John Carmack Says He’s Better at Optimizing than GPU Driver Programmers

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Megalith, Oct 12, 2017.

1. gtrguy

gtrguy n00bie

David Braben.. Less prolific though.

Seventyfive likes this.
  2. lostin3d

lostin3d Limp Gawd

I believe him.

Regardless of whether anyone else does, doesn't matter to me because for the last 5-10 years I cringe and wait after every NV driver update. Seriously never really know anymore what might get better and what will get worse or be broken. Sometimes takes weeks or months till I play something I haven't tried in while to find out and then I have to back track what driver worked last.

It took nearly six months past 378.92 before I got back my correct color depths for 4k. Back when Witcher 3 came out, and SLI support was still o.k., there were occasions when a driver take me from 90-120fps 1080p on my 970's down to 50-60fps. I remember having to reinstall older drivers then too.

3. Archaea

Archaea [H]ardness Supreme

Ahhh. I stand corrected. I thought Carmack was still the guy behind the new Doom engine.

4. cptnjarhead

cptnjarhead Crossfit Fast Walk Champion Runnerup

I thought DX12 and Vulkan were made so devs could do the optimizations?....As for Carmack... I would say any programmer, or someone who is at the level in their craft that he is, should be somewhat arrogant. Just not too much... nobody likes an asshole except other assholes. :)
    Carmack can back up his shit though... many cannot.

5. cyclone3d

cyclone3d [H]ardForum Junkie

You can take different code paths. You could even have different DLLs for different situations.. as in for different game engines that were specifically optimized for those game engines.

It really shouldn't be all that difficult to do that. Sure it would lead to people making driver packs again as well as driver switchers, but it would end up being a lot better optimization-wise.

Having one huge frankendriver is going to complicate things and make it harder to optimize for specific games while not hurting the performance of others.

Exposing the API better to developers would help.. but without the actual driver source code to work with, to make sure the API documentation is actually correct, it isn't going to make a huge difference, especially when the developers are generally on a very tight schedule and don't have the time to screw with more than they already have to deal with.

6. Hoddi77

Hoddi77 n00bie

Not to take away from his credit but Sousa joined id Software less than two years before the game came out.

7. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

Carmack is the Stephen King of videogames

8. InorganicMatter

InorganicMatter Pick your own.....you deserve it.

The problem in this industry is that most game engine programmers are pretty awful at their job. So awful that GPU driver developers frequently take it on themselves to inject performance fixes at runtime. This is why new games frequently need a new driver before they run well. I lost the link, but there was a really well-written article a few month ago by a GPU driver developer about this issue.

Mixing GPU drivers that silently "fix" things behind the scenes in undocumented ways with programmers that actually know what they're doing is a recipe for disaster.

Edit: Found it: https://www.gamedev.net/forums/topi...2vulkanmantle/?do=findComment&comment=5215019

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    JustReason likes this.
  9. Ur_Mom

Ur_Mom I'm Not Serious

Tell him to work with the GPU driver teams. Is he a good team player or is he just the prodigy that goes on a one man team thinking he's the greatest thing ever?

I like the guys work, but he sure is an arrogant bastard that just gets me in the wrong way. I just don't like the guy.

10. InorganicMatter

InorganicMatter Pick your own.....you deserve it.

GPU driver teams don't want to work with you, as they're deathly afraid of keeping their competitive secrets airtight. Their solution is to embed someone in your team to handle everything.

11. Vader1975

Vader1975 Limp Gawd

https://impellerstudios.com/ the guys at Impeller wrote the original X-Wing games. I bet they could give him a run.

Seventyfive and KazeoHin like this.
  12. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

No one should question Carmack. He is The Man. Anyone who disagrees is under 30 and doesn't realize this dude invented FPS.

Listen to some of his tech talks... maybe a little dry but you cannot deny this guy's brain is on another level.

13. _l_

_l_ Limp Gawd

just another example of mediocre minds shunning great minds

14. Syntax_Error

Syntax_Error [H]Lite

15. Mozgus

Mozgus n00bie

Just had to downgrade to August nvidia driver so Guild Wars 2 would stop shitting the G-Sync bed on every map change. I always clean install drivers. It absolutely is a driver issue. Carmack, work your magic!

16. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge 2[H]4U

I certainly couldn't get into it, though I don't get into most id games.

But man is it smooth, and texture pop-in- where witnessed- is an artifact of prioritizing smoothness over image quality, and it worked. And id continues to improve on it, with Doom 2016 as an impressive result. DICE and whoever is making CoD engines could only hope to produce something so effective.

17. Whach

Whach [H]ard|Gawd

I personally think he is rotting at Oculus with this VR fad.

18. viscountalpha

viscountalpha [H]ard|Gawd

Don't you mean quake? Doom ran fine on my 486dx2-66mhz. Of course I was running 32bit vlb and scsi.

19. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Limp Gawd

every game for the past 10 years..
    make it work on xbox and playstation = pc optimizations :(

20. Kor

Kor [H]ard|Gawd

Jeff Minter

gtrguy likes this.
  21. Seventyfive

Seventyfive Gawd

I think the reason he went was because he felt like he was rotting doing "regular" games. Doing VR is something completely new so maybe he is enjoying the challenge and the change. I've only been in my career for 12 years and I already and bored as hell and ready to do something different. I'm sure after 30 he was ready for some kind of shake up.

IdiotInCharge likes this.