just ordered Starlink

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
Just sharing, no questions or anything.

So I just ordered starlink.

I like Elon and I absolutely cant stand Comcast at all. 1000% hatred for this monopolistic shit bucket operation called Comcast.

Yes im willing to shed my 1gbps cable for Starlink. I live at the very end of thier high speed line so I qualify for Starlink mid 2021 in my area.

Thus,

Screenshot_20210212-100733_Firefox.jpg

Last edited:
what are all of your upfront costs?
99 preorder deposit

399 charged when shipped. So youre basically buying the dish etc... way I figure it, it is kind of like crowdfunding in a way.

I have a full Unifi setup in house, wifi 6, dream machine pro, etc... so I will use my unifi router and not starlinks which is allowed.

Let us know how it goes. I really hope Starlink takes off and gets these ISP's off their asses. I live in a major area and get Fiber 150/150 for 54$ a month so its plenty for me.

Ordered today, mid to late 2021 here, so we'll see how it goes.

Only double the cost of 40mbps here, so even if it's just 200mbps it's not a bad deal. Fiber literally across the tracks, but the cheapest service over here is $45 + $$$? Nah, fam.

Just ordered mine in DFW area (Prosper, TX).

Current ISP (Suddenlink) gigabit service is really more like 400/5 in the evenings with occasional shit packet loss. Very frustrating. Going to set this up as a Multi-WAN and split my traffic depending on application. Cannot wait!

Ordered today, mid to late 2021 here, so we'll see how it goes.

Only double the cost of 40mbps here, so even if it's just 200mbps it's not a bad deal. Fiber literally across the tracks, but the cheapest service over here is $45 + $$$? Nah, fam.
It will scale much higher as the satellite volume increases especially when they activate laser networking between the sats.

Just ordered mine in DFW area (Prosper, TX).

Current ISP (Suddenlink) gigabit service is really more like 400/5 in the evenings with occasional shit packet loss. Very frustrating. Going to set this up as a Multi-WAN and split my traffic depending on application. Cannot wait!
You got it all the way down here? They let you order and sats are available? I had heard there was a school district in Texas that was getting it as a beta test, was that prosper? I have U-verse and pay $130 a month for 85/16 ($30 for unlimited). The down is decent, but the up doesn’t fit my life style very well 😏

EDIT: I think I understand what you meant now, you did the pre-order. I went ahead and did that as well just now. Said projected roll out of mid to late this year for DFW.

Last edited:
You got it all the way down here? They let you order and sats are available? I had heard there was a school district in Texas that was getting it as a beta test, was that prosper? I have U-verse and pay $130 a month for 85/16 ($30 for unlimited). The down is decent, but the up doesn’t fit my life style very well 😏
Sounds like you need Starlink

85 is not much in todays internet.

Starlink is averaging 150 to 220 right now in most beta tests locations. When they go live later this year we should see 150 avg with it eventually scaling to near Gigabit speeds.

Sounds like you need Starlink

85 is not much in todays internet.

Starlink is averaging 150 to 220 right now in most beta tests locations. When they go live later this year we should see 150 avg with it eventually scaling to near Gigabit speeds.
I really doubt that.

You doubt what? On average all the reviewers are showing around 150 to 220 avg mbps and there are a ton of them out there.

Once more sats get into orbit bandwidth will increase.
The service will not reach gigabit speeds... And those average speeds will drop once more people get on the service. I hope I am proven wrong

EDIT: I think I understand what you meant now, you did the pre-order. I went ahead and did that as well just now. Said projected roll out of mid to late this year for DFW.
It's available here in Abilene, TX as well. A guy I know already got his.

For me the reason against Starlink is the latency. Fiber will get you low and consistent latency, Cable can be a tiny smidge higher, whereas Starlink is ranking from low 20s to 50s. Linus had a video on Starlink recently and the latency showed itself while reading through streaming comments on Youtube and other rapid I/O tasks. I would also think gaming is affected similarly.

seems a perfect solution for most of my family who all live very rural, my mom's internet is only 35/mo but the highest speed she can get is 3/1 yep only three megs down and 1 up...if she's lucky other times it is half that. Than my sister who literally has no options for internet and is using 4g hotspots...

I paid my deposit and I'm waiting for the order to come through. I'm really on the fence about this. I have a few questions/concerns.

Currently we are on Cable, 330/25, paying a ton to have a business plan so that there are no monthly caps.

-In the beta there is supposedly no monthly data cap, but any idea if there will eventually be a cap, and if so, how much? I usually do ~4TB monthly combined up and down, sometimes less, sometimes more, sometimes much more.
-What are the final speeds supposed to be? I get that right now it's dependent on the incomplete satellite constellation, but what about when that is finished? I'm very curious about the upload speeds, as the 25mbps upload I currently have is fairly lackluster.
-Do you get a public IPv4 address? I run a small web server on my own connection mainly for hosting images as well as sending files to people (makes it easy when I can just toss something on the webserver and give them a link).
-Any issues using your own router, without having to resort to anything ghetto like double-NAT, etc? I've heard that others have, but would still like to verify.
-What are real-world ping times like? I'd like to keep it <100ms during gaming if possible. Currently I get ~75ms with the main game I play.
-How long is the cable that it comes with that connects to the dish? I'm trying to figure out how far away from the house I cold potentially set the dish up.

I paid my deposit and I'm waiting for the order to come through. I'm really on the fence about this. I have a few questions/concerns.

Currently we are on Cable, 330/25, paying a ton to have a business plan so that there are no monthly caps.

-In the beta there is supposedly no monthly data cap, but any idea if there will eventually be a cap, and if so, how much? I usually do ~4TB monthly combined up and down, sometimes less, sometimes more, sometimes much more.
-What are the final speeds supposed to be? I get that right now it's dependent on the incomplete satellite constellation, but what about when that is finished? I'm very curious about the upload speeds, as the 25mbps upload I currently have is fairly lackluster.
-Do you get a public IPv4 address? I run a small web server on my own connection mainly for hosting images as well as sending files to people (makes it easy when I can just toss something on the webserver and give them a link).
-Any issues using your own router, without having to resort to anything ghetto like double-NAT, etc? I've heard that others have, but would still like to verify.
-What are real-world ping times like? I'd like to keep it <100ms during gaming if possible. Currently I get ~75ms with the main game I play.
-How long is the cable that it comes with that connects to the dish? I'm trying to figure out how far away from the house I cold potentially set the dish up.
There is no data caps officially announced. It doesnt make sense that there would be as caps are an artificial limitation to extort your money.

Cable is 100 feet

You absolutely can use your own router and completely remove the included ine. No 2x natting.

Latency and speeds can be witnesed as of now in YTube reviews.

It tends to be 30 to 50ms at 150 mbps depending on your location.

Remember there are only 850 satellites up right now. The FCC has approved 12,000 so it will get MUCH better.

Last edited:
I will add im not terribly excited to have to pony up 399 when its ready though uggh

But its a phased array antenna and those are very advanced and expensive.

Imagine that $300 Mil is what it cost for the Aegis Spy Radar system on a cruiser and destroyer

SmartSelect_20210223-185524_Firefox.jpg

It tends to be 30 to 50ms at 150 mbps depending on your location.

I'm more curious about upload speeds, and not so much what current speeds are but more what their goal is for when the system is complete. Is this going to be like most home internet connections where often even "Gigabit" plans only have ~20-50Mbps upload speeds, or will upload speeds actually be fast (100Mbps+)?

I'm more curious about upload speeds, and not so much what current speeds are but more what their goal is for when the system is complete. Is this going to be like most home internet connections where often even "Gigabit" plans only have ~20-50Mbps upload speeds, or will upload speeds actually be fast (100Mbps+)?
Hrrm I suppose upload will be limited to transmit bandwidth spectrum allowance as well as the power output of the transmitter. Assuming the whole system uses 90 watts, the ERP is probably several hundred watts due to the nature of beam forming phased array antenna. Id chock this one up to protocol and satellite saturation as the limiting factor. Or if the 12ghz spectrum they are using is limited to say.... 500mhz wide on each side band (I have no idea what it is), they may limit 75% of that 1ghz spread to downstream and only 25% tp up etc...

Back