PVA. I don't want any of those factors. (To me, 1680 is perfect for a 22" screen.)

So you have to ask yourself, do you feel lucky? ;)

If I own a 20 inch 2007 & would like a 22 incher what can I do w/ it? Also is the 22 inch Dell guaranteed to be a IPS?

Just got my 2209WA setup. Got it for $200 shipped + tax from Dell(spoke to a rep till they gave me the price).

This monitor is so beautiful, I wish I ordered it earlier but I'm glad I waited to upgrade to a 22" non TN panel from my 17" TN.

Anyone calibrate it yet?

So, having missed the $200 special, I ended up ordering three 2209WAs on August 7th, through the hidden small business link when a 20%-off coupon became available. Estimated ship date was October 15th......yet I just got confirmation today that the monitors have shipped!! 2 week turnaround instead of 2 months!

So, at least Dell seems to still be honoring the enthusiast orders.

So, having missed the $200 special, I ended up ordering three 2209WAs on August 7th, through the hidden small business link when a 20%-off coupon became available. Estimated ship date was October 15th......yet I just got confirmation today that the monitors have shipped!! 2 week turnaround instead of 2 months!

So, at least Dell seems to still be honoring the enthusiast orders.
Wow that's surprising that Dell honored you order. Maybe I should order one, I just don't want to wait forever to find out I will never get one.

Why would Dell want to keep selling this when they can make you pay much more for 24" IPS. meanwhile everyone else is selling garbage 22s for the same price at a much higher margin. Seems like a logical move to me, at least for a company of shady practices like Dell.
I don't see why they wouldn't want to sell a cost effective 24" e-IPS that more people would be able to buy. The only problem I see is that it would cut into their high end U2410 sales. Would be interesting to know how comparable the costs would be for Dell to manufacture between the two. Too bad it will probably never happen though.

Where is the link to get this monitor at 223$? Is it def a e-IPS?? How much might a 2007 Dell Flat panel go?

Where is the link to get this monitor at 223$? Is it def a e-IPS?? How much might a 2007 Dell Flat panel go?

There is a link on the previous page, and yes there is no panel lottery on the 2209wa that I know of.

As far as how much you will get for your 2007, I guess it depends on the condition. I also seem to believe that the 2007wfp had a panel lottery on it as well, and if I remember right the VA doesn't live up to the IPS. But anyhow I would guess around $100 on e-bay give or take a bit.

*Edit* Yep panel lottery http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1111100

It should be pretty self explanatory regarding how to use a coupon on this monitor.

1. Browse whatever typical coupon/deal site of your choice (slickdeals, etc)
2. Look for a deal someone has posted on any dell monitor
3. Try that coupon on the 2209wa

Most coupons for dell monitors(/"electronics") will work universally, the 15% ones pop up pretty often, 20% coupons only tend to pop up for one week of per month or so.

It's not that hard :confused:

Sorry for all the questions but I havent been following any computer stuff for years. None of the coupons work. Is this the best monitor to buy right now for this price/size? What are HD LCD's?

Last edited:
Sorry for all the questions but I havent been following any computer stuff for years. None of the coupons work. Is this the best monitor to buy right now for this price/size? What are HD LCD's?

The answer to your first question is yes, absolutely 100% yes. Nothing comes close.

HD LCDs are simply LCDs with a 1080p (1920x1080) resolution. 1920x1080 is a different aspect ratio (16:9) than the native resolution of the 2209WA (1680x1050, 16:10).

Hope that helps.

I've exhausted all efforts. I emailed tons of customer reps. I called Small Business sector & was told they are not selling this monitor anymore & its been replaced w/ a Dell S2209W. Ive used Live Chat & was redirected to a rep, no word from him yet. Doesnt seem likely that Ill get one of these..Is there any 23 inchers for a good price that are IPS?

Last edited:
I've exhausted all efforts. I emailed tons of customer reps. I called Small Business sector & was told they are not selling this monitor anymore & its been replaced w/ a Dell S2209W. Ive used Live Chat & was redirected to a rep, no word from him yet. Doesnt seem likely that Ill get one of these..Is there any 23 inchers for a good price that are IPS?
As has already been said: you need to buy it through the Small Business link that was posted a few pages ago.

That price is $279.

To get a discount, as Siggy123 stated, you have to wait for/find a coupon for any other small business monitor and apply it to the 2209WA. If it doesn't work, try another one. I found a 20% coupon for a 19" monitor that I applied on Aug. 7th, which got the price to $223.

10% off select Electronics & Accessories Coupon Code: WKF35JP9FR9BLQ expires: Aug 20, 2009

that should bring it down to $250

Last edited:
Does anyone know where I can buy one of these monitors now? I chatted with two different Dell salespeople and they said that they are out of stock, and Dell is working on an upgraded one.

The answer to your first question is yes, absolutely 100% yes. Nothing comes close.

HD LCDs are simply LCDs with a 1080p (1920x1080) resolution. 1920x1080 is a different aspect ratio (16:9) than the native resolution of the 2209WA (1680x1050, 16:10).

Hope that helps.

Not quite...an HD display needs to have a resolution of 1280x720. Anything equivalent or above is considered HD.

1080p is simply what Sony and the other LCD manufs called FullHD as just a marketing term, it's not a real technical term.

imo 1680x1050 is the best resolution for a monitor...higher resolutions get a bit too small for me to read easily.

20% off coupon CPWZ3?K93D5GV1 knocks it back down to $223. Says it expires Thursday August 27th. Just thought I'd let [H] know what I found.

I think there's also some random Paypal promotion going on that will let you knock off another $10, but I can't remember where I saw it, sorry.

Just ordered mine. Even though I'm thinking of getting a slim PS3, the draw of this monitor was too much. I've been using a 19" LCD for like 5 years now. Ugh.

Excited to see how fast it'll ship. Used the 20% off coupon successfully.

20% off coupon CPWZ3?K93D5GV1 knocks it back down to $223. Says it expires Thursday August 27th. Just thought I'd let [H] know what I found.

Thanks for the code. I decided to give it a shot. Estimated delivery date is 9/29/2009.

It just dropped $50 in Australia today, so I ordered it. I entered live chat to request my original, more expensive order to be canceled, and the agent actually said "wat r u looking to purchase".

im in ur sales team demoralizin ur customers.

I ordered this 5 days or so ago, $300 w/ tax (ordered before you guys posted the 20% coupon, previous one that was posted had expired :( ) But anyway the ship date says end of October so my hopes aren't exactly good at this point.

I ordered one on 8/7 without any expectation of actually receiving one because of the extreme backorder. Initially it gave me a ship date of 8/15 then a few days later it changed to 10/15. At that point I pretty much figured I wasn't getting one. Well, to my surprise, the other day I got an email saying it shipped. The monitor arrived yesterday.

It replaced a 6yr old Samsung 191T which was on its last leg. Wow, what a difference. The Samsung was great for its time but this upgrade was really long overdue. This really is a beautiful monitor like everyone has been saying.

Hope everyone gets theirs soon.

Just a quick update: I also ordered 8/7 and just received my three 2209WAs today. Zero bad pixels, as near as I can tell. Beautiful screens.

I now have them successfully hooked up to TH2GO, running at 5040x1050 (using nVidia's 190.56 drivers).

Game on!

Back