• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Just made an impulse buy.

bustaplz

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 26, 2007
Messages
130
So I decided to spend most of the money in my checking account on newegg for no real reason.

I ordered:
i7-2600K
GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3
HIS H699F4G4M Radeon HD 6990
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Intel Core i7 Processor i7-2600K

I wanted to buy a Vertex 3 120GB, but it seems to be out of stock everywhere. So when I get all these parts, I'm going to start looking for a Vertex 3 and new storage drives.

Are there any fast mechanical drives around 2TB. Are there faster drives out there in smaller capacities?

Also wondering how my H70 will do with the 2600K, I hope to OC it as far as I can without much overvolting.
 
Be careful with the HIS part. I'd pick another vendor for that card...especially if I were clearing out my bank account.

You only need one i7, though. :)
 
Be careful with the HIS part. I'd pick another vendor for that card...especially if I were clearing out my bank account.

You only need one i7, though. :)

HIS cards have a fairly crappy warranty as I recall. I know my 4870 X2 from HIS did.
 
I was gonna try and run dual cpus on this rig. I have a spare 1155 board that I took the CPU socket off of and I am gonna solder it to the back of the new boards socket. So I'll be like running the CPU's in parallel.

I've owned 2(I think) HIS Radeon cards and had no issue with them, so I feel pretty comfortable with the purchase.
 
uhhhh..... that isn't how the socket works, lol... not to mention, it's not reversible, if mounting backside :p


as for the HIS card, I never liked HIS' warranty. But then again, I only had to wait 5 months for a simple HD4350 to come back from them :rolleyes: At least Sapphire managed 2 months for my HD4350... (small HD4350 fetish, here).
 
uhhhh..... that isn't how the socket works, lol... not to mention, it's not reversible, if mounting backside :p


as for the HIS card, I never liked HIS' warranty. But then again, I only had to wait 5 months for a simple HD4350 to come back from them :rolleyes: At least Sapphire managed 2 months for my HD4350... (small HD4350 fetish, here).

Bro, I'm an Apprentice Electrician. Think I got things worked out on that front.
 
it's more of the ASIC that the traces are linked to :p

nah, at any rate, that build is a decent one, if you are using it as a drop in for your current build :)
 
Okay, thanks for the input guys. I'm still not sure what I want to do about non-SSD storage.Right now I have 4 mechanical HDDs in my main rig but they only total like 1.5TB and I have 9 partitions. I'm about to have to move my Steam path to another drive/partition for the 3rd time. I kind of want to grab a 2TB SAMSUNG F4 and use it for general(non-speed critical) storage. Music, movies, TV shows and stuff.

I thought I could run my current F3 1TB as a secondary drive(stuff I would really prefer to have on the SSD, but can't because of SSD capacity.

The F3 has been very very good to me, and when benchmarking it puts down some really solid numbers. Anyone know what kind of benefit I might see if I picked up another F3 and ran them in a 2TB stripe? If my knowledge of RAID is still decent, doing so would:

a.) Increase seek times and increase throughput on the read side?
b.) Reduce seek times?

Just trying to figure out something that might be a compromise between the obvious benefits of having things load from the SSD with the fact that I can't bring myself to think about the purchase of a 480GB SSD.
 
a). Seek times / latency will be about the same or longer, depending on RAID controller quality. As for the SSD, I fared with a 64GB C300, and ONLY loaded Windows 7 and some core componenets to it. Everything else, including programs, data, etc, were and still are stored on a 2TB WD Green drive, and this setup nets me better performance than my old Vertex 2 240GB :) Not to mention the sheer storage capacity.... now I have a 128GB C300 in place of the 64GB, however :D
 
Thank you for the input guys. I really appreciate it.

Jeremyshaw,

Just looked at your sig. Sounds like we will have a pretty comparable rig when I get done. I guess you run the single U2711. Have you ever run any eyefinity resolutions with your hardware? I'm really excited to see Eyefinity on the new beast.
 
I have run 3x 22" (1280x1024 --> 3840x1024) before, but only as a work/demo machine that I never gamed much on beyond the day I set it up. One U2711 is mostly for Softimage/Photoshop (photo&texturing).

As for gaming, all I really do play (maybe 4 times a month??) is Starcraft 2... total overkill, lol. I am branching out and combining my vc++ knowledge with my 3d ani/model skills :), so call this a "crossfire test rig," lol...
 
Back
Top