Just flashed my GT...

heyheyhey

Gawd
I just flashed my GT to Ultra, and it'll now do 420/1200 (used to be 410/1180), and gave me an extra 100 points in 3DMark03, along with tighter RAM timings. No huge increase of any kind, just kind of a cool thing to do. I would definatly not do this if you aren't comfortable with it, because it is kind of easy to screw up or get confused. Thanks to this guide : http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=314079 for instructions and the BIOS.

*I am not responsible for any damage caused to your computer by flashing a card's BIOS.

Might be a good idea to read the rest of the thread before trying it...

"Several guyz already tried this flash, and let me say they're in posession of $400+ paperweights now."

and..

"i wouldn't flash unless your using a 3rd party cooler. the voltage from 1.3 to 1.4 is going to overwhelm the stock GT heatsink/fan."

So definately a risky thing to do. Flashing my old 5900nu to 5950u made a nice difference in fixing the throtteling problem, but so far my 6800GT is fine at 420/1100.

interesting....however how does the GT react to not having the second molex for extra juice?
I know for me wouldnt be a big deal since I plan on useing Danger Dens 6800 block.

Well looks like the NV camp has something to go against the pro to XT mod now...sad thing is both are still not guaranteed.

Micas said:
Might be a good idea to read the rest of the thread before trying it...

"Several guyz already tried this flash, and let me say they're in posession of $400+ paperweights now."

and..

"i wouldn't flash unless your using a 3rd party cooler. the voltage from 1.3 to 1.4 is going to overwhelm the stock GT heatsink/fan."

So definately a risky thing to do. Flashing my old 5900nu to 5950u made a nice difference in fixing the throtteling problem, but so far my 6800GT is fine at 420/1100.

The temperature only went up 1*C, and they said the ones with paperweights used the wrong flasher, couldn't clock that high, etc. etc. Basically user error.

a 100 point increase in 3DM2K3 but yet you risk the chance of borking your card?

no thanks.... I'll pass on this one. :)

WOW talk about [H]ard. Not even a month old! You my dear fellow got Kahonaas :D
I was thinking about doing it, but the fact that the hardware is different I chickened out.
Forgive me. :(

This is one of those things I *might* try if I still have my GT near the end of it's lifespan. Doing this right before D3 comes out takes titanium balls. :eek:

I would much prefer modding bios myself.. which I did. You can get vgpu to 1.4 oir 1.5 that way too :) And set hard overclock. Only thing I might be interested in ultra bios might be if it has diff memory management... till someone can confirm on that... no go for me :p (Already flashed mine with modded GT 445/1150 1.5v :p)

Sweet... gonna try it this weekend.

I've successfully flashed cards before that *other* people had trouble with. To put it politely, some people are unskilled or unlucky.

I'd mod a BIOS

If I knew hex
If I knew what I was doing
and
If I knew hex

But for now, the Ultra is doing fine :)

If someone would provide me with a modded BIOS, it would be a different story though :)

By the way - Yeah, I was biting my nails when it was flashing. If it wouldn't have worked, I would've killed someone :p

heyheyhey said:
I'd mod a BIOS

If I knew hex
If I knew what I was doing
and
If I knew hex

But for now, the Ultra is doing fine :)

If someone would provide me with a modded BIOS, it would be a different story though :)

I could. send me your original bios with what you want for votlage and clock speed :p

so what kind of heat increase did you see from 1.4 to 1.5? did you manage a higher overclock? (i know you say 445/1150 but what'd you manage at 1.3 and 1.4?)

also, what kind of cooling are you using?

seems the 6800's are way to heat sensitive for that kind of tomfoolery for so little gain.

perf/risk ratio not favorable.

but a big ten 4 on the cojones.....

DigitalEmperor said:
so what kind of heat increase did you see from 1.4 to 1.5?
Power should increase by 1.5^2/1.4^2 = 1.148x or 14.8% (at the same clock speed). Power also increases linearlly with frequency: i.e. 350MHz -> 400MHz = a 1.14x (14%) increase in clock speed and power usage. Multiply the 2 values together to get the total power increase... e.g. 350MHz to 400MHz, 1.4v to 1.5v: 1.148 x 1.14 = 1.30 (30% power increase). That shouldn't be much of a problem unless you're overclocking it a lot more than that.

Heat is a different matter since it depends on the ambient termperature and cooling.

It doesn't really seem like a good idea to run a GT with stock cooling at 1.5v and 420MHz+ GPU speed, but it seems to work for heyheyhey.

Ya I had to try and flash mine too.
Tried to flash it back, because I was getting a higher overclock when she was a GT.
All I got for my efforts was a blank screen.
(Yes I backed up the bios)
I had to flash it back to the ultra.
Word to the wise, it truely isn't worth it.
I can now say my card is an ultra..

Don_1 said:
Ya I had to try and flash mine too.
Tried to flash it back, because I was getting a higher overclock when she was a GT.
All I got for my efforts was a blank screen.
(Yes I backed up the bios)
I had to flash it back to the ultra.
Word to the wise, it truely isn't worth it.
I can now say my card is an ultra..
you forgot to change your sig :p

if i could afford it i wouldnt try it same reason my my dvd burner hasnt been flashed since i cant afford a new one i will wait till i have the money to throw away if it fails

Lunas said:
you forgot to change your sig :p

if i could afford it i wouldnt try it same reason my my dvd burner hasnt been flashed since i cant afford a new one i will wait till i have the money to throw away if it fails

Thanks for pointing that out :p

DigitalEmperor said:
so what kind of heat increase did you see from 1.4 to 1.5? did you manage a higher overclock? (i know you say 445/1150 but what'd you manage at 1.3 and 1.4?)

also, what kind of cooling are you using?

1.5v setting :) Default was 1.4v. In fact, all bios defaulted there from what I gather... (or maybe it is 1.4v that I set... dunno where to check it). Cooled with Exos so heat is the least of what I am worried about. Memory has copper vantec HS with thermal tape removed, lapped again, applied with AS3+Arctic Silver Epoxy. Core has Cermaique... Would have used Shin etsu except... I can't seem to find it in my boxes of many things :p
Recap. +0.1v vs what it was.
So things I changed in bios essentially are, GPU vcore (+0.1v), CPU Clock 440 (decided to notch down a little for 100% safety :p) Memory clock 1.1ghz (again 50mhz less for 100% reliability). All my OC's are 24x7 setup or I don't even bother benching :)

i tried flashing my BFG to a modded PNY BIOS and i got a blank screen, so i did a blind flash back to my original BIOS and everything is working fine.

by the way, i've measured my default voltage and it's 1.3v.

Hmmm... time to get my lazy butt off and measure the voltage :p brb.

Just did... 1.43v. So my guess is that stock was 1.33 which makes sense.
Will have to look to see if it is possible to do 1.53 with bios... doubt it though.

I guess I could do hard mod it later since I have plenty of room for temps but there is not a game that really needs a bump I play yet :p

Felix, I could do bios mod so u get 1.4v if u wish... just shoot me your original bios file :p

Also, a thought entered my mind. 6800gt and ultra are exact same core. The only thing they did was to cripple 6800gt with 0.1v less vcore. Which makes GT even better in view of OC"ing with aftermarket cooling. Now, it seems to me that there are 2.0ns ultra around market. (same as GT) I am thinking that they did something on board to possibly give better vmem than GT to cripple memory OC'ing as well. Do anyone know points to find vmem and maybe have Ultra sitting handy to figure out?

jinu117 said:
1.5v setting :) Default was 1.4v. In fact, all bios defaulted there from what I gather... (or maybe it is 1.4v that I set... dunno where to check it). Cooled with Exos so heat is the least of what I am worried about. Memory has copper vantec HS with thermal tape removed, lapped again, applied with AS3+Arctic Silver Epoxy. Core has Cermaique... Would have used Shin etsu except... I can't seem to find it in my boxes of many things :p
Recap. +0.1v vs what it was.
So things I changed in bios essentially are, GPU vcore (+0.1v), CPU Clock 440 (decided to notch down a little for 100% safety :p) Memory clock 1.1ghz (again 50mhz less for 100% reliability). All my OC's are 24x7 setup or I don't even bother benching :)

It'll be intresting to see some benchmarks of 400/1100 vs. 440/1100

there is a modded Ultra BIOS that provides 1.5v. i believe Shamino from VR-zone.com posted it in their forums.

DigitalEmperor said:
It'll be intresting to see some benchmarks of 400/1100 vs. 440/1100

About another 1000 points on 3dmark 2003. Think I got 13136. (this is with anti-virus, etc and all kind of junk on :p) Stock was 11111 or close to it. Ultra was in 12k range. It seems to go up decently well with clock speed. I would think I can flash with Ultra bios and mod it for 1.53v or do pencil mod but... when you can run just about all games maxed with avg of 50+ fps... why bother :p Will have to see how demanding Doom 3 or EQ2, etc is :) As usual, I am willing to do 20% more voltage on core/memory rule for my GPU (I've done way more than that when I was doing pelts... those days are long gone :p)
Oh BTW, tried the Ultra bios, seems to default to 1.43 volts so modded one should do 1.53v or so. I really didn't like the vendor ID check bypass on flash but I did have have PCI GPU ready (no worries :p) I did get 0 more OC'ing under same volts as my GT modded bios so it is moot point until I try higher volt.

felix88 said:
there is a modded Ultra BIOS that provides 1.5v. i believe Shamino from VR-zone.com posted it in their forums.

Doh!

I had that BIOS when I flashed the card, but for some reason, I out the Leadtek one on the disk. Wow am I stupid. Going to flash to the 1.5v BIOS now :)

Just flashed it to the 1.5v one... it'll do 455 now, so I'm *really* hoping for 440 stable, only problem, its a GT BIOS, so I lost the RAM timings (not that noticeable anyway) and now its idleing on 45*C, not that I'm complaining :p

Hmm... everything is going REALLY slow. 3DMark is really choppy, and applications are REALLY slow opening. I'm thinking Windows doesn't like me "changing cards" underneath of it. I REALLY don't want to format (FarCry and UT2K4 being the main reasons.), but I will if I have to. Any ideas?

I let it sit for a few minutes, came back, and everything was fine. I swear this thing has a mind of its own. Still won't do 440 stable though :(

Can only get 425 stable :(

It is a 20 MHz over the OC I got when it was stock though :)

heyheyhey said:
Hmm... everything is going REALLY slow. 3DMark is really choppy, and applications are REALLY slow opening. I'm thinking Windows doesn't like me "changing cards" underneath of it. I REALLY don't want to format (FarCry and UT2K4 being the main reasons.), but I will if I have to. Any ideas?

I let it sit for a few minutes, came back, and everything was fine. I swear this thing has a mind of its own. Still won't do 440 stable though :(

Can only get 425 stable :(

It is a 20 MHz over the OC I got when it was stock though :)

Either thermally challenged or power. My guess is thermal.

Its idle'ing on 45 though, that's the strange part. Could be power, as its only getting 250W.

Would if I could, but as it turns out, the GT is missing some surface hardware that would be needed for a second connector.

Falls Included said:
awe come on... be real [H]ard and solder on another power connection.

There are few surface components other than power connector unfortunately. Involved cost might not be worth bothering in few months as both card price drops... :p

Thank the video card gods!!
I was able to flash my card back to a normal GT.
I started getting artifacts @ stock ultra speeds.

Don_1 said:
Thank the video card gods!!
I was able to flash my card back to a normal GT.
I started getting artifacts @ stock ultra speeds.

its statements like the one ^ above ^ that should deter everyone from even attempting this act.

after all, why in the hell would anyone wanna risk ruining a $400+ video card for just a few more MHz here and there.

not me.

Falls Included said:
awe come on... be real [H]ard and solder on another power connection.
The 6800GT is missing alot of components to be able to solder another power connector to it..

ozziegn said:
its statements like the one ^ above ^ that should deter everyone from even attempting this act.

after all, why in the hell would anyone wanna risk ruining a $400+ video card for just a few more MHz here and there.

not me.

Yep, let that be a warning that it's not worth it.
I would have been shit out of luck had I not been able to flash it back.
It's harder to flash it back, than it is to flash it the first time.

Back