just figured something...

jeremyshaw

[H]F Junkie
For those who made jokes about AMD GPU length :p Anyhow, the cooler actualy makes the GPU longer by well... funny story, the exact amount the HD6950 2GB reference is longer, lol. PCBs are the same length. :eek:

Quick rundown: HD6950 2GB and GTX570 1.28GB are same in SC2 @ 2560x1440 Extreme Settings (technically Ultra for Multiplayer - extreme only affects campain - which I don't play...) GTX460, HD5770, HD6870 couldn't keep up... no AA. i7 2600k @ 3.4GHz - maybe not the best test metric, lol. I wish I had my P67 board, still :(

Interesting. I remember I didn't buy a pair of GTX6970's because sites reported the cards being one inch longer than the GTX570/GTX580, which barely fit in my case. I had to get a pair of GTX580's because of this and ended up spending $350 more for a negligible difference... I am actually annoyed since SLI GTX580 isn't my first choice, I just wanted something to hold me until the 28nm chips roll out, and I would have prefered to get CF 6970.

I just realized, the GTX580 and GTX570 share the same PCB (difference SMT componenet choice, however), and so do the HD6950/HD6970 :eek:

yeah, I thought the HD6950 would be a full in longer than the GTX570, lol.... It's definately heavier, though.

I just realized, the GTX580 and GTX570 share the same PCB (difference SMT componenet choice, however), and so do the HD6950/HD6970 :eek:

yeah, I thought the HD6950 would be a full in longer than the GTX570, lol.... It's definately heavier, though.

Ohh well... I am not "unhappy" with my SLI GTX580 setup, but I could have had the same performance for less money, but whatever, its all cool.

I never understood why people who want High End GPU's complain about size. Why spend $300+ on a GPU and then buy a $50 mid tower case that can't fit it :confused:

I think it was more the HD 6990 vs GTX 590 where people complained about size difference though. For the GTX 570 you could get the HD version from EVGA which is like what, 9.5"?

I love the Antec 300 mid case with a single giant vid card!....its fits fine...and with the 300's front fans and a squirrel cage slot fan below the card it has no prob staying cool.

jeremyshaw, how many GPUs/setups do you have?
well.... uh..... this is [H], right? :p
Some people want to have a transportable rig for LANs or perhaps they just want a small ITX or MATX case.

yep :) I had to dremel out the inner cage of my SG06 to fit the GTX580, and I decided to check how much would be required to fit the obstinately larger HD6950.... to my suprise, not much :eek:

Back