Just bought a Griffin Powermate for Windows 7 64bit, anyone else running one?

Allisons Dad

Limp Gawd
Just like the title says. I am running Windows 7 64bit, and just picked up a Griffin Powermate off eBay. I see they have an updated driver, was just curious if anyone else has gotten these working on a 64bit install. Also, how customizable is the software, and how are you guys using them. Thanks!

I’m ditching my G15 keyboard after many years of use, so I just picked one up yesterday.

I just grabbed the 2.0.1 download from their site. Installed and works fine with Windows 7 64-bit on the system in my signature.

One bummer is that it loses functionality on the default global setting on fullscreen apps. If the app supports keystrokes for volume I think it would work but many games don’t. Hoping to find a workaround.

Ripster, I was hoping you'd chime in since I recall you have those cool mods on the Powermates...and legos!

It's a shame it can't work as a master volume control regardless of what's in the foreground. Oh well it's a neat device and comes in handy when at the Windows desktop. Getting my 1st mechanical keyboard and new mouse on Friday should look pretty spiffy with the Powermate.

So it can't function as a volume control while working on the desktop, or just when in full screen apps?

It works fine as volume control on the desktop. With fullscreen apps you need to set it up with the Powermate software, which is fine if the app will allow control with the powermate's default action or keystrokes. But in a game for example, where you have to open a menu and adjust the volume with sliders I can't figure out a way to make it work.

If there is a ingame hotkey you should be able to remap it.

Otherwise welcome to Windows! Macs won't have that problem.

Title says it all.

If you run Powermate in administrator mode, it will work in full-screen apps (I had a similar problem with a programmable keyboard which was fixed the same way).

This is on Windows 8 Pro. Played around with it last night and it seemed to work great! I would guess this would also work with Windows 7.

Nice mod! I just set mine on the same spot on my keyboard. Hadn't thought of that as a good place to put it.

Post and let us know if the administrator thing works. That way I can sleep knowing I made a contribution to society :).

I'd be very interested in this, one of the reasons I'm using my K90 is the great little volume roller on it (and the fact that I got it for $80-ish, and that I really like the open back plate)... I'd probably consider switching boards if the Griffin worked reliably for volume adjustment while gaming tho. (I've got no reason to dump my STX or get a better external headphone amp for now)

I've thought about getting the Powermate a few times but I was always put off by one apparent driver issue or another, not even sure I had stumbled across the full screen app issue, last time I looked at it I just left it bookmarked to research later on.

Last edited:
Hi

I just dug out my old usb powermate and want to use it for video editing, unfortunately I can't find my driver cd. Coould anyone please be so kind and mail me the latest windows drive please ?

Cheers
Rubi

Hi

I just dug out my old usb powermate and want to use it for video editing, unfortunately I can't find my driver cd. Coould anyone please be so kind and mail me the latest windows drive please ?

Cheers
Rubi

Griffin abandoned USB support for Windows. You can use Powermate 2.x on Windows XP/Vista/7, but using it in Win 8/8.1/10 is hit or miss, mostly miss.

You can download the latest PowerMate software here - PowerMate | Griffin Support

It's 2.0.1 for Windows (again, for XP/Vista, maybe 7), and 3.1 for OS X.

Hi Daniel

Thankyou for showing me where they hid their windows driver!

Cheers
Michael

Back