just got my 2nd 7800gtx

jetjaguar

2[H]4U
is it better to reinstall windows after i install it ?? or is there no need ?

No need.

Generally speaking, it is good to reformat once in a while, but there won't be any point in reinstalling just for that.

I would say no need, but I would reinstall the graphics drives now that you have 2 cards in there, just for the hell of it.

ok so i guess ill just move the jumpers on my board .. and put the sli bridge on and thats it

Where do you live???
I want to come over to stea.... abrate your new SLI rig... um... yeah celebrate :shiftyeyes:

LOL

You have fun with that...

hmmm i installed the 2nd card .. changed the jumpers and installed the bridge .. everything booted up .. i saw the windows xp logo then the screen went black .. i could hear it keep loading windows .. played the windows logon sound .. then i could hear a balloon or alert popup .. i guess about the sli .. but no video .. what am i doing wrong ..
do i need to reinstall windows i guess ?

Bridge chip installed between the two cards?

From what I understand (and have read) you simply enable SLi on your motherboard with either a chip (like MSI) or the jumpers (like DFI), plug in both cards with PCI-E conenctors, put on the bridge chip, then fire up into windows plugged into the first card. Then, you have to go into Windows and enable Multi-GPU mode..dunno why it'd black out tho before you get there.

Perhaps someone with SLi can chime in?

well im gonna reinstall right now .. and see what happens .. maybe ill give bfg a call or something if this doesnt work ..

the jumpers are all on sli mode and the bridge chip is connected and both cards have power

on wut ?? the dfi board ?? 6-23
on the video cards .. no idea on even how to check

the fresh install did it .. its working ..

should i have it show load balancing or is there no point

weird now my temps have jumped big time ..

before with a single 7800gtx @ 490/1340 i idled at 44c and load around 70

now with both cards at stock .. and the side of my case off ..
the card closer to the cpu is idling at 59c and the other one at 50c

wtf

The card the monitor is plugged into will run about 10 degrees hotter than the second card,this is normal. mine idle in the 50 degree range,and go into the high 60's when gaming.

Nice...now how about some pics? :D

Edit: Jetjaguar--->on my top 10 list of best screen names. :D

My 6800GT was....until I got rid of the AGP mobo.

Went from P4 2.8C, Abit IS7, and eVGA 6800GT to AMD 3800+ X2, Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, and eVGA 7800GT. Everything screams.

Nice SLI setup btw jetjaguar.....pics!

jetjaguar said:
the fresh install did it .. its working ..

should i have it show load balancing or is there no point

Same thing happened to me. Booting in safe mode and re-installing the drivers did the trick for me.

sorry guys no pics yet ..

thanks i love my screen name as well lol :)

im kinda upset about my temps ... idling at 60 isnt acceptable

which means im gonna load around 80s ..

i called BFG and they said ... thats perfectly normal .. and u should only worry
if you are loading over 90+ ... then it can damage the card

yea i know .. funny how the temp monitoring in the drivers says 115c is core slowdown threshold ..

but i dunno .. im not liking the raise in temps .. and now my nb is running hotter ..

Bah, my single 7800gtx reaches 90c fairly quickly. I have had no problems other than when I press the screenshot button( F5 for CS and printscreen for BF2) I lose monitor signal.

Sonicks said:
Bah, my single 7800gtx reaches 90c fairly quickly. I have had no problems other than when I press the screenshot button( F5 for CS and printscreen for BF2) I lose monitor signal.

Holy christ, if my $500 card was pulling 90C, I'd be figuring SOMETHING out to remedy that. The only suggestion I have is this cooler from eVGA, which is currently on backorder.

http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=202-F1-EV46-01

if i was swapping otu coolers .. i would definitely go with something better then the evga one .. like the stasiscooling one coming out .. since it will vent the air out of the case and is sli friendly

I could read review sites all day, but I want to know from a real end user-- How much performance are you gaining with the second card. 70-90%?

The real game to test this one would be F.E.A.R. FEAR is the only game I can't play fully maxed out on my single 7800GTX. I have to wonder what would happen with duallies plugging away on that game.

i played some fear earlier ..

the highest res it lets me play at is 1600x1200 .. there is no resolution option for 1920x1200 .. but i played with everything maxxed and had no problems

Dudeyourlame said:
am i the only on this forum that thinks a 6800 GT is plenty of power?

Not anymore. To play at 16*12 on the incoming games, I doubt you will pull in an average above 60FPS which is the magic smoothness number.

is there a way to check out FPS in fear demo ?

i just played it at 1600x1200 with everything set to maximum .. wow it definitely
looks good .. i wish i could play at 1920x1200 though .. maybe the full version will have it

its insane to think that a single 7800gtx can play with everything maxxed .. considering its the best card out right now .. so in 2 months when the full version of fear comes out .. to run ur native resolution on a 2405 dell monitor .. ur gonna need to have sli 7800gtxs .. thats crazy .. i hope the sli 7800gtx can handle most stuff for a while .. but doubtful .. kinda makes me wanna sell off one of my cards

jetjaguar said:

i just played it at 1600x1200 with everything set to maximum .. wow it definitely
looks good .. i wish i could play at 1920x1200 though .. maybe the full version will have it

its insane to think that a single 7800gtx can play with everything maxxed .. considering its the best card out right now .. so in 2 months when the full version of fear comes out .. to run ur native resolution on a 2405 dell monitor .. ur gonna need to have sli 7800gtxs .. thats crazy .. i hope the sli 7800gtx can handle most stuff for a while .. but doubtful .. kinda makes me wanna sell off one of my cards

Man, I was wondering why you were trying for a 1920 x 1200 resolution.....you lucky SOB got me beat by an inch! I have a Sony 23" widescreen LCD, had it for 2.5 years and lovin' it. That's one nice setup you got there. I am gonna have to download this FEAR demo and give it whirl on my old 9700 Pro before the new card comes in tomorrow :D

Manny

jetjaguar said:
weird now my temps have jumped big time ..

before with a single 7800gtx @ 490/1340 i idled at 44c and load around 70

now with both cards at stock .. and the side of my case off ..
the card closer to the cpu is idling at 59c and the other one at 50c

wtf

An 80 mm fan blowing in between the two cards would help a lot in bringing the temps down. My dinky 40cfm fan, lowered the temps of both cards by 7C in idle and 10C at load.
The damn silver heatsinks (BFG) still get very hot though.

gulp35 said:
Where do you live???
I want to come over to stea.... abrate your new SLI rig... um... yeah celebrate :shiftyeyes:

LOL

You have fun with that...

LOL that made me laugh. :D

jetjaguar said:

Use FRAPS http://www.fraps.com/

As a side note, whenever you put two high end GPUs in SLI and you are air cooling, expect GPU#1 to be about 10C higher than before. Even with watercooling I usually see a 2-3C differntial.

Also, FEAR at 1600x1200 4xAA 16xAF can lag a little even on a dual GTX rig.

J-Mag said:
Use FRAPS http://www.fraps.com/

As a side note, whenever you put two high end GPUs in SLI and you are air cooling, expect GPU#1 to be about 10C higher than before. Even with watercooling I usually see a 2-3C differntial.

Also, FEAR at 1600x1200 4xAA 16xAF can lag a little even on a dual GTX rig.

i just ran fear at everything maxxed .. i didnt see any option under video for AA or Af ..

but i got zero lag ..
im really disappointed about not having 1920x1200 as an option as i wanted to see if my sli setup could handle it

Back