• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

JBL Sub150 $149 shipped

stiltner

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Mar 16, 2000
Messages
10,698
JBL SUB150 Subwoofer, $150 shipped from JBL

There's 3% cashback there also, and use your favorite CC for some
more back :)

$149 is a great deal shipped for this sub, thats basically Dayton Audio level
prices for a much more powerful sub

300W RMS 500W Peak is no slouch, 2 of these in a 7.2 setup with the Pioneer I posted
last week would crush the hearts and souls of children blocks away :D
 
Would this sub pair well with desktop speakers?

If you want your chair to rattle with your gameplay. It's a pretty big sub for office use, you would have to turn the gain down pretty far. It is down firing though, that's a plus if you want to stick it under the desk.
 
If you want your chair to rattle with your gameplay. It's a pretty big sub for office use, you would have to turn the gain down pretty far. It is down firing though, that's a plus if you want to stick it under the desk.

I would be sticking this under a desk and I plan on upgrading from my desktop speakers to larger bookshelf or floor standing ones in the future.

Is this that great a deal that I can pull the trigger and have no regrets? I've been looking for a sub that's <$200.
 
Last edited:
It's a great sub, we are saying is damn huge for a desk. It will knock things over on your desk if turned up. It will work fine, but probably never see 50% of it's potential unless you like stupid-loud bass. If it's too big you could always move it to a home theater later.
 
Out of curiosity, most subs I have looked at have line in and line out. I have active desktop monitors that would connect to the sub, but how then would I connect the sub to my sound card?
 
Out of curiosity, most subs I have looked at have line in and line out. I have active desktop monitors that would connect to the sub, but how then would I connect the sub to my sound card?
Use a 3.5mm to RCA cable. I don't remember if it is the left or right channel that carries the sub signal (the other carries the center channel), but you should be good to go. There usually isn't any real need to connect both left and right channels if the amplifier has both left and right RCA jacks, but if you want to you can get a female -> 2 male splitter.
 
fwiw, don't buy a downfiring subwoofer if you are going to place it on a concrete subfloor. The bass is severely dampened by the concrete.

I once had an HSU VTF2-Mk3 12" sub that was downfiring in a ground level apartment that had wood floor joists then subfloor and carpet. It worked great. When I bought a house and moved it to the basement with a concrete floor (carpet covering it), the bass was very, very poor. I was pretty surprised. I sold it to a coworker (after doing an in-their-home demo) which again had a wood subfloor and it performed well.
 
I think it's funny that it's being marketing as "Magnetically shielded for placement... right next to your TV or video display.". Since when have LCDs been affected by magnetic fields?
 
Would this be good for a living room that's also open to a dining room/kitchen? It's about 500-600 square feet total.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I would be sticking this under a desk and I plan on upgrading from my desktop speakers to larger bookshelf or floor standing ones in the future.

Is this that great a deal that I can pull the trigger and have no regrets? I've been looking for a sub that's <$200.

I have the M-Audio 10" sub which is probably similar in power to the JBL, I have the gain turned nearly all the way down since it it is so powerful. I chose this one even though it was really pricey
because it made hookup to my M-Audio BX5's much easier, and they are a matched set now.
I do like the foot switch bypass pedal so I can bypass the sub if I need to.

cubicle-led-lit-up.jpg
 
Back
Top