Just ordered 290

jealous of your PSU :) I have an AX850 gold - and I'm wondering if that will be enough to push my (eventual) crossfire 290's.

Just ordered an MSI 290 today - will be replacing my 7970's in a staged process. Gaming at 1440p. Mainly I'm excited about being able to use crossfire and having the primary card with two DVD-DL connectors on them to let me run dual monitors when I'm not gaming, and NOT having to manually disable crossfire to get dual setup back.

§·H·ï·Z·N·ï·L·T·ï;1040361451 said:
results in bf4?

In multiplayer, using ultra preset, and 16xAF.and 16xAAeq supersampling from catalyst control center, the game averages 170fps.

The same settings, with 125% scaling, gives me an average of 110fps.

I'm waiting for the post-christmas pricing, and the availability of third party cooling systems for the R9 290.

It's only been a few days since the 780ti launch, and the pricing of various cards seems to be fluid -- AMD may also offer a games package, to match Nvidia's current stance (although I'm not at all interested in those three games ... I might be able to sell the codes via ebay?).

Waiting rather than leaping in with both feet, seems to be prudent with new cards just arriving and the manufacturers luring customers with price cuts/rebates/packages.

Still, I'm jealous of your dual 290's, since you have them -now- :)

I have the Corsair TX 950 and it's been great!! I should have my 290 next week as it's shipped already and got it for $386 which saves some coin and there are aftermarket coolers already for it which one sales for $54 buxs.

I have the Corsair TX 950 and it's been great!! I should have my 290 next week as it's shipped already and got it for $386 which saves some coin and there are aftermarket coolers already for it which one sales for $54 buxs.
which puts you at the cost of an already cool, quiet, less power consuming 780 if you sold the games. plus just pop it in and go. and the 780 is the faster card too when you oc both. heck the 780 SC was $485 for several days and out of the box is faster than the Titan and would have been cheaper after selling the games than buying a 290 and an aftermarket cooler.

I game in Eyefinity so I need the extra vram that the 780GTX doesn't offer at that price.

I game in Eyefinity so I need the extra vram that the 780GTX doesn't offer at that price.
and yeah 6gb will probably cost another 100 bucks on top of the 780 prices anyway if nvidia lets card makers add it.

PCI 2.0 wont make any difference.

Just install it on PCI 3.0 since you have two.

I wouldn't say this is so certain anymore. The new R9 290X CFX interface ditches their local bus connecting the cards. This means that more data is being transferred over the PCIe bus than in previous tests ...but HOW MUCH MORE is being transferred?

I would like to see a new PCIe lane width scaling test on the R9 290x cards in CFX!

Last edited:
which puts you at the cost of an already cool, quiet, less power consuming 780 if you sold the games. plus just pop it in and go. and the 780 is the faster card too when you oc both. heck the 780 SC was $485 for several days and out of the box is faster than the Titan and would have been cheaper after selling the games than buying a 290 and an aftermarket cooler.

I would put a 290 non x with aftermarket cooling or a non reference card for that matter against any 780.Not sure how you can even comment on this yet till you see what a cooler running 290 can do

Just a heads up to anyone looking to buy one.

Looks like Newegg had some more 290 non x's on sale from sapphire and one or two other vendors as of 10am PST this morning.

I would put a 290 non x with aftermarket cooling or a non reference card for that matter against any 780.Not sure how you can even comment on this yet till you see what a cooler running 290 can do

Just ignore..regurgitated unsubstantiated fud. 780 has been out and proven. 290/x still pending: modded bios, drivers, better voltage, from AIB partners.
Potential is definitely there as water cooling is showing http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040361538&postcount=9

lol, ok. even "IF" the 290 with custom cooler is faster than a oced 780, you are talking about a miniscule amount and you damn well know it. and thats still a big if. not to mention the silly ass additional power consumption to get the 290 oced.

so yes I stick with what I said. if you are going to buy a 290 and then spend 50 more bucks to cool it then its silly not to just go ahead and get a 780 right now which will be cheaper after selling the games anyway. until we get non reference 290 cards then thats the options right NOW.

clock for clock a 290 non x is faster then a 780 and this with new drivers.Give it a month or two will see the gap widen mark my words.

Repeating yourself doesn't make it true just spam...Still no evidence on the 290 overclocking.
Give it a couple months and we at least get a bigger sample size then if I'm wrong about 290 not being overclocking beast I'll eat my words. Anyways what is the point of your post?... guy already voted with his wallet? Lol? poor attempt to give him buyer's remorse

clock for clock a 290 non x is faster then a 780 and this with new drivers.Give it a month or two will see the gap widen mark my words.

Pretty much.

Repeating yourself doesn't make it true just spam...Give it a couple months and we at least get a bigger sample size then if I'm wrong about 290 not being overclocking beast I'll eat my words. Anyways what is the point of your post?... guy already voted with his wallet? Lol? poor attempt to give him buyer's remorse

Pretty much.
lol some of you guys are hilarious. first its Nvidia is overpriced and AMD is the better and cheaper route then suggest spending over 50 bucks more just to cool it. so yes I made a comment that the overall cost would favor just getting the 780 an selling the games. and again even if you got the 290 oced enough to match or slightly exceed the oced 780, it would use vastly more power.

The issue right now is demand and can AMD keep up as if they can't then the price will go up to keep demand in check as i have seen it happen with HD58XX cards..

So buying the ref card is not a bad idea at all and saving money over the msrp helps add that cooler and keep cost down.

l and again even if you got the 290 oced enough to match or slightly exceed the oced 780, it would use vastly more power.

Grab the 290, Save $50 now, and let Con Edison rape your bill in little increments month by month

or go with Nvidia Tech, reap the benefits of long-term electricity savings, sell the games, then just tpb it like a BAWS, never look back, and watch how all the pieces come together :D

It's a pretty damn tough choice, that's for sure !

Just as I thought no proof to back up the spam. Now its power concern. Await the next goal post. Gonna guess its gonna be something about noise. When the AIB's come out with some killer overclocking cards mopping the floor with competition...it will be about Physx (never fails) and GSync:p

There's what, about 60w difference between 290 and 780?
I wonder, on average, how many hours of gaming it would take to generate that hundred dollar or in savings from electricity..

Anyways, power is a valid concern... as long as it pertains to the PSU. Obviously 290 uses more power than 780, so it'll need a bigger PSU, especially if overclocking becomes a factor. I think that's about it for the power issue.

Any overclocked 780 GTX will out perform an overclocked R9 290. AMD needs a die shrink to better contain the thermals. It's no coincidence that they would take their card to the limit to extract every ounce of performance. They knew they had to do it to stay relevant and discount the card to compensate the sub-par acoustics.

Once the AIB R9 290s come out, it will be interesting to see whether they can come close to the 780 GTX lightning or EVGA's classified.

Just as I thought no proof to back up the spam. Now its power concern. Await the next goal post. Gonna guess its gonna be something about noise. When the AIB's come out with some killer overclocking cards mopping the floor with competition...it will be about Physx (never fails) and GSync:p
I have mention power consumption many many times when it comes to ocing the 290 and 780 so nothing as changed. :rolleyes:

Agree calculate that 60w..add a bit more to it for overclocking for 8 hours a day x 12 months based on kW per hour in any city USA. Then it all becomes moot ..I question your priorities if electricity/heat is concern buying these video cards.

There's another thread someone measured his system's overclocked with a water block power use http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1790364

A seasonic 660 is enough to handle.

There's what, about 60w difference between 290 and 780?
I wonder, on average, how many hours of gaming it would take to generate that hundred dollar or in savings from electricity..

Anyways, power is a valid concern... as long as it pertains to the PSU. Obviously 290 uses more power than 780, so it'll need a bigger PSU, especially if overclocking becomes a factor. I think that's about it for the power issue.
I said when OVERCLOCKING and for instance in the 290x review, it consumes an additional 225 watts for a 7% performance improvement. and I dont give a rats ass about the miniscule power bill difference, its having to deal with all that heat for the same level of performance you can get when using MUCH less power. again its just something to factor in when looking at the whole picture. its a laughable scenario to go get a 290 only because its cheaper then spend over 50 bucks on a cooler to end up costing more than the 780 after selling the games. oc both and then deal with much higher power consumption is again just another factor. you cant have it both ways by claiming the 290 is being bought to save money and then you end up spending more anyway in the end.

I foresee a MASSIVE electricity spike in your near future.

I said when OVERCLOCKING and for instance in the 290x review, it consumes an additional 225 watts for a 7% performance improvement. and I dont give a rats ass about the miniscule power bill difference, its having to deal with all that heat for the same level of performance you can get when using MUCH less power. again its just something to factor in when looking at the whole picture. its a laughable scenario to go get a 290 only because its cheaper then spend over 50 bucks on a cooler to end up costing more than the 780 after selling the games. oc both and then deal with much higher power consumption is again just another factor. you cant have it both ways by claiming the 290 is being bought to save money and then you end up spending more anyway in the end.

We get it, you don't like the 290 series...

Yeah.... a bit.
I remember in my old high school physics class, we worked out a practice problem to calculate how much it took to light an incandescent light bulb for a day. It came out to be less than $0.25 for 24hr of light. Now, I can assure you that most popular incandescent light bulbs are at higher wattage than 60w (80~120w).

Discounting inflation that may occur, assuming that we game 8hr a day pushing the card... it'll take more than 1200 days for someone to make back that $100. Realistically, it'll probably be closer to 5 or even 6 years (since I can't imagine gaming for 8hr a day regularly).

I'm pretty sure that, before those years are up, people probably would have moved on to newer card.

I have mention power consumption many many times when it comes to ocing the 290 and 780 so nothing as changed. :rolleyes:

We get it you like the 780 go buy 1 :p nothing to see here except your threadcapping in the context of this Op's thread title. You don't own a 290 and claim it will oc less than a 780. The AIB's aren't out yet, voltage and modded bios are incoming.. still too early to make a claim victory ..Head over to OCN and get a larger sample size of what people are reporting begs to differ. For the last 10+ years I've been following this niche market of high end cards AMD/NVIDIA ..enthusiasts will take gaming experience as a priority and the noise/heat/wattage are all minor tradeoffs. Your constant whining will not change anything. Good day.

We get it you like the 780 go buy 1 :p nothing to see here except your threadcapping in the context of this Op's thread title. You don't own a 290 and claim it will oc less than a 780. The AIB's aren't out yet still too early to make a claim victory ..Head over to OCN and get a larger sample size of what people are reporting begs to differ.
my comment has nothing to do with the OP and was in response to another persons comments. so I guess I am not allowed to post anything but 100% positive comments about AMD's cards and not allowed to even reply to others unless its only to support them? lol

my comment has nothing to do with the OP and was in response to another persons comments. so I guess I am not allowed to post anything but 100% positive comments about AMD's cards and not allowed to even reply to others unless its only to support them? lol

You don't own any of the cards you constantly trash/praise. All your comments are only based on what u read (or what you want to believe). We know your blood is green. You constantly preach the oc of the 780 yet have yet to oc one yourself. I own 2 x 7950 and keep them both oc'd in crossfire. Your comments don't add anything constructive to the conversation. You spill the same comments over and over.

780 series have insane oc headroom, nvidia is god and can do no wrong
Even though it more expensive, it's worth it
290 series is trash (heat/noise/oc potential)
Even if it is a lot cheaper, it's not worth it

I think that pretty much covers all your post since the 290 series was released.

As for me, I'm gonna buy this generation of cards. I'm just waiting for a hot deal to come along. I'll be happy with 780/290 if the price is right.

You don't own any of the cards you constantly trash/praise. All your comments are only based on what u read (or what you want to believe). We know your blood is green. You constantly preach the oc of the 780 yet have yet to oc one yourself. I own 2 x 7950 and keep them both oc'd in crossfire. Your comments don't add anything constructive to the conversation. You spill the same comments over and over.

780 series have insane oc headroom, nvidia is god and can do no wrong
Even though it more expensive, it's worth it
290 series is trash (heat/noise/oc potential)
Even if it is a lot cheaper, it's not worth it

I think that pretty much covers all your post since the 290 series was released.
lol more nonsense from people like you. you dont want a discussion about anything. you want to take things out of context and run with it and just make up excuse after excuse because someone could possibly say anything negative about your precious AMD. here is hint for you and all the other people making ignorant assumptions that I dont like AMD. I recommend AMD cards more than Nvidia. I say plenty of bad things about Nvidia cards if they deserve it. I criticized the hell out of 480 and 470 cards but no one acted like you and pretended like the issues did not exist and accused me of being an AMD fanboy. I have also complained about Nvidia reference coolers such as on the 670 and 660ti. those are things people like you dont see because you want to make it an Nvidia vs AMD war only when someone says anything the least bit negative about AMD cards even if reviews back that up too. get off your high horse, pull your head out of your ass and realize we are are talking about specific cards here. nothing more and nothing less.

Last edited:
lol more nonsense from people like you. you dont want a discussion about anything. you want to take things out of context and run with it and just make up excuse after excuse because someone could possibly say anything negative about your precious AMD. here is hint for you and all the other people making ignorant assumptions that I dont like AMD. I recommend AMD cards more than Nvidia. I say plenty of bad things about Nvidia cards if they deserve it. I criticized the hell out of 480 and 470 cards but no one acted like you and pretended like the issues did not exist and accused me of being an AMD fanboy. I have also complained about Nvidia reference coolers such as on the 670 and 660ti. those are things people like you dont see because you want to make it an Nvidia vs AMD war only when someone says anything the least bit negative about AMD cards even if reviews back that up too. get off your high horse, pull your head out of your ass and realize we are are talking about specific cards here. nothing more and nothing less.

No need for name calling. You must lead a lonely life to be talking about video cards all day long. Why don't u go out and get some fresh air?

LOL, you haven't discussed a damn thing about the new AMD cards, you just keep spouting the same bullshit about noise, heat, and power consumption even though people have pointed out that why those are all pretty much non-issues. You literally ignore every poster that has given their experience with the 290/290x that shows the heat/noise of these cards is basically overblown bullshit being spread by Nvidia shills. Fuck, you even ignore the review and posts by the [H] stating the noise/heat issue is basically non-existent.

LOL, you haven't discussed a damn thing about the new AMD cards, you just keep spouting the same bullshit about noise, heat, and power consumption even though people have pointed out that why those are all pretty much non-issues. You literally ignore every poster that has given their experience with the 290/290x that shows the heat/noise of these cards is basically overblown bullshit being spread by Nvidia shills. Fuck, you even ignore the review and posts by the [H] stating the noise/heat issue is basically non-existent.
yes its all lies spread by those Nvidia shills and payed off websites like Anandtech. in person the cards run cool, quiet and never throttle at all on auto fan settings. plus power consumption is much lower than what reviews show. lol is that better now?

Last edited:
No need for name calling. You must lead a lonely life to be talking about video cards all day long. Why don't u go out and get some fresh air?
lol I probably had more fresh air in one day than most people on here get in a month. I am outside all the time for my job and you should be able to figure out my hobby based on my forum name. ;)

Back