Just Cause 4

Well at least it is confirmed - now we'll have to see more information at E3, hopefully!

Oh and you're in for a fun time with JC3 XL. THe game and its DLC give a great amount of open world chaos-causing fun. THere are even mods out there that do everything from changing the grapple's parameters to even multiplayer! Enjoy!

I loved JC3 despite the hate it received. Overall it was better than 2, with one exception. The "zones" to clear. Kind of like all other games these days, it sucks. In JC2 the destruction counted across the map to progress the story. Let us do that again so we can screw around and destroy as we want rather than searching for that 17th speaker in a dense city. Oh and give us a quick save system.

Outside of that, I preferred JC3. Vehicles and other things were easier to get and air drops were more forgiving. Much easier to just pick a tool and have fun screwing around rather than be penalized for it.

Last edited:
Finally the game has some better graphics going on I'm not sure what keeps this franchise going if you had to ask.

The problem I have with Just Cause 3 is, Mad Max was infinitely better, yet they put all their funds into JC3, and it was crap compared to Mad Max.

Just Cause 2 was so much dumb fun, but I never got hooked on 3. Hopefully 4 will be good, but I hate the tornado they keep showing- it's without the storm line that would cause it (unless that ends up being a plot point like weather control).

Yeah I probably won't pick this up I never picked up any of the series.

3 was great. It wasn't the best game in history, but it was one of the few open world games that didn't punish the player due to horrible game design. The gameplay to nonsense ratio was very good as well. This looks like more of the same. Don't expect an intelligent story, its an action game. But it does the action part very well.

I am curious to see how it stacks up to JC3 - I was just about to play 3 as I picked it up in a Humble Monthly months ago, but it has been on my backlog. If JC4 is notably better maybe I'll skip 3, but I remember having a great time with JC1 and 2, albiet getting a little repetitive. One thing I hope that 3 and especially 4 fix are the "enemies are psychic and know exactly where you are the minute the alarm sounds". I can really hope a more realistic search/engage/give-up/stealth setup is part of 4. Likewise, I hope they've found ways to make the gameplay fun and rewarding without getting tedious. I'm actually surprised they aren't making a multiplayer option this time; its kind of a pity considering that JC2 and JC3 both added hugely enjoyable user mods for multiplayer ; it would be nice if JC4 at least builds the game to be friendly to modding, especially that kind of modding - allowing multiple playable characters for instance fully rendered for play the same as Rico could mean mods could easily allow players to select various characters, for instance instead of having tons of Ricos running around.

Something is wonky with the graphics in this game. I mean - It runs good, but I recall JC3 looking better. It's like the game is doing on the fly resolution changing to meet a frame rate target - But there is no option to adjust that type of thing in settings. More importantly is that there doesn't seem to be much difference visually between low and very high which leads me to believe something is broken right now and the game is perma rendering everything with low settings.

Something is wonky with the graphics in this game. I mean - It runs good, but I recall JC3 looking better. It's like the game is doing on the fly resolution changing to meet a frame rate target - But there is no option to adjust that type of thing in settings. More importantly is that there doesn't seem to be much difference visually between low and very high which leads me to believe something is broken right now and the game is perma rendering everything with low settings.

There is speculation the day 1 patch will not be released until tomorrow, whether or not there is a patch who knows. I still have JC3 installed and can do a comparo when I get home.

There is speculation the day 1 patch will not be released until tomorrow, whether or not there is a patch who knows. I still have JC3 installed and can do a comparo when I get home.
Well Mad Max looks absolutely better and I vividly recall JC3 looking better. Something is FUBAR with LOD right now. The setting does nothing currently.

Well Mad Max looks absolutely better and I vividly recall JC3 looking better. Something is FUBAR with LOD right now. The setting does nothing currently.

JC3 had tweaks to the engine that Mad Max didn't have, but it wasn't glaringly obvious in the output. There wasn't much pop in like I'm seeing in JC4.

I love just cause series, but don't care to spend $60 on something I will only play for 40 hours. I'll get this when there is a decent discount

I love just cause series, but don't care to spend $60 on something I will only play for 40 hours. I'll get this when there is a decent discount

I agree, minimum I generally want out of a game is $1/hour of entertainment. I played JC2 for 40 hours and JC3 for 30 hours, so I should probably wait until this is $20-$30. I like the games a lot, for some reason once they start feeling repetitive, I always put them down and don't come back to them. I've tried launching JC3 probably 10 times in the last 2 years, trying to revisit it but just can't get back into it, I probably could if I started over, but I would just end up in the same situation 30 hours later.

Had a blast with 2, only just picked up 3 this year but haven't gotten a chance to dive in yet. Looking forward to seeing impressions of this one.

Why the fuck is the menu fucked up, mouse selections are inverted and I can't back out of a menu?? lol.

Why the fuck is the menu fucked up, mouse selections are inverted and I can't back out of a menu?? lol.
Right click to go back in the menus. Man I didn't realize that for some minutes, very long minutes, damn frustrating. But I accidentally found out right click does the trick so far.

Ok edit to come back again with what's up with right click to go back in a menu system? Is that a common design practice does anyone know? Where they on something? Don't want to jump to conclusions, maybe it's quicker than hitting a back selection. If they'd freaking even put in a back selection in all their menus to begin with. Yeah some of the menus have a back selection but I'm wondering how many do. Haven't been through all the menus yet.

Not yet damning the whole game for the right click thing which still works btw. The graphics are pretty nice beyond a meter or two. If they could patch it in some way to sharpen up objects a little closer. Doesn't have to be sharp to up close like Crysis 3 but closer than it is now.

Last edited:
Right click to go back in the menus. Man I didn't realize that for some minutes, very long minutes, damn frustrating. But I accidentally found out right click does the trick so far.

Ok edit to come back again with what's up with right click to go back in a menu system? Is that a common design practice does anyone know? Where they on something? Don't want to jump to conclusions, maybe it's quicker than hitting a back selection. If they'd freaking even put in a back selection in all their menus to begin with. Yeah some of the menus have a back selection but I'm wondering how many do. Haven't been through all the menus yet.

Not yet damning the whole game for the right click thing which still works btw. The graphics are pretty nice beyond a meter or two. If they could patch it in some way to sharpen up objects a little closer. Doesn't have to be sharp to up close like Crysis 3 but closer than it is now.

Yeah I get the back button, but if you click on something, you're fucked and have to bind to some bullshit to get out of it and come back (who fucking programs this way?), you can't change WASD, its a fucking mess.

I swear to Christ, I would kick their scrum master in the nuts if I met him IRL.

Immediately I have two issues with the game currently.

- The poor LoD/graphics issues. No more to say here, the game looks like ass frequently. Additionally, why no HDR support on the PC version when the console version have it? The shit?

- The removal of the liberation system and destroying things to unlock places really sucks IMO. Every is 'mission' based now along with just generally causing chaos to unlock zones. This new system just doesn't work as well. There isn't much point to destroy stuff like before because it doesn't mean anything.

At this time I have to say this game is without a doubt the weakest game at this point. Even with the graphics issues fixed they completely removed what made the past two games so good and I can't figure out why they would basically get rid of a gameplay loop mechanic that people loved.

Immediately I have two issues with the game currently.

- The poor LoD/graphics issues. No more to say here, the game looks like ass frequently. Additionally, why no HDR support on the PC version when the console version have it? The shit?

- The removal of the liberation system and destroying things to unlock places really sucks IMO. Every is 'mission' based now along with just generally causing chaos to unlock zones. This new system just doesn't work as well. There isn't much point to destroy stuff like before because it doesn't mean anything.

At this time I have to say this game is without a doubt the weakest game at this point. Even with the graphics issues fixed they completely removed what made the past two games so good and I can't figure out why they would basically get rid of a gameplay loop mechanic that people loved.

Have you tried scrolling down to the bottom of the graphics menu and clicking apply? That worked and you can tell the difference between Low and Very High, the problem is Very High is pretty shitty lol.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2w2242s&s=9#.XAYaSmhKibg

Have you tried scrolling down to the bottom of the graphics menu and clicking apply? That worked and you can tell the difference between Low and Very High, the problem is Very High is pretty shitty lol.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2w2242s&s=9#.XAYaSmhKibg

Yes, the problem is that 'Very High' isn't that much better. My 2080Ti is only seeing 90% usage running this game with max settings @ 4k. Something is obviously wrong with this game currently, and I feel like they need to tweak the settings so a higher LOD can be achieved along with higher AA values.

To be clear the game runs fantastic.

This means there are one of two things happening - Either all the 'Very High' settings are actually more like 'medium' right now on the PC version. Or - The game is doing some adaptive rendering resolution changing on the fly to keep a higher frame rate but this is killing visual quality.

By the way refer to this - https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/just-cause-3-graphics-and-performance-guide

Just Cause 3 objectively was/is a better looking game currently, not to mention had superior AA options among other things. I really just can't figure out why they released this game with such poor graphics on the PC.

The shadows in particular - https://images.nvidia.com/geforce-c...eractive-comparison-002-very-high-vs-low.html

In Just Cause 4 even with 'Very High' the shadows in a similar setting basically look like shadows set to 'Low' in JC3.

Finally, the texture quality in Just Cause 4 is just piss poor compared to JC3.

Last edited:
Yes, the problem is that 'Very High' isn't that much better. My 2080Ti is only seeing 90% usage running this game with max settings @ 4k. Something is obviously wrong with this game currently, and I feel like they need to tweak the settings so a higher LOD can be achieved along with higher AA values.

To be clear the game runs fantastic.

This means there are one of two things happening - Either all the 'Very High' settings are actually more like 'medium' right now on the PC version. Or - The game is doing some adaptive rendering resolution changing on the fly to keep a higher frame rate but this is killing visual quality.

By the way refer to this - https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/just-cause-3-graphics-and-performance-guide

Just Cause 3 objectively was/is a better looking game currently, not to mention had superior AA options among other things. I really just can't figure out why they released this game with such poor graphics on the PC.

The shadows in particular - https://images.nvidia.com/geforce-c...eractive-comparison-002-very-high-vs-low.html

In Just Cause 4 even with 'Very High' the shadows in a similar setting basically look like shadows set to 'Low' in JC3.

Finally, the texture quality in Just Cause 4 is just piss poor compared to JC3.

I lost my saves on JC3 somehow :/ But it doesn't look that much better at 1440p, but the interface, menu and the opening scream quality compared to JC4... JC4 right now feels like when you have a quality IP, and then move to made for TV for the sequel...

I lost my saves on JC3 somehow :/ But it doesn't look that much better at 1440p, but the interface, menu and the opening scream quality compared to JC4... JC4 right now feels like when you have a quality IP, and then move to made for TV for the sequel...

I hope this isn't another Shadow of the Tomb Raider - a rushed sequel that didn't live up to the last two.

Back