Just grabbed Nitro Radeon R9 Fury - wont power up

Grabbed this beast of a GPU about a week ago on sale at newegg.
Finally getting around to installing it today, but ran into a snag.

Does not power up.

I verified it is installed that i had power to it, which it did.
For reference, upgrading from a Geforce 660 TXi GPU.

I started to dig around and wondered if the problem could be any of the three:

1.) PSU not strong enough? Have a seasonic 620W, with (2) 6 pin PCI power adaptors to the card.
2.) Motherboard. Older board here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157330

3.) DOA?
4.) I completely missed something simple.

Any tips on where i should look next?

Appreciate the help.

TCG

Check your PSU and make sure (if it's a modular version) that you are plugging the pcie adaptors in the right ports. Some of the Seasonics require you to plug them into specific ones if you are using more than one adaptor.

Check your PSU and make sure (if it's a modular version) that you are plugging the pcie adaptors in the right ports. Some of the Seasonics require you to plug them into specific ones if you are using more than one adaptor.

Thanks Ruoh. It is modular. I will double check the connections, but pretty sure it was correct.
i will check the connections to and from the PSU. see what happens.

let me ask this:
The PSU has (2) six pin connectos from the PSU to the GPU.
However, the GPU has (2) 8 pin connectors on it.

Could that be a issue?

EDIT:

Just saw this on the AMD site:

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/r9

Says required PSU connectors: 2x8

In my case, it is 2x6.

Looks like i need to upgrade?

Last edited:
kinda wondered that when is saw the pins and it didnt start up.

on a side note, i have not found many PSU's with 2x8pin PCIE power...anyone have a few they recommend?

Most of the time they're listed as 6+2, kinda like how most 24 pins are 20+4

Found the problem.

My PSU does not have 6+2.

It has a 1x6 and a 1x6+2.

Time to find a new PSU now. :)
did the card not come with any molex to 8pin adapters? I know some people don't like using them but ive never had an issue with them. so you could try an adapter or upgrade your psu, 650-700w is all you really need.

did the card not come with any molex to 8pin adapters? I know some people don't like using them but ive never had an issue with them. so you could try an adapter or upgrade your psu, 650-700w is all you really need.

I checked, but didnt see any. I figure with all the great deals around right, great time to grab a PSU.
Just grabbed a EVGA 850W PSU (Johnny Guru recommended one) that should give me plenty of power and room to grow.

Thanks for the feedback and help.

In my experience they typically come with 2x Molex to 1x 6-pin PCI-E, and then a 2x 6-pin PCI-E to 1x 8-pin PCI-E.

ok... that doesn't really matter as he said it didn't come with any adapters and hes decided to purchase a new psu. thanks for correcting me though:rolleyes:

The extra pins are just grounds looped back into the ones already on the 6-pin. 8-pin connector cards work fine with just a 6-pin plugged in. I would guess incompatibility with the motherboard.

yes that is technically true but not all cards will work like that

"Some video cards come with the 8 pin PCI Express power connector to support higher wattage than the 6 pin PCI Express connectors. It's okay to plug a 6 pin PCI Express power cable into an 8 pin PCI Express connector. It's designed to work that way but will be limited to the lower wattage provided by the 6 pin version of the cable. The 6 pin cable only fits into one end of the 8 pin connector so you can't insert it incorrectly but you can sometimes force the 6 pin cable in the wrong way if you try hard enough. Video cards can sense whether you have plugged a 6 pin or 8 pin cable into an 8 pin connector so the video card can impose some kind of restriction when running with only a 6 pin power cable. Some cards will refuse to run with only a 6 pin cable in an 8 pin socket. Others will work with a 6 pin cable at normal speeds but will not allow overclocking. Check the video card documentation to get the rules. But if you don't have any other information then just assume that if your video card has an 8 pin connector then you must plug in an 8 pin cable." from: http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html#pciexpress

they sense the missing grounds and wont work or limit the card.

Yeah.
The difference between 6-pin and 8-pin is the additional 12V conductor.
And it comes down to the PSU as well and that it is only a 6-pin modular PCIe auxiliary spec.

Regarding power draw.
8A is the standard spec and 11A is the HCS spec.
So each conductor is 8*12=96W, meaning the PSU could be rated for 192W with the 6-pin plug (has 2 conductor pins) - context being the Sig standard and short-instantaneous bursts can be much higher.
For standard spec this means 8-pin is 288W.

Edit:
Just to clarify the number 12 applies to the voltage that is a constant or should be with minimum droop (can happen under high loads/limit of spec).
Cheers

(
Thanks Ruoh. It is modular. I will double check the connections, but pretty sure it was correct.
i will check the connections to and from the PSU. see what happens.

let me ask this:
The PSU has (2) six pin connectos from the PSU to the GPU.
However, the GPU has (2) 8 pin connectors on it.

Could that be a issue?

EDIT:

Just saw this on the AMD site:

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/r9

Says required PSU connectors: 2x8

In my case, it is 2x6.

Looks like i need to upgrade?

I just tried this on my system in the last week when I got my second Fury X card. My PC Power and Cooling 850 watt PSU only had (2) eight pin and (2) six pin. I tried various combinations of arrangements and neither of my Fury X cards will not boot with a six pin attached. They need two eight pins attached to boot. I could get one or the other working separately, but not both. So yes that's your issue if you were trying two six pin PCI-E power cords. I also decided to buy a new power supply, since I was on the verge of not having enough power for two Fury X cards anyway. I bought a Corsair RM10000X based on the johnnyguru rating.

The power rating on your PSU was fine at 650 watts for a single Fury card.

I see you already bought a new powersupply - but someone in this predicament might consider buying a pair of molex to eight pin adapters on amazon for $8 bucks shipped to avoid messing with a new powersupply. (so long as their existing power supply is single rail) -- Something like this would do:

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matter...481667249&sr=8-2&keywords=8+pin+pci-e+adapter

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
ok... that doesn't really matter as he said it didn't come with any adapters and hes decided to purchase a new psu. thanks for correcting me though:rolleyes:

I was just providing additional insight. No reason to get snippy.

Hi...i want to know did the card not come with any molex to 8pin adapters?I never had an issue with them. You can try an adapter or upgrade your psu, 650-700w is all you really need.

Molex to 8 pins work just fine. I make my own all the time. As long as you have sufficient guage wire (at leasgt 16g) you will be entirely fine with a 600w PSU, although somewhat on the cusp if you are overclocking.

Back