Just got my new rig up and running...now what should I download for everything else?

Chowder Head

Limp Gawd
As in what virus protection, what defrager, what spyware shredder, etc. Bascially any program that I SHOULD download. I'm guessing that includes Lavasoft AdAware, right? Is that still considered the top dog for spam/spyware?

I already got Firefox up and running and was wondering what else to download.

I recall a while ago that the best anti virsus was AVG, best defrager was diskeeper. Are those still considered good or is there something better out there?

Thanks!

I'd just make sure you've got the ultra basics. Adaware is a great program and all, but to be honest if you keep track of your computer it shouldn't be a priority.

You'll want to make sure you've first got your A/V running. I've heard good things about NOD32 and there is always AVG, symantec, etc.

Once you've gotten your A/V installed, head over to windows update and get everything you need downloaded. Once you've done that make sure you've got all the drivers you need for all your components and beyond that, it's just your fluff programs. winamp, gaim, etc.

lol lavasofts adawre. yea it wasnt bad. but it didnt get at registries. so it kept deleting this spyware, leaving the registries, and everytime i rebooted it just downloaded it's self and did what spyware does. piss me off. so i got spyware doctor, which is gettin into all sorts of crap it shouldnt be. does it ever love world of warcraft and Ragnarok.

soo what i say is:

Thunderbird (from mozilla, e-mail program), Windows Defender (anti-spyware), AVG (anti-virus), and steam :D and of course the obvios. update direct X, Crapromedia flash (newest ones 9?) bios (lol) etc etc.

Programs I always install with new PCs:
  • Mozilla Firefox
  • Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE
  • Spybot Search & Destroy
  • AVG Personal Free Edition
  • Windows Defender (Back when it was still called Microsoft Anti-Spyware)

Some of my list:

Spywareblaster
CCleaner
RegCleanr by Jouni Vuorio
Firefox
Launchy (keystroke app launching)
CPU-Z
Core Temp (monitors temps of C2D/Core and AM2 processors)
iTunes
Microsoft SyncToy
Imageshack Quickload (upload to ImageShack using right click menu in exlplorer)
DeadAIM (tabbed IM windows, logging, etc)
DirectX
ATI Catalyst+ other drivers
ATI Tray Tools
ZoneAlarm
uTorrent (for keyboard drivers)
Daemon Tools (for mounting keyboard driver disc images)
WinRAR
Faststone Image Viewer (full screen image viewing+smoothing, database, cropping and basic editing)
Divx + Xvid
Nero 6
Windvd7 Platinum (Well worth the purchase, got mine from amazon, torrented version sucks balls)
Photoshop CS2
Microsoft .NET
Rainlendar (desktop calendar)
Mp3Tag
Nvidia Control Panel/Forceware
Steam
Office 2003 Pro ($5! academic discount FTW, go to college kids)
PDF Creator (print to PDF from Word)
Foxit PDF Reader (loads instantly, unlike Acrobat Reader)

I'll post the rest from home where I can actually look.

nod32 is a must have for gaming pc's most effiecent virus program ever created uses only ~ 20mb of memory

mista ting said:
nod32 is a must have for gaming pc's most effiecent virus program ever created uses only ~ 20mb of memory

Running Kapersky 6 Inet security (firewll and Anti-V) and right now it is using 12.6MB :) ( was down at 4mb until i opened my IE window)

For spyware: Spybot Search and Destroy combined with Adaware seems to catch most stuff

For AV: I use AVG, it works

Web Browser: Personally I like Opera a lot more than Firefox, but either of them is better than IE

Usenet: Xnews is pretty good

Sweet, thanks guys, I just downloaded a bunch of stuff I never knew existed.

Now what would you all recommend for a defragger? Diskeeper or something else?

Thanks again!

trillian
utorrent
alchol for disc images
various codecs
AVG
firefox
media player classic
tweak UI/MS powertoys
nero
rainlendar doesn't like hibernation it seems. I miss it. :(
tag and rename
winamp
mediamonkey (giving it a try)
I dont know about disk keeper. I dont delete stuff outside of formats which happen pretty often so not really applicable.
.net
MS Office
etc

I dont bother with anti-spyware. Im the only user of my computers and thus have never been infected. Avoidance is pretty damn easy if you aren't a fucking idiot.

Back