just need a few opions

Joined
Apr 6, 2006
Messages
36
well it's that time of the year again upgrade time!!
i'm an amd fan (opty 165-2.7) and i would like to stay with amd but
all they have out is the 65nm chip and it does not show much improvment. so i'm torn between amd and intel. i love my opty but i need more should i wait on amd or
should i go intel? is quad core amd worth waiting for. don't get me wrong but
intel has shown soon impresive benchmarks and overclocks and amd has had
there fair share of good chips. so folks is it worth waiting for (amd)??
 
If your Opty is running 2.7Ghz, there really is no reason to do a complete system overhaul. If you HAVE to upgrade, just get a new video card or something like that. That way you can see if K8L does anything.
 
Like you im a big fan of amd and im going to wait for amd to release k8l later this year. I also have a 3200 venice o/clocked to 2550mhz andits fine for what i use my computer for.
Come july or aug amd should release k8l and im going to upgrade then. Right now i just keep putting more money in the piggy bank so when its released ill have plenty of cash to get the best of everything i want. Even if k8l dosent kill conroe as long as its competive would be fine with me. Its hard to wait 6 more months but i think it will be worth it and by then ill have a bundle of cash saved and ill be able to buy top end parts vs upgrading now id have to budget it and not get exactly what i want.........good luck........
also you are not the only one waiting for the next amd platform...join the club.......
I hate intel so much that waiting probubly pisses them off ...if all amd'ers would wait conroe would not be such a great success........anything to piss off intel makes me happy!!!!!!!!
 
thanks for the replys and opinions. if i go with intel what chip set would be best to go with?
intel or nvidia? i'm an overclocker but not much of a gamer so graphic's are not top on my list.
i want a board that will allow me to upgrade to quad core 6-7 months down the road.
will it be worth the extra money for 1333 fsb support ??
all sugestions welcome
thanks for reading
 
Right now, there isn't much detail out there with 1333mhz FSB chips. It really isn't known if current chipsets will work with them. It is hoped that they will, but knowing Intel, we'll probably see a 985/995 or something like that out there to force us to buy new motherboards.

If I were you, I'd keep what you have now for another 6 months and then reevaluate with the cheaper quad cores. In the 2Q, quad cores will be much more affordable than they are now. If that's the direction you're heading, I'd wait until then seeing as what you have now isn't really hurting you at all. It might be slightly slower than a C2D, but you'd be saving yourself a potential hassle later if quad core is your goal.
 
Back
Top