Just ordered a 9800pro, what to expect?

lowdy15

n00b
Just signed up on the forums, but Ive been lurking around for a while now.

Right now I have a GF4 ti4200, its probably the worst card Ive ever owned. Not because its given me trouble, but just because it flat out couldnt handle any of the new games that came out after I bought it.

Ok, anyhow, on to my question. I built my gf's father a computer for christmas. I got him a sapphire 9700pro (took me 2 weeks to get it stable, luckily though I didnt experience any artifacting like tons of other people are complaining about on the sapphire forums) and I want to know what the difference will be between that, and the card I ordered. Will it be small at best? Where does the 9800pro outshine the 9700?

Thanks for your time.

yes but dont expect huge increases, maybe 5-15 fps difference in most games... radeon is better but what u see on paper is just a 10% increase... dont expenct the worlds best card even tho the 9800 pro is awesome

Originally posted by quiksilverx181
yes but dont expect huge increases, maybe 5-15 fps difference in most games... radeon is better but what u see on paper is just a 10% increase... dont expenct the worlds best card even tho the 9800 pro is awesome
yes, but it is pretty much the worlds best card........

Yea, im rather excited. I bought Deus Ex thinking my ti4200 could handle the game. Boy was I wrong. Its been sitting there doing nothing.

I did try it out on my gf's dads computer though. The 9700 handled it very well. So im excited to play it when my 9800 arrives.

I also upgraded from a Ti4200 to a 9800 Pro.

WOW

Get used to AA and AF out the yin-yang because you'll be able to crank it. I just finished a long session of Knights of the Old Republic at 1280x960 4xAA 16xAF. Oh yea!

I upgraded from a Leadtek Ti 4600 to a 9800 Pro

Got increases in most games but nothing earth shattering.

Raven Shield seems to look better on a Ti 4600 for some strange reason.

Some people say Counter Strike performs better on nVidia cards - it might.

But most games did perform better.

Deus Ex II plays like complete crud on a 9800 Pro.

Halo was barely acceptable on a 9800 Pro but nothing to write home about.

Why do these X-Box ports perform so badly on high end video cards (or at least ATI cards) ?

NFS Underground is gorgeous but the game itself is cr@p - another console port.

I'm really hating these console ports, can you tell?

Halo, Call of Duty and NFS: U all run great on my computer with 4x AA and 8x AF. I run the FPS games at 1024x768 (I think) and NFS:U at 1280x1024. Haven't tried Deus Ex: Invisible War yet. Doesn't look that good on the XBOX in my opinion... does remind me of Morrowwind, though.

i have the 9800 pro 256 meg like in my sig.

get used to ut2k3 and every other game out there at 1600x1200 with 6xAA and 16xAF. it's awesome. :)

I just got my card, it's got the mirror finished heat sink thinger. really goofy looking but so far i'm liking the card.

I just recently moved from OC GF 4 ti 4200 to and ATI 9600XT and I saw a huge difference. Frame rates were typically better on Direct X 8 games I play, but by able to use AA and FAA, the quality of pictures and video was substantial. And, you are upgrading to a faster card than mine. You will see a difference. And, you will be able to current upcoming Direct X 9.0 games w/ most of the eye candy.

Expect the sun to go down with swirling gustful winds all the while while you play your new card. The equator shall shift and the stars shall fall.

Originally posted by lowdy15
I have the standard 128mb version. 256 is a little out of my league (price wise)

I had to buy the 128 mb version at best buy because i really needed something in the computer. Just before 30 days were up I realized I could get a 256mb version (free shipping) for only $20 more than the 128mb model was with tax. I decided to live without a video card for a bit and did so.

Originally posted by xxaaqq
Halo, Call of Duty and NFS: U all run great on my computer with 4x AA and 8x AF. I run the FPS games at 1024x768 (I think) and NFS:U at 1280x1024. Haven't tried Deus Ex: Invisible War yet. Doesn't look that good on the XBOX in my opinion... does remind me of Morrowwind, though.
Halo runs great on your PC? wow, first time I've heard someone say THAT...it seems to slow down even the best hardware. Way to optimize, Bungie:rolleyes:

Deus Ex II plays like complete crud on a 9800 Pro.

Yeah. DX2 is one of the sloppiest ports I've played. Playable, but it doesn't really run well on any current hardware.

A close 2nd place for 2003 disappointment of the year. With UFO: Aftermath taking the prize.

I think that most folks who are un-awed when upgrading from a Ti4x00 to a 9800 (NP, Pro, XT) are for the most part playing onlder games and aren't that big on AA/AF. I myself, always wanted to run AA on my 4200, but the performance hit was so high I was better off just running 1152 or 1280 w/o AA.

Well now I can, I haven't run into a game or demo yet that I can't run at good framerates at 1024/4xAA/16xAF. Nasty console ports not withstanding. For the most part I run either 1280 or 1600 w/ 4xAA/16xAF.

The kicker here (which I find so cool) is that this isn't just that I'm running these settings just to say I am, and getting lousey framerates. No, you can run wild with the settings and actually be immersed in the game without stutters or hiccups, which is one of th reasons we want bigger and badder acellerators in the first place right?

420/360 is about average.

mine did 465/372

new cooler, did 472/372, removed shim, 479/372, vgpu mod 484/372.

add really cold air, 520/372. i'm sure with the TEC i'll manage to hit around 540 gpu.

more than what my TEC did a few months ago.

Originally posted by Stang Man
420/360 is about average.

mine did 465/372

new cooler, did 472/372, removed shim, 479/372, vgpu mod 484/372.

add really cold air, 520/372. i'm sure with the TEC i'll manage to hit around 540 gpu.

more than what my TEC did a few months ago.

Are you running the TEC on the same loop as your CPU? Or not bothering with it

Originally posted by neoreturns
Are you running the TEC on the same loop as your CPU? Or not bothering with it

i didn't bother trying, as my whole water loop is frozen solid! it's around -5F today, and the antifreeze just gave. :(

i would like to try with the tec again, but who knows when it'll unfreeze. and yes, it all runs with a cpu

my bench setup is outdoors, in a shed.

shed temp = outside temp.

i even used antifreeze, and it's frozen solid today.

Halo runs great on your PC? wow, first time I've heard someone say THAT...it seems to slow down even the best hardware. Way to optimize, Bungie

Hate to burst your bubble, but the port to pc was handled by gearbox, not Bungie. ;)

I can't do much AA/AF on my 2001FP at 1600 x 1200 w/ my 9800 pro :( So I gotta turn down the resolution to be able to crank that stuff up, which is fine, but I'd rather have 1600 x 1200 w/ out the AA and AF. and ya, 9800 pro is the ultimate in beastyness for buck.

what ? lol .. 9800 pro was the best card just 2 months ago..

anyways.. expect a lot of joy and happiness, this is going to be a crazy year for games and that 9800 pro will play them all..

Let's get real here. The people that are having trouble with their 9800Pro are probably doing something else wrong. Either processor too slow, running at too high of resolutions with or without AA/AF, drivers not installed correctly, etc. Something else is wrong. Why would a whole bunch of other people have no problems? Just sounds strange, that's all.:eek:

My system isn't overclocked. Halo runs fine. Looks good, in my opinion, too. Comparable to the XBOX, if not better.

Everyone says NFS:U is just a console hack, but I think it looks incredibly better than the PS2 version. Haven't seen it on XBOX.

I've seen people play Halo on an Athlon XP 1700+ and Radeon 9200. Sure the settings weren't cranked, but it was still playable.

Originally posted by xxaaqq
My system isn't overclocked. Halo runs fine. Looks good, in my opinion, too. Comparable to the XBOX, if not better.

Everyone says NFS:U is just a console hack, but I think it looks incredibly better than the PS2 version. Haven't seen it on XBOX.

I've seen people play Halo on an Athlon XP 1700+ and Radeon 9200. Sure the settings weren't cranked, but it was still playable.
well, OK, Halo was PLAYABLE on my P4 1.6 + Radeon 8500, but I had to turn the settings down quite a bit. My roommate's 2.4c+Radeon 9800 could play it at 1024, but no higher, which is strange considering that card can play most games at even higher resolutions at a higher FPS. Basically, Halo isn't THAT bad, but it taxes your system more than you'd think for a 5 year old game.

Halo runs great on my pc.... get a solid ~60 fps on it, anywho, a response to who quoted me, 9800xt and geforce fx 5950 ultra are the top cards rite now, 9800 pro is awesome, dont take me wrong but i expected complete awesome fps on everything like on deusx (i know that game has bad fps on all cards but its just an analogy) and when i played the gmae it wasnt as high fps as i thought, i still get great performance tho so dont get me wrong. Oh and in the near future pci xpress will kick all these cards @**

"a 5 year old game"

WHAT! Halo was just released for PC this year. The technology for the game is not five years old.

Oh and in the near future pci xpress will kick all these cards @**
Highly doubt PCI express will make that huge of a difference on its own. Look at what apg 8x did.. almost nothing. The cards running on it, however, (r423, nv4x) will be what really do the damage. Its highly doubtful that these cards will take full advantage of pci express.. I would not be surprised in the least if r423 is barely faster if at all than r420 as long as the clocks stay the same.

As for the original question of what to expect from a 9800pro... I am a proud owner, and I can tell you to expect a huge difference (ported games notwithstanding). Crank those resolutions and filtering settings up and enjoy seeing above 45 fps. Call of Duty, which btw is the first game you should pick up after your card comes in, runs at a slick 60 fps with the goodies maxxed out. You did the right thing by avoiding the 4 pixel pipeline cards (the 9600 series cards) - enjoy the chewy 9800pro goodness.

-SEAL

its funny you mention it. Call Of Duty was one of the major reasons I decided to get the 9800pro.

Basically, I kind of fell out of gaming for a while, until a friend of mine told me about the Call Of Duty competition they were having here in vegas (top prize 15k) and it made me want to start gaming again.

The money just gives me an excuse when relatives and my gf ask why im playing. I can throw in the "some people make thousands playing this game" excuse. :p

Back