Java Tops List of Software Skills in Demand

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Dice is a tech related career placement service that tracks the needs of the technology industry. Their latest survey of 1200 tech-related managers puts Java developers squarely on top of the hiring heap. They have compiled a list of the top ten professional positions currently in demand.

Demand for tech professionals with java know-how has grown year over year for more than two years as measured by job postings on Dice.

They have always said this but I ask, where exactly is Java being used? Surely, it can't all be Java server pages. I want to know the answer.

Maybe it is that people who know Java well can better adapt to other concepts.

They have always said this but I ask, where exactly is Java being used? Surely, it can't all be Java server pages. I want to know the answer.

It's used in lots of different things in a non advertized role. e.g. Blu rays.

Lots of SDKs I use had javascript for extended functionality, or have coding that is very similar to java. e.g. the unreal development kit (which is used for most PC/console games it seems and also 3d phone games). It's also used on phone applications.

My thoughts also. I have worked in the software industry since the mid '90s and have yet to encounter Java anyplace I have worked.

My thoughts also. I have worked in the software industry since the mid '90s and have yet to encounter Java anyplace I have worked.

I've seen Java and .NET everywhere I've worked the last 15 years or so, mostly Fortune 500 companies.

I've seen Java and .NET everywhere I've worked the last 15 years or so, mostly Fortune 500 companies.

What kind of software has it been used for?

I saw the above post mentioning a lot of firmware for devices is in Java (I can believe that). But are Android apps the only things that really use java (at least things that are distributed to everyone on the internet?).

What kind of software has it been used for?

I saw the above post mentioning a lot of firmware for devices is in Java (I can believe that). But are Android apps the only things that really use java (at least things that are distributed to everyone on the internet?).

Business software, web apps and middleware.

Doesn't surprise me, I see 2 Java and 3 .NET openings at my company alone, haha.

There are a fair number of things where Java dominates; mobile apps on android, blackberry, and feature phones (j2me). Hadoop (open source map/reduce) is Java based. Lots of 'enterprise middleware', etc.

In my experience, it seems like it's the other way; it's hard to teach someone who is proficient in only Java another language, but most people is proficient in another language can quickly self-teach themselves Java. I believe this is because Java hides too much of the computer from the programmer; good for code portability, bad for understanding how things work.

Really it's used a lot. just looking at web apps well, google and facebook for one, is built on it I think.. JSP, scriptlets, ajax, sql interfaces, android apps. Yea everything is moving away from C++ to Java in the sense that it's better to learn Java first.

72 positions open in the company I work for that list Java/.NET as a primary or supporting skill.

At least when I was getting my MIS degree, .NET had a higher emphasis than Java.

But both were fairly similar to each other.

We used Java for business application at one of the top 3 healthcare insurance companies. The school I am attending now focuses largely on Java since it is easy to learn.

At least when I was getting my MIS degree, .NET had a higher emphasis than Java.

But both were fairly similar to each other.

My current degree track in software has little to no Java courses.
Good to see that demand in Florida is strong, maybe I don't have to leave the state afterall, that's if the salary is comparable nationally.

Maybe I should look into Florida for a job. It's been a year since I graduated, and for 7 of those months, I couldn't find a BA or something related job.

Java is so slow. Everything (online) written in Java (or flash) feels disconnected, sluggish, wrong.

Click a button, nothing happens for two seconds...suddenly the browser catches up and the page element updates...but only halfway, then 3-4 seconds the rest of it updates...then the server on the side doesn't respond quick enough and the entire page resets and you're back to square one (such as a java based form). And no, this isn't a browser specific thing.

Lazy, high level code, for lazy, bad programmers.

The hospital I work for uses an asset tracking system...god awfully slow. In my previous job, they had an "e-form" that was java based, the above paragraph was pretty much the exact (daily) issues I'd have with it.

Automobiles, (radios, various engine systems) consumer electronics (bluray, TVs, washing machines), a large amount of Android has a Java foundation, dumbphones use it in brew, settop boxes and on and on. A lot of places you wouldn't expect it.

(unless you're in the medical field) No one knows the big medical supplier companies either. The medical supplies field probably has a huge piece of the new java jobs pie. My brother just got a Java job at one.

Java Developers are different than Software Engineers I heard.
I call them "monkeys with keyboards". Java developers, that is.

Really it's used a lot. just looking at web apps well, google and facebook for one, is built on it I think.. JSP, scriptlets, ajax, sql interfaces, android apps. Yea everything is moving away from C++ to Java in the sense that it's better to learn Java first.
AJAX is asynchronous JavaScript and XML (or, more commonly today, JSON). JavaScript (ECMAScript) and Java are very different things.

Facebook's core architecture is mostly C++ these days.

Java is so slow. Everything (online) written in Java (or flash) feels disconnected, sluggish, wrong.

That's just ignorant. Java is not slow at all. Swing or Java applettes for UI might be slow compared to other UI technologies (and I certainly wouldn't choose them to implement a UI), but the language itself is not slow. The concern for me with Java is it's elevated memory usage. If Java was really slow, it wouldn't be so highly leveraged in web backends (see: Apache Tomcat) or as a platform for writing mobile apps. For that matter, considering what it does, Flash is not slow either. Every language has it's pluses and minuses...every technology decision comes to a tradeoff. For example, if I choose to implement something in Flash, it is probably because animation performance is more important to me and worth the tradeoff of slow XML parsing. Anyone making blanket statements like that is either ignorant or too lazy to go investigate what is really the right technology for their situation.

People are still claiming that Java is high level garbage? Really? There are plenty of things I dislike about Java -- but C++ isn't the answer to everything. It is far easier to write crap code in C++ than in Java -- I've seen developers at all levels do it. Again, an engineer who is worth his salt will figure out what the appropriate answer is for the problem they are facing. If I am doing an embedded system or something where I really NEED top performance, than C++ is a likely answer. Of course, that doesn't consider the cost of development, which is generally higher in C++. Bottom line: an engineer's job is to determine the correct tool for the job, not the tool the engineer enjoys using most.

Just wait until you realize the world is starting to embrace javascript as the language to replace java.

The problem I have with Java is that it isn't safe to use. If you enjoy your companies database being hacked and all of your customer's personal info being stolen then use Java.:rolleyes: The same with flash.

Right now, there is a multi-State wide program that forces all pawn brokers in my state and many others to use a web based application to enter in every single pawn ticket over a web based Java app.

Problem #1 Only Internet explorer can be used.
Problem #2 The security settings in IE have to be set to the lowest level.
Problem #3 The version of Java used cannot be updated it must remain at whatever version they started with. (leaky buggy shit on a stick)

Now some totally pro Java Dev is going to come in here and tell me how wrong I am. Or that they could do this better. That isn't the point though is it.

Java is Hot Garbage. STOP USING IT!

Now some totally pro Java Dev is going to come in here and tell me how wrong I am. Or that they could do this better. That isn't the point though is it.

Well that kind of IS the point. One can write a bad, security issue riddled application in ANY language. C/C++ is leaky as it comes.

The problem I have with Java is that it isn't safe to use. If you enjoy your companies database being hacked and all of your customer's personal info being stolen then use Java.:rolleyes: The same with flash.

Right now, there is a multi-State wide program that forces all pawn brokers in my state and many others to use a web based application to enter in every single pawn ticket over a web based Java app.

Problem #1 Only Internet explorer can be used.
Problem #2 The security settings in IE have to be set to the lowest level.
Problem #3 The version of Java used cannot be updated it must remain at whatever version they started with. (leaky buggy shit on a stick)

Java is Hot Garbage. STOP USING IT!

What you are describing is a java web applet (and not a very good one, apparently) and those are a minuscule fraction of java software out there.

From reading this thread, it seems to me that few people (if any) know much about java, and what they think they know is some combination of inaccurate and out-of-date by a decade or so. Java is a huge player in a number of spaces, just not the ones folks here are familiar with.

Java is a huge player in a number of spaces, just not the ones folks here are familiar with.

I'm business software developer, .NET primarily, I'm quite familiar with Java's uses in the business IT world as would anyone who works in corporate IT.

I call them "monkeys with keyboards". Java developers, that is.

AJAX is asynchronous JavaScript and XML (or, more commonly today, JSON). JavaScript (ECMAScript) and Java are very different things.

Facebook's core architecture is mostly C++ these days.

It's C++ because it was written in PHP originally :rolleyes: Ironically if they had written it in Java to begin with they wouldn't have had the scalability issues that forced them to rewrite their core in C/C++.

Sure there's lots of terrible Java developers out there but the same can be said for any language that's easy to pick up or in widespread use.

I bet most of the demand centers around APIs for mobile devices... as Java has one of the best performance / simplicity ratios for writing application servers.

Back