Just got my Sceptre X24WG-1080P [Review Inside]

Hello all, a few weeks ago I decided to make the small upgrade of going from (2) 226BW's to (2) (well the other will be here soon) 24" Sceptre's. Now I took a gamble here, knowing that there was little or no information besides the Newegg reviews listed. So with the limited budget I had approx $670. I decided to go for it, even tho I'm still waiting on a lil bit of cash to purchase the 2nd display.

Here's a link to the spec's

Price: $369.99

This will be an initial review out of the box. More testing and calibration will follow tonight! :D

DSC02232.jpg

It's here! :cool:

DSC02233.jpg

Came with 1 Audio-In cable for built in speaker, 1 VGA, and 1 DVI-D Cable. Oh and an AC of course.

DSC02234.jpg

Very well packaged, no damage seen.

DSC02236.jpg

The high gloss base with no swivel, not a big deal since this is going to desk mounted.

DSC02237.jpg

Hmm, I couldn't seem to find a manf. date any where.

DSC02238.jpg

Features one DVI and VGA. No HDMI (Not really needed because I use my 37" Olevia for gaming)

DSC02240.jpg

Removable neck for desk mounting, pretty self explanatory.

DSC02241.jpg

:D

DSC02242.jpg

:p

DSC02243.jpg

:cool:

DSC02244.jpg

Color seems decent, I'll calibrate it later tonight

DSC02245.jpg

One single green dead or stuck pixel on the bottom right, it sucks but I'll try to fix it later.

DSC02246.jpg

On a different note, my 226's were both TN panels by their obvious viewing angles. I'm not sure yet but this might be an MVA. Can anyone give me a good method to figure this out? I'll post a more formal review later. Thanks for looking!

I remember when they first announced this monitor it was suppossed to have 16:9 support, 2 HDMI ports, and built-in speakers.

A better way to tell is to look at the screen from below, looking up. If it turns black and the colors invert, then it's TN.

True that....Will you check that out for us. PVA panels well not get crazy from extreme high or low angles. TN panels will turn purplish from the top, almost like a negative, and pretty much just black out from the bottom looking up.

Can you confirm or deny that it is a TN with this simple test?

Specs look great....were you able to get the colors calibrated to your liking?

True that....Will you check that out for us. PVA panels well not get crazy from extreme high or low angles. TN panels will turn purplish from the top, almost like a negative, and pretty much just black out from the bottom looking up.

Can you confirm or deny that it is a TN with this simple test?

Specs look great....were you able to get the colors calibrated to your liking?

I will confirm that it is a TN, BUT It didn't take me very long to calibrate it ^_^ It looks great either way. I'm coming from owning two 226BW's, which were also TN's. I'm not doing movie watching on here, a just a bit of gaming. I'm using these two Sceptre's for CS3

According to factory this monitor BOx is the ONLY 24" that may be send over international email, the lowest cost for people outside USA to buy hardware.

Now that you have your hands on the bos would you mind sharing with us the true dimensions, i ma sure that a lot of people would love to order one of these using USPS EMS service.

According to factory this monitor BOx is the ONLY 24" that may be send over international email, the lowest cost for people outside USA to buy hardware.

Now that you have your hands on the bos would you mind sharing with us the true dimensions, i ma sure that a lot of people would love to order one of these using USPS EMS service.

Yea sure, I'll measure it when I get home at around Noon ^_^

I registered an account at this forum just so I could ask for that magnificent wallpaper, please provide me with the dualscreen version and I will be in your debt! :D

TheSandman2236 said:
I'll post a more formal review later. Thanks for looking!

Hey Sandman, waiting on your review to hit the "Process Order" button. Looking forward to your final verdict.

Hey Sandman, waiting on your review to hit the "Process Order" button. Looking forward to your final verdict.

Yes Sandman, where is this "I'll post a more formal review later." review at?

You have had it for over a month now.
I was just wondering what your impressions/results are after having this for a while now.

i don't think hes doing it anymore.....
but it would still be nice to know, since im looking into one of these....

Yes Sandman, where is this "I'll post a more formal review later." review at?

You have had it for over a month now.
I was just wondering what your impressions/results are after having this for a while now.

i don't think hes doing it anymore.....
but it would still be nice to know, since im looking into one of these....

Hey guys, sorry for the really really late reply. Now that I know some people would like one. I'll post one this weekend. My dsl model fried last night, and I'm posting this at work. What sort of tests or things are you looking for? I'll test those specifically.

I'd like to know what you used to calibrate with and your thoughts on that.
Any red push before/after calibration? Any more dead pixels, etc?

I believe I sent you a PM, but I saw the setup with duals and as soon as I find a mount, I'm doing just what you have done I believe.
I MAY go with the G2400WD if I can find them, but I like the price point of the Secptre.

Does the color wash out in corners? My Dell 24" at work (forget the model # honestly) washes out and its apparently 800+ bucks. Sucks when dealing with fine gradients in reds for print.

I'd like to know what you used to calibrate with and your thoughts on that.
Any red push before/after calibration? Any more dead pixels, etc?

I believe I sent you a PM, but I saw the setup with duals and as soon as I find a mount, I'm doing just what you have done I believe.
I MAY go with the G2400WD if I can find them, but I like the price point of the Secptre.

Does the color wash out in corners? My Dell 24" at work (forget the model # honestly) washes out and its apparently 800+ bucks. Sucks when dealing with fine gradients in reds for print.

I used the Nvida calibration tool and another online tool I found. Both came out around the same.

I'm not sure what 'red push' is, but if you explain it I can prob. test it. And since I bought them there was only one dead pixel on the bottom right hand corner. I tried for about a week to get it out and it didn't work. Though so far nothing 'new' has popped up.

The color is consistent around all corners from what I can see on each display. The gradient banding is my old gripe with it. It's not horrible or bad, but it interferes with some of my design work.

so how happy are you with these LCDs? I am thinking of buying one... I'll use my 226BW (which is GREAT) in vertical view and the sceptre for my main screen for gaming.

did u get anymore dead pixels? any regrets?

dude you have a beautiful setup!

very nice :cool:

so how happy are you with these LCDs? I am thinking of buying one... I'll use my 226BW (which is GREAT) in vertical view and the sceptre for my main screen for gaming.

did u get anymore dead pixels? any regrets?

I'm extremely happy with them especially with the price. No dead pixels showed up since that first one when I first got it. (only 1 out of the 2 monitors) The only regret I have is that I wish I knew how to adjust some of the gradient banding. It's not bad, but as a web designer it screws with my head sometimes. But I knew that getting a TN panel (like my old 226BW was), I had two of those as well.

/jealous

i love that desk mount for the dual screens... is this something that came with your desk, or something you bought separate? nice looking setup man, very simple and clean. love it. :)

Just as small update:

I will no longer be able to do that review. I have sold both Sceptre's to upgrade to my new 3008WFP-HC that's on the way from Dell right now. I can help to answer any questions you guys might have. Remember, the Sceptre was a TN panel so the viewing angles were 'ok'. Everything was perfect about them in my opinion except some of the gradient banding.

Let me know if you guys have any questions.

Did you end up fixing that dead pixel? Did you end up having any bad back light bleed over the time owning them? Also, how stable was the base?

Just as small update:

I will no longer be able to do that review. I have sold both Sceptre's to upgrade to my new 3008WFP-HC that's on the way from Dell right now. I can help to answer any questions you guys might have. Remember, the Sceptre was a TN panel so the viewing angles were 'ok'. Everything was perfect about them in my opinion except some of the gradient banding.

Let me know if you guys have any questions.

how much did you get for them when you sold 'em?

Did you end up fixing that dead pixel? Did you end up having any bad back light bleed over the time owning them? Also, how stable was the base?

-I couldn't fix the one dead pixel
-No backlight bleeding over time, it was pretty good about that.
-The base was very stable, kind of wide.

how much did you get for them when you sold 'em?

$250 for my good one, and $200 for the other that had a scratched screen and one dead pixel.

just an update on this monitor... i have gotten one for myself after seeing it on sale for 259 no tax and free shipping. hooked it up last night and it looks great. no dead pixels, colors look good to me...for the price i paid, i'm extremely happy with it. i have zero complaints.

i knew I should have ordered last night, i just forgot...
289 now... damn.

i knew I should have ordered last night, i just forgot...
289 now... damn.

You can get it from Costco for the same price shipped. Plus any problems with it, just take it to your local Costco warehouse for a no hassle exchange/return.

I too bought this lcd when it was on sale for $269 with free shipping. Been using it for a few days now and have a slight neck pain... start button is WAY down on the left and the close window X is WAY up on the right :D .
I haven't had a chance to get the colors right but they are off no matter what angle you view the screen from. With all TN LCD's you're best bet is to push it away from your face as far as you can to minimize the banding and inverted color effects. I pushed it back and at 28" away the screen looks great!
I hope to get the colors better matched and when I do I'll post my settings right here for others to try.
Having upgraded from an older 19" X2Gen, this thing is wonderful. The 1280x1024 of my 19" was looking too small so for a long time I was using a spare 15" lcd as a 2nd screen with the payware ultramon. With this screen, I don't need the 2nd display and can now hook it up to my "green" machine that will host my IM, www server, ftp server, skype, VOIP system! It's good to be green when it saves you green.
As for movies, I really think a lot of you are just complaining too much. This screen isn't ment to have a good viewing angle but the colors and sharpness are all there! Adjust your video card overlay settings to get things looking right and you'll be golden. I'm only 27 and I remember watching TV on some of the crappiest "big screen" TV's around. This thing is light years more advanced and CHEAPER than the TV's from the past. Why complain for this price?
If you are going to do more artwork and photo work then I'd avoid the TN screens but if you watch movies, TV, game, office, and web then this is the best bang for the buck no matter what size.

Can I hang out at your house?

I was happy to see the Athens Olympics music record that Tiesto did on your wall, I bought the album while I was visiting Greece a few years ago and fell in love with it!

Back