Just got into the BF3 Alpha, Downloading now

no luck on my part. I seem to recall you have to buy medal of failure to get into the alpha. I'm sorry EA I'm not buying a shitty game to get into a probably shitty alpha.

Nope, buying Medal of Honor just gives you guaranteed access to the beta.

The alpha invitees are chosen at random. And the gameplay in the alpha is REALLY solid. Stability issues and not all features are implemented, but the game is very playable and a ton of fun.

the NDA in an alpha build to thousands is completely unenforceable. Think about it?? they would have to essentially be tracking your IP and watching your network traffic, in which case they would be breaking the law.

They could very easily embed something in the game's HUD that would identify your key. Having worked in software for years, it's not too hard for them to do something that enables them to identify who the source of the leak is.

Then why, despite getting no email was I able to get a key by going to this link?

I don't know. Same way I got it - I suspect based on your vet status. I'm just repeating what has already been posted on this forum in the actual BF3 thread a thousand and one times already.

I cant wait to check this game out, Im downloading right now before i head out to work. Ill be back in about 5 hours ( 11 Am Central ) Ill post whatever info i can gather. Ill be playing this game on my setup which is, 2600K @ 4800Mhz, 3 6970 cards in Tri-Fire, 8 Gigs of Ram. Ill run the game with 1/2/3 cards just to see what scaling im getting. God i wish i didnt have to work this morning :(

Hey could you please report back with your crossfire scaling with the Alpha build ( Also FPS average if you can :) )?

So its possible for someone who is playing the alpha to post on this forum with some "news" and have it traced from their Hard account to there bf3 account? im just looking for clarification. I see your point about identifying the user in game but not back tracing forum accounts to bf3 accounts.

So its possible for someone who is playing the alpha to post on this forum with some "news" and have it traced from their Hard account to there bf3 account? im just looking for clarification. I see your point about identifying the user in game but not back tracing forum accounts to bf3 accounts.

Read through the NDA: most stuff is off limits. I will frankly err on the side of saying nothing about it unless talking face to face with someone else who signed the NDA. It's the same way I deal with NDAs (plural...I've signed enough for a lifetime) I've signed for work.

Don't think they're joking with the NDA: if they CAN track you they WILL and depending on what you reveal they MAY take legal action.

As for IDing you...well, my EA name is RampantAndroid. My [H] name is...the same.

my questions were only from a curiosity standpoint and i do believe they would TRY to trace you and take legal action, i just think the connection from a random forum account to a BF3 ID would be hard. I personally wouldn't divulge info anyway aside from "i can play at medium with my pc in my sig" if i was to say anything at all.

The main reason for the NDA is likely to prevent actual media from disclosing information, as they have a wide audience and most publishers want to have some control over media access. This would prevent for example a hardware site from running an article on hardware requirements, which would of course draw a lot of interest.

my questions were only from a curiosity standpoint and i do believe they would TRY to trace you and take legal action, i just think the connection from a random forum account to a BF3 ID would be hard. I personally wouldn't divulge info anyway aside from "i can play at medium with my pc in my sig" if i was to say anything at all.

I'm no lawyer, but if someone managed to leak some major information on say, [H], I bet EA's lawyers would try if not prevail at getting IPs to match the poster to an EA account.

SQzwj.png

i blame consoles

Don't think they're joking with the NDA: if they CAN track you they WILL and depending on what you reveal they MAY take legal action.

don't be dumb, they aren't going to fucking legally go after some idiot who broke the NDA, the content will get deleted and they will get banned in the worst case.

I wonder if the NDA is to prevent rival developers (some more than others...) from seeing the product before it's ready to go and possibly stealing ideas.

SQzwj.png

i blame consoles

don't be dumb, they aren't going to fucking legally go after some idiot who broke the NDA, the content will get deleted and they will get banned in the worst case.

If someone were to disassemble parts of the game, discover some yet unrevealed assets and reveal them, you can be damn sure that EA would go after them.

As for how likely that is..it's unlikely, but possible? Sure.

I wonder if the NDA is to prevent rival developers (some more than others...) from seeing the product before it's ready to go and possibly stealing ideas.

That wouldn't really be effective. The invites were basically randomly distributed with no background checks. You not try to run any type of product demo on this scale if you were trying to keep absolute secrecy.

The most likely thing is to prevent major news media sources from actually producing articles regarding the alpha. For instance like I mentioned, almost any hardware review site would be interested to run an article benchmarking without an NDA present, after all this is the most interesting game from a hardware perspective in the foreseeable future.

If someone were to disassemble parts of the game, discover some yet unrevealed assets and reveal them, you can be damn sure that EA would go after them.

As for how likely that is..it's unlikely, but possible? Sure.

Yes if there is any major serious leak that EA feels infringes upon their intellectual property they will take action. But this is huge difference from random forum users posting comments or even screenshots. People have already posted full videos, if they not even going to bother going after those than they will not bother going after random comments on internet forums.

For instance if a staff member of HardOCP happens to be in the alpha and decides to run a technical article on it, expect the lawyers to be involved. Random poster on the forums saying they are getting XX fps with whatever hardware, certainly not.

they kill videos pretty quickly but seem to give no real shit about hand written content on forums and the like, impossible to completely police that.

if you went and posted a giant front page article they would flex nuts and tell you to remove it. only if you refused like an idiot would you ever possibly get into trouble. a cease and desist does not spell certain doom.

Then why, despite getting no email was I able to get a key by going to this link?

WE'RE SORRY - YOU DON'T MEET THE CRITERIA TO ENTER THIS SITE.

Thats funny since I own every BF game including Expansions, and MOH. Why do I get the feeling this signing up shit is just as broken as it was with your veteran status to get the m1 garand.

WE'RE SORRY - YOU DON'T MEET THE CRITERIA TO ENTER THIS SITE.

Thats funny since I own every BF game including Expansions, and MOH. Why do I get the feeling this signing up shit is just as broken as it was with your veteran status to get the m1 garand.

Considering that it's random invites and nothing you sign up for....

Graphics look terrible. Preorder canceled.

EA's going to have to do better than a game that looks like it's from 2004 to get my money.

Really????

Either you havent played it at all,are a COD fanboi,have a shit rig,or dont know how to set options.In alpha form this game looks pretty damn gorgeous..I can definitely see the potential with a full option set with the final game.Looks better than any COD game and pretty much already on par with BC2.

just a heads up to Nvidia users...they have released a new beta 280.19 driver which they recommend for Battlefield 3 alpha testers "to help eliminate any in-game glitches they are experiencing"

Really????

Either you havent played it at all,are a COD fanboi,have a shit rig,or dont know how to set options.In alpha form this game looks pretty damn gorgeous..I can definitely see the potential with a full option set with the final game.Looks better than any COD game and pretty much already on par with BC2.
fx5jpj.jpg

dzi93l.jpg

1z2d08y.jpg

5yayhd.jpg

9i4w1c.jpg

Last edited:
Looks pretty damn good for alpha.

Edit: Heh, tried that link for the 52nd time, and it finally gave me a key. :D

2nd Edit: Epic fail, I'm using my phone's HSPA+ connection to dl origin, and it's going faster than my home connection.

Last edited:
anyone check their cpu utilization while playing? how many threads is the game using?

Must be a real coincidence then, my friend came over, used that link and he too was able to get a key with no email.

You are added to the database of those invited before the email gets sent out. There is a small delay. You will both receive emails if you haven't already.\

It's based on random invites sent out via email. It's not like it rolls the dice every time you try to get in. Trying again and again won't help unless they send out a new wave of invites and you're on the list.

Yeah, I received the e-mail after trying out the site. There is definitely a delay.

So, even if you haven't received an e-mail, try to register, you may already be on the list.

I must say you did a very nice job of picking the worst looking shots you could possibly find from the alpha. Now try that with Bad Company 2 and report back please.

Anyone love how they have no soft shadows?

Also, in an Alpha, the engine had better damn well be locked down and in bugfixing mode.

4 cores at 60-70% and 2 at 20-30% for me. I just guess at the percent from eyeballing the taskmanger. it's actually less the BC2 at the moment

Anyone love how they have no soft shadows?

Also, in an Alpha, the engine had better damn well be locked down and in bugfixing mode.

there's soft shadows, don't worry.

edit: you can literally see that they are filtered in the bottom screenshot... but i do like the mismashed collection of random screenshots in a shitty attempt to instill fear.

Last edited:

Like was already said before; you did an excellent job of cherrypicking shit shots. It's an Alpha. It's going to be buggy. Most betas are still buggy. And they reduce graphics settings for things like this to keep the download size down. Does anyone remember the BC2 beta? It was something like 1.8gb download and everybody was freaking out at the awful effects and textures Turns out they were shit intentionally to keep download size down.

Don't freak out about it yet. They've still got a lot of time.

Back