Jurors To Use VR Headsets To View Crime Scenes?

HardOCP News

[H] News
As if viewing crime scene photos while on jury duty wasn't bad enough, researchers are now saying that virtual reality technology could soon be used to recreate crime scenes for juries.

Jurors could use virtual reality technology to enter 'crime scenes' in the first project of its kind in Europe, it's reported. The concept uses green screens, the latest virtual reality headsets and technology from gaming, engineering and computing to help "transport" jurors to crime scenes. It's a project being tested by Staffordshire University and one that police say could become significant.

So who's fault will it be when someone screws up the virtual crime scene and sends an innocent person to jail?

If they capture the actual scenes in stereo, a HMD will be useful.
I can see VR representations will include bias, bullshit or mistakes.
Basic facts need to remain that, basic facts. Dont give an avenue for artistic license to ruin them.

Great another tool so that prosecutors can candy coat their case by only showing what is relevant to getting a guilty verdict.

So who's fault will it be when someone screws up the virtual crime scene and sends an innocent person to jail?

First thing I thought of. Depending on who sets up the VR environment, even small changes can make a big difference to a jurors perception.

i can see how this can be miss used, being the first one to show your story will burn the images in their minds.

Can't they do this already with existing photos? Just show the ones that help your case

Will be pretty hard to do if they are using one of those laser scanning devices which rotates and throws out lasers beams so fast and accurate that it builds up a 3d image of any crime scene.

Saw a program regarding these devices not long ago and they were crazy accurate, the actual 3d image that was made and displayed in as little as 5-10 minutes was scarily realistic, it had picked up every single thing including blood stains etc in the fake crime scene and displayed it in the 3d image, no real user input was needed apart from setting the device up and then starting the scan and then stopping it.

Seems like a good use of VR. I would think police might be able to capture details that would otherwise be hard to see. VR cameras are relatively affordable now - quality is improving as well.

It actually does seem like a good use, but they better get the tech working, and make it easy for the police to actually set up the crime scene in it. Otherwise, as has been mentioned, there are some serious flaws to consider.

they already have laser scanning systems for forensic data collection at a crime scene:

3D Crime Scene Mapping / Leica Geosystems - PSG - Leica Geosystems - Public Safety Group

so if there was a chain of evidence followed, I could see this being a lot better way to present evidence than some pictures on a easel or having the bailiff wheel in the tube Tv and the VHS player to present evidence.

the downside is if it isn't done well, the "VR" scene presented might not represent reality as well as the current methods and the companies that might sell this tech are potentially going to overcharge for this stuff.

they already have laser scanning systems for forensic data collection at a crime scene:

3D Crime Scene Mapping / Leica Geosystems - PSG - Leica Geosystems - Public Safety Group

so if there was a chain of evidence followed, I could see this being a lot better way to present evidence than some pictures on a easel or having the bailiff wheel in the tube Tv and the VHS player to present evidence.

the downside is if it isn't done well, the "VR" scene presented might not represent reality as well as the current methods and the companies that might sell this tech are potentially going to overcharge for this stuff.

I've plaid with those Leica scanners before (used to work for a civil engineering firm.) They're pretty cool. Of course back when I played with them around 7-8 years ago, the PCs could barely keep up with displaying the point clusters. I bet they're pretty cool now on modern hardware.

Back