Jeff Bezos Will Unveil a 'Big Surprise' On 60 Minutes Tonight

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
60 Minutes tonight will have a ”Big Surprise” announcement from Jeff Bezos concerning the upcoming Cyber Monday shopping day. Announcements like this are like a train wreck: you really don’t want to watch, but always do in fear you might miss something. :D

Bezos does have a flair for dramatic unveilings during briefings with reporters. The timing of the segment is opportunistic for Amazon

They designed UAVs to drop your packages on your doorstep. You heard it here first.

News programs are now commercials? Way to go! :)

I love Amazon, but I really don't care what he says. I won't be watching. Could be cool, but unless he cured cancer or something (or something about the Apollo rockets) - it's not worthy of 60 Minutes. It's good for a commercial.

News programs are now commercials? Way to go! :)

I love Amazon, but I really don't care what he says. I won't be watching. Could be cool, but unless he cured cancer or something (or something about the Apollo rockets) - it's not worthy of 60 Minutes. It's good for a commercial.

These days its heading to where "60 Minutes isn't worthy of this".

Yeah, I agree that Bezos is a bit of a showman but I have nothing but praise of Amazon.
And the few gripes I have are relatively minor (like Audible books are DRM locked down)
The most recent Amazon A-maze-ing moment was when I needed a car battery and was highly pissed off about the local retailers high prices and the fact they DEMANDED a core return for free or charged you a high fee.

I purchased a Optima battery cheaper than any local store offered no tax, no shipping, no core charge received it in 2 days. ;)

More and more the frustration of finding items and parts locally is quickly satisfied by online vendors. Local stores use to offer good service, that is GONE!
I looked for a primer bulb for my chain saw the other day at Lowes. I purchased the saw at the same store a couple years ago. They use to have a large section of common failure parts (they did carry this part until recently). Now there is NOTHING. Unless you want a spark plug or an air filter, shop elsewhere. The clueless clerks response was "well, I can order that for you".
No thanks.

Yeah, I agree that Bezos is a bit of a showman but I have nothing but praise of Amazon.

Same here. Amazon is an excellent company with a huge focus on it's customers. Nothing but love for them. But, using the 60 Minutes news program as a commercial/publicity thing? Arrg... I could be wrong, it could be some valid news. But, if it's just a publicity thing, I'll be disappointed in ol' Jeffy.

Hes going to announce a better search function of Amazon.

Their search is AWFUL! I'm willing to bet that it's purposely bad just dupe people into buying additional items. There is no way it's an accident or an unsolvable problem.

Heard something somewhere about them giving shared Prime users access to Prime Video as well.

The announcement will be that the lightning deals on Cyber Monday will actually be good?...

what was the name of that town where you can shoot down UAV's?

So the distribution center is so close that a slow-flying drone can reach you in 30 minutes. Plus leave behind some costly plastic box. So, I mean, you should be able to drive there in the same time to pick it up. Then again, that would probably completely disrupt the efficiency of the warehouse.

I was half joking, but could tell from the 60 minutes commercial what they were teasing.

So the distribution center is so close that a slow-flying drone can reach you in 30 minutes. Plus leave behind some costly plastic box. So, I mean, you should be able to drive there in the same time to pick it up. Then again, that would probably completely disrupt the efficiency of the warehouse.

Hell, they could do their own shipping company instead of using FedEx/UPS/USPS and do same day delivery in many places.

This will never work. How long before people shoot them down (bb gun/slingshots/real gun etc) and steal your stuff, or the drone malfunctions and crashes down on people or cars.

This will never work. How long before people shoot them down (bb gun/slingshots/real gun etc) and steal your stuff, or the drone malfunctions and crashes down on people or cars.
Shooting down a flying vehicle to steal stuff isn't a really good idea for what should be obvious reasons.

Also, the same argument could be said for most planes. I am sure they won't release these until the air safety is thoroughly vetted.

I mean, i just dropped about $300 worth of shit into a UPS drop box somebody could take a crowbar too and walk away with, but i still feel pretty safe doing it.

Shooting down a flying vehicle to steal stuff isn't a really good idea for what should be obvious reasons.

Also, the same argument could be said for most planes. I am sure they won't release these until the air safety is thoroughly vetted.

True, but how many criminals do you know who think stuff through? People are a-hole and a slow flying drone is easy pickings compared to a drop box...

And the few gripes I have are relatively minor (like Audible books are DRM locked down)
The most recent Amazon A-maze-ing moment was when I needed a car battery and was highly pissed off about the local retailers high prices and the fact they DEMANDED a core return for free or charged you a high fee.

I purchased a Optima battery cheaper than any local store offered no tax, no shipping, no core charge received it in 2 days. ;)

More and more the frustration of finding items and parts locally is quickly satisfied by online vendors. Local stores use to offer good service, that is GONE!
I looked for a primer bulb for my chain saw the other day at Lowes. I purchased the saw at the same store a couple years ago. They use to have a large section of common failure parts (they did carry this part until recently). Now there is NOTHING. Unless you want a spark plug or an air filter, shop elsewhere. The clueless clerks response was "well, I can order that for you".
No thanks.

I'll agree that for most things Amazon beats pretty much everyone else, but speaking from personal experience car batteries can be problematic...

For one thing, unless things have changed, due to shipping regulations on batteries you pretty much can't ship them back for any reason once you get them.

Another issue that I've personally had a few years back with an Optima on Amazon, was that Optima (which at this point I now know to stay away from because they are quite well known for being overpriced and prone to failing) battery failed within a few months, but because of the issue of not being able to ship the battery back to Amazon, and Optima not considering Amazon an "authorized" retailer or something along those lines... I was SOL.

Granted this was a few years back and it may have changed, but some items are still best to buy local. Personally when it comes to a battery, unless they have it on the shelf with a production date sticker less than 3 months old, I'd *rather* they order a new one for me.

Just something to keep in mind

I wonder how powerful are these drones going to be? Imagine stong winds, blowing a bunch of them off course, bad gps during storms, other flying predators etc that will affect the delivery. Conceptually a great idea but as someone else mentioned so were the Segways...

A lot of well intended claptrap to keep his visionary image going for a high profile news interview, but won't work because most people are evil.

How does it know where your door is on your property? Do you use an app to log a GPS coordinate into their system before being eligible for airborne delivery?

I'll chime in optima batteries. They are terrible now. I had used them before fit both performance reasons and sound system reasons. But now? won't touch them, much like ocz products!

How does it know where your door is on your property? Do you use an app to log a GPS coordinate into their system before being eligible for airborne delivery?

Yep. Our maybe you buy there GPS device that gives then pin point accuracy ( smartphones are often less accurate than dedicated GPS devices ) and you'll be good to go.

The green crowd will have a field day with those plastic delivery boxes.

Also what about people living in large buildings? They are targeting dense urban areas after all. Will the 30 story apartment building just have your new cpu dropped in front of the door to be stolen?

Thieves are oing to start working on a jammer to intercept package drones. If you can steal a BMW with a RF programmer, I know you can take out one of these.

Between logistic nightmare and the fact that the hubs themselves need to be sort of close by? I don't see this idea really getting anywhere. If UPS/Fedex wants to do package drones then I'd be up for that.

Notice they called it prime, so they would target frequent users. They'll probably have some type of return system. Partner with 7/11s for a dropoff point (kind of similar to the lockers they have at some areas) or have the post office pick them up.

the idea of cutting out the middlemen UPS and fedex, isnt too far off.

i can see removing the shippng company from the equation, and having a society/community/city layout to where its direct from seller/producer to customer.

Back