Just for fun, what was your first PC?

jmroberts70 said:
isn't it amazing just how many of us used these old and expensive first computers for games? Even then gaming was a hard driving force in computer growth! Always has --and my guess is that it always will be...

Lol, that's a good point. Quite funny when you think about it though. They originally started out intended PURELY for business with may be a little usage here and there for education and research. Costing in the range of thousands when not tens of thousands of dollars. And keep in mind, this is BEFORE the current inflation rate (scary when you think about it that they used to cost so much more for the simplest hardware, yet, when you account for inflation, that means they were costing even MORE yet...) Somehow, even in the earliest days of PCs and I suppose maybe even before that back with the giant room sized machines, games just were around and played by someone always. Heck, go far enough and you run into zork type things. I can only imagine how they felt about those ultra-expensive machines being used for games back then. Personally though, when I first started using them, I was only 5 or 6 or so, so I didn't really think about whether they might be used for more than games. As far as I was concerned, that was all they were good for. d-: Lol, so often I did so much damage to people's computers back then, completly screwing up the OS or whatever just trying to get this or that game to run when I didn't really know what I was doing so much. Ironically, by the time I got my own PC, I knew enough of what I was doing to keep damage down to a minimum. I think it bothered them a bit that I didn't go through half of what they did. Of course, now I'm the one fixing all their mistakes, so it evens out in the end I guess. ^_^

My first computer was a Comidore C128. I had a 10M hard drive, 2 floppy drives, and a 2400 baud modem. It was cool. My first PC was an HP Vecta XU/90 Dual P133 w/ 128M RAM, a 2G Seagate Baracuda, and NT 4. I still miss the C128, and know exactly where the Vectra is...
Nick

The first computer I taught my Dad how to use (ie he bought it) was built into a desk and had twin 8" floppy drives. I can't remember what it was called, but it ran CPM, and he bought it specifically to run Wordstar.

My first computer was a TI99/4a

My first computer was a Commodore 64C
i remember i thought Captain Blood was the greatest game in the world cuz it let you construct some really wierd commands like: "ME BLOOD ME WANT SEX"
you were supposed scouring the galaxy looking for your runaway clones but i was looking for the hot alien chicks. :D

My first was a Tandy 386, I wanna say 200Mb HD, 3.5 & 5.25" floppies. I don't remember the RAM or the Video or sound. I should break it out and boot it up for kicks. lol

Any other Tandy's in the house? Can I get a woop woop?!

Hmm, well the first PC I personally owned, was the first one I built, a K6-2 450 I believe, but I cut my teeth on one of those Packard Bell's with the Turbo button and a 486 proccessor. The one with that Packard Bell OS with the giant icons that was pretty worthless.

My parents followed that one up with another Packard Bell, a Pentium 133, again with that awesome Packard Bell pseudo-OS that was like a 3D house you clicked around in, and the software was sitting on shelfs, and you would click on what you wanted to use. It also had a 3D stereo which you could use to change the sound settings and such. Anyone remember what that was called? I remember them getting it when Windows 95 had just hit the shelves.

Compaq 8086 portable pc. It was like a suitcase with an amber screen built into it. It had 640k of RAM and a 10mb hard drive. And of course a 5.25" floppy. This was a hand-me-down from dad that I had in my bedroom. I had a 9-pin Okidata printer too.

The first compurer we had in our house was a commodore VIC-20. The first computer I actually bought myself was an Amiga 500. I remember having to save up again after I bought it so I could buy the 512k memory expansion and a second floppy drive. I still rmemeber getting a 2400 baud modem from my brother so I could call local BBSs.

My first computer was an Apple IIC.

My first PC was a Packard Bell Legend 316. 386 of some kind, think it was 16MHz. 1MB RAM (upgraded), 40MB hard drive... and a 300bps modem. lol

Hell I can't remember the rest.

First one was a:

Intel 1.6A
Acorp Motherboard
256MB PC133 SDRAM
60GB IBM Deskstar
Acer CD-Rom
GeForce 2 MX400 Gainward
Sound Blaster Live Value OEM
Windows 98SE

My first computer was an Amiga 3000 with an 030@25mhz, 6 megs of Ram, and a 120meg hard drive. Also got a 14" Commodore Multiscan Monitor. Paid $2500 for it back in Oct of 92.
The following year I upgraded the machine with a Video Toaster 4000 card, upped the ram to 20megs, and added a 345meg hard drive. The upgrade cost me $3000. ($2300 of that was the Toaster Card).

I don't remember the exact specs of the comp as it was a while ago, but it was a laptop that was at 33mhz with 8mb of ram, floppy drive, a really small screen (not sure of the size) and windows 3.1

My first computer was a DIY Motorola 6502 @500 Khz with 16K of ram, hex keypad, 40 characters LED display, a 40 character thermal sale register printer, and a 5-slot S-100 rack.. Total cost - $1500.

hmmm my original system was a Packard Bell featuring:

80486DX2-66 MHz Intel Microprocessor
420MB Hard Disk Drive
8MB of RAM
1MB Video Memory
Fax/Modem installed (9,600/2,400 bps)
2 button mouse included
Windows 3.11

This system still runs today

nam-ng said:
My first computer was a DIY Motorola 6502 @500 Khz with 16K of ram, hex keypad, 40 characters LED display, a 40 character thermal sale register printer, and a 5-slot S-100 rack.. Total cost - $1500.
Does that even count? Geez, my calculator would beat the living daylights out of such a thing.

Cyrix 486 DLC-40mhz + math co-processor(thats right, dual cpu :D)
Turbo button!
4megs of ram
250meg hard drive
512k ati vga wonder XL, later upgraded to 1meg.

My first computer was an Atari 1200XL. I sold my Atari 2600 & all its games and worked all summer to afford one. It was mostly used for games (Ultima 1, 2, 3, & 4 baby!), BBS's, and the text based Compuserve. It lasted me until college when I bought a 486/25....I have no idea what happened to my Atari 1200XL. Lost somewhere in the sands of time. :(

compaq presario 5202
Windows 98
WD 4 gb hdd
343 mhz processor genuine intel I think
96 mb pc100 ram
compaq monitor 15in. + mouse + keyboard
generic speakers

came with a inkjet printer that junked out after 4 years use.

I still run the machine but i've upgraded it alot

put a WD 20 gb hdd, 17 in. CRT princeton flat screen, 326+ pc100 ram, nvidia geforce 4 mx 440 64 mb ddr pci vid card, optical mouse, and that's about it. I built a new machine that I'm on right now that's basicly 100% performance jump from that compaq

Nazo said:
Does that even count? Geez, my calculator would beat the living daylights out of such a thing.
Of course it counts, neither Apple, Atari, nor IBM were around, store bought personal computer didn't exist at the time.

My first one outta my own pocket was a Commodore 64, around 1988. I got a printer, TWO disc drives, and about 200 games. Had "Geos" word processing program too.
I ended up throwing it all in the trash about 2 years ago, cause I couldnt even get $10 for it all in a yard sale. It still worked too.

Number 2 (around 1998), was a Packard Bell.......pentium 133, 550mb hdd (added a 2 gig hdd as slave), 14.4 modem + sound card combo, 4x cd-rom, 2 mb onboard video. think I had 64mb of memory.

My first computer that I owned myself was a 486DX2 @ 66Mhz with 32 Megs of ram. My dad gave it to me when he got a new blazing fast celeron 533. The first computer I ever bought with my own money was a 286 8Mhz that I got at a garage sale for 10$, Complete with monochrome orange and black monitor.

Epson 286 @ 12.5 Mhz, with like 512k of RAM and a 20 meg Harddrive. It ran E-menu and let me play one of those little helicopter shooting games, so I was set :D

And then he had a computer....and the tinkering began....

This was my introduction to the addiction that is computer hardware.

Compaq Presario 2200
--------------------------------------------------------

- CPU: Cyrix MediaGX GXI-180BP (180MHz - 60MHz FSB - 16KB L1 cache)
- Motherboard: Cyrix CX5510 Rev2 Chipset
- RAM: 64MB EDO @ 66MHz
- Video: 2MB onboard SVGA
- Sound: 16-bit onboard sound
- Storage: 1.7GB Seagate Medalist HD (Fast ATA-2, 4500RPM, ST31721A)
- Drives: 16x CD-ROM; NEC 3.5" Floppy
- Power: 51-watt PSU

-----------------------------------------------------------

OWNS YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!

lol jk.

Dojo, were you joking about the "51watt PSU"? I don't even see how a processor can run off of 51watts........... much less a floopy drive, ram, hard drive, and optical drive

He's probably not. Those old processors barely required a heatsink, so they can't have been using much power.

commadore 64 with the big floppy drive that took 10min and ran off of rca cables on a 12" monitor, best games though.

icthus13 said:
He's probably not. Those old processors barely required a heatsink, so they can't have been using much power.

Im not, and exactly.. that Cyrix processor had a little dinky heatsink on it that would barely rival a Northbridge cooler on today's mobo's. They're not exactly power hogs.

And unless I can't read, it says on the side of the PSU: "Max Output: 51-watts"

Also the PSU itself is about the size of a can of Coke.

lord_emperor said:
First computer I had was a Commodore 64, not really a PC though is it?
Yes! My first was also a C64! All the guts were in the keyboard and it had an external 5.25" floppy drive (no hard disk). Now that's old school. My next one was a 486DX33.

486DX @ 120MHz
32MB RAM
345MB HD
1MB SVGA
Sound Blaster
15" Packard Bell monitor...

That thing was great.....

Some Texas Instruments thing back around 82.

It wasnt a PC in the sense that we think of now though. My first real PC was the first Mac. The Mac with 128k of memory. I still have it and to my knowledge, it still works.

Good Ole Packard Bell
100mhz Pentium
16 mb RAM
700 mb HD
14.4 Modem
1mb Video Memor
Win 95

Duke Nukem was the shiz-at on that puppy... I even got it to work over dial-up with my friend hosting b/c he had the "fast" 28.8 modem! :p

Good Ole Packard Bell
100mhz Pentium
16 mb RAM
700 mb HD
14.4 Modem
1mb Video Memor
Win 95

Sounds like my first! If I remember right.

i dont remember the specs, my cousin was the one who built it for me, but i did finish Duke Nukem 3D on that comp :D.

Well my first PC was a family PC that I eventually took over.

It was a Pentium 60, 8MB of RAM, 610MB HDD, 2MB video card, SB16 card, 2X CD-ROM, bought in the winter of 94 IIRC. :D

My first PC I built myself was a Pentium 200 @ 225MHz (75MHz Bus x 3!!!), 96MB of RAM, Maxtor 2MB 2D card with a Voodoo1!! Oh man!! And it was built in like 1999 because I had no money and got everything super super cheap, like all of the above I probably got for less than 250 bucks combined and it was worlds faster than the Pentium 60.

Then I started a hardware website and soon I had a TON of parts to play with. So I have had really top-end computers since then.

Next machine was a Celeron 300A @ 550MHz, MSI 6309 motherboard, 256-512MB of RAM (forget..) S3 Savage4 video card (upgraded to a Savage2000, then GeForce) which really got me into OC'ing.

After that, Duron 600 @ 1000, GeForce2 GTS (later GF3), a lot of RAM, etc. They just kept getting better :D

Rizen said:
Then I started a hardware website and soon I had a TON of parts to play with. So I have had really top-end computers since then.

So, how does one start such a website? ^_^

486 with 4 megs of ram(i upgraded to 12 within a couple months to play my tie fighter). a speedy 1x cdrom and of course, both disk drives. i couldn't even begin to guess what kinda video card it was. i should take a picture of it next time i'm at my dad's house. he's still got the thing setup.

Back