JEDEC Talks DDR5

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
JEDEC announced that in the in-progress standards for DDR5, the next generation RAM technology is planned to double both the bandwidth and density over DDR4, as well as to deliver improved channel efficiency. They also discuss a new hybrid NVDIMM-P standard. Work on both standards is reportedly progressing quickly.

Personally I am still on DDR3 in my x79 Sandy-Bridge-E system. If I don't have a reason to upgrade soon, maybe I will skip the DDR4 generation all together? I haven't skipped a RAM generation since the 286 days (with the exception of Rambus RDRAM of course)

Mian Quddus, Chairman of the JEDEC Board of Directors, said: “Increasing server performance requirements are driving the need for more advanced technologies, and the standardization of next generation memory such as DDR5 and the new generation persistent modules NVDIMM-P will be essential to fulfilling those needs.” He added, “Work on both standards is progressing quickly, and we invite all interested engineers worldwide to visit the JEDEC website for more information about JEDEC membership and participation in JEDEC standards-setting activities.”

I didn't skip RDRAM (it was gonna be the future), but I may skip DDR4. Those Sandy Bridge-E systems are awesome.

Heh, I went from Core2Duo, DDR2 and GTX285 to Skylake, DDR4 and GTX1060. o_O

i'll be going from a phenom II x4 940 and DDR2 to DDR4 and ryzen..

but i can send you some RDRAM with the empty slot spacers if you want Zarath so you can't say you missed that terrible part of ram history.

Still running DDR3 and waiting for fifth gen before major upgrade.

but i can send you some RDRAM with the empty slot spacers if you want Zarath so you can't say you missed that terrible part of ram history.
Wow. I remember those CRIMMs.

Ironically, just last night I was going through a closet looking for an old keyboard and came across a box with a bunch of ram that I can't even remember what it went to.

I think I'm going to be skipping DDR4 also. I really don't have any reason for a new build these days. Recently brought back to life my I7 2600k rig and can't wait to drop a 1080ti in it. Just ordered a 960GB SSD to replace it's platter raid and might upgrade the memory later. My X79 is poised to last quite a bit longer still.

Update Asus Strix OC on its way. . .

Last edited:
I think it is finally time for me to move on from this 72 pins EDO SIMMs!

My 286 had 4x 256kb 30 pin SIMMs.

$_58.JPG

Personally I am still on DDR3 in my x79 Sandy-Bridge-E system. If I don't have a reason to upgrade soon, maybe I will skip the DDR4 generation all together? I haven't skipped a RAM generation since the 286 days (with the exception of Rambus RDRAM of course)
I have 32GB of pretty nice 1.35V RAM in my main rig, and I like the fact that I can exchange RAM between every system - Core2, Nehalem / Westmere, Phenom II, Sandy, Ivy, Haswell.
Would likely skip DDR4, but the temptation of Ryzen / Threadripper is very strong :(

Still running DDR3 and waiting for fifth gen before major upgrade.

Wow. I remember those CRIMMs.

funny thing is for a while those empty slot sticks were selling for more than the actual RDRAM.. but yeah that was by far the dumbest design i had ever seen and am thankful RDRAM never became a standard.

Slightly off topic but going with the flow. . .I once owned an Atari 400 that came with 16k. We found a 48k kit for it. The kit inlcuded one 32k board and another 16k you had to solder onto it. Back in the day it cost around $75 and was a nice way for major performance increase. I didn't fully stop using that system until the mid-late 80's. Good times.

Very interesting...I'd hold out with what I have now, but it'll probably be at least 3-4 years before DDR5 is prevalent enough to not have shiny-new raked-over-the-coal pricing like we're just on the tail end of DDR4.

My 286 had 4x 256kb 30 pin SIMMs.

View attachment 20856

I wanted to upgrade an old Am386-SX33 I had back in the early 90's from 4x256K to 4x1MB SIMMs, but the best deal I could find was $35 each for *used* modules. Too rich for my blood back then, so I stuck it out with 1 meg, DOS 6.22, and no HDD until I finally upgraded to a Cyrix 6x86 with a 255MB HDD, 8x CD-ROM, 96MB RAM (2x32 + 2x16 72pin EDO), 4MB Trident 9440, and Win95 (retail version on 3.5" floppies!) in the winter of 1995.

Last edited:
Back