Japanese Hologram Rocks Sold Out Concert

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you have not heard of Hatsune Miku before, you aren’t Japanese. Hatsune is big in the digital world, really big. She is a virtual avatar pop star appearing at live (if that is what you would call it) concerts in Japan in the form of a 3D-hologram. The hologram is accompanied by a live band and is selling out concerts across Japan. Look out all of you temperamental rock stars, you really can be replaced.

One step closer to completely natural speech-to-text and text-to-speech software.

It seems like they could recreate old concerts with this.

I'd love to see a recreated Pink Floyd or Zeppelin show from the early 70's.

Is this flat, so no matter what way you look you're seeing the same picture. Or is it completely 3D?

The program itself used for "singing" the song is more than 3 years old already. Vocaloid2 was released August 2007. Various voices are available right now, and I currently have 8 "voices", plus 2 more "variations" of two of them. It's quite amazing really, and there are even plans (relatively recently) of making more fully-English voice files. As it stands there's only one "English" voice, and it's decent enough but still "un-English", if that were possible.

Although you can still attempt to make the voices sing in English anyway, but Japanese is still their specialty, considering the voices are based on Japanese voice actresses/actors and singers. Each voice has a sample of each possible Japanese syllable. Of course consonant-ending English words need to be somewhat "revised" when typing in the lyrics, so to make Miku sing "hard" you type it as "hardo" instead.

Talking about the 3D, quite impressive indeed. No need to wear 3d glasses, and actually quite convincing.

@Tolyngee: That is quite unfair on Miku Hatsune. Miku isn't a lesbian.

This really sickens me. Perhaps I'm looking at it in the wrong way.

1. Are the Japanese going to have sex with Anime next - they're just so in love with Anime figures?
2. Replacing yourself with an Anime cartoon basically proves to me that Japanese people dislike the way they look and try to incarnate themselves into artwork. I don't know why - I love how the look.
3. All those allegedly tech-savvy Japanese people.. dancing to a Final Fantasy character.. don't they have PS3's? If some Texan saw it, he'd probably poop himself.. but Anime? A dime a dozen.
4. The graphics aren't that great, from what I can see. They look like the latest PC Game graphics - decent textures, tessellation and not that great physics.
5. The only thing that would impress me is her ACTUALLY providing the movement for the hologram (if you can call it that).. but it really doesn't seem so. Or at the very least, it's not very accurate.

When I read the title, I thought "Wow, the Japanese have managed to perfectly mold THEMSELVES into 3D and are capable of controlling that 3D figure in complete realism".. not this little internet icon dancing on stag. Yuck.

This really sickens me. Perhaps I'm looking at it in the wrong way.

1. Are the Japanese going to have sex with Anime next - they're just so in love with Anime figures?
2. Replacing yourself with an Anime cartoon basically proves to me that Japanese people dislike the way they look and try to incarnate themselves into artwork. I don't know why - I love how the look.
3. All those allegedly tech-savvy Japanese people.. dancing to a Final Fantasy character.. don't they have PS3's? If some Texan saw it, he'd probably poop himself.. but Anime? A dime a dozen.
4. The graphics aren't that great, from what I can see. They look like the latest PC Game graphics - decent textures, tessellation and not that great physics.
5. The only thing that would impress me is her ACTUALLY providing the movement for the hologram (if you can call it that).. but it really doesn't seem so. Or at the very least, it's not very accurate.

When I read the title, I thought "Wow, the Japanese have managed to perfectly mold THEMSELVES into 3D and are capable of controlling that 3D figure in complete realism".. not this little internet icon dancing on stag. Yuck.

Wow, that's a lot of frustration? I kinda feel sorry for you if that's how you think when you see an anime girl dancing on a stage and people cheering. 100% male audience, amirite? So, do you going to make it through the night being as sick to your stomach as you are? Need to go to the ER and tell the Doctor that Miku Hatsune is making you sick? Don't think he'll tell you to chill out JUST A TAD?

It's an anime character in 3D at a concert. Their youth love anime, generally speaking. So you're saying that they're thinking (or subconsciously thinking) about the race as "We're all brown eyed, squinted eyed, black haired A breasted (if applicable) people who want blue hair, round eyes and to be perpetually stuck at 16."

No, dude. They're going where the money is. (Anime) This is just one avenue they're taking to rake it in. While I'm sure quite a few pubescent Japanese kid wouldn't mind bedding down with Ms. Hatsune I sincerely doubt that's the reason she's (it's?) on stage singing.

I should add, since I don't see an edit key, that I'm not a fan of J-pop/J-rock etc and that I couldn't even consider buying a ticket for this, but Christ on a stick, an anime chick dancing around is beyond nothing new no matter where it happens or who is paying for it. As a matter of fact I understand they dig it and have competitions for that crap. Just look up 'hare hare yukai' ffs

Wow, that's a lot of frustration? I kinda feel sorry for you if that's how you think when you see an anime girl dancing on a stage and people cheering. 100% male audience, amirite? So, do you going to make it through the night being as sick to your stomach as you are? Need to go to the ER and tell the Doctor that Miku Hatsune is making you sick? Don't think he'll tell you to chill out JUST A TAD?

It's an anime character in 3D at a concert. Their youth love anime, generally speaking. So you're saying that they're thinking (or subconsciously thinking) about the race as "We're all brown eyed, squinted eyed, black haired A breasted (if applicable) people who want blue hair, round eyes and to be perpetually stuck at 16."

No, dude. They're going where the money is. (Anime) This is just one avenue they're taking to rake it in. While I'm sure quite a few pubescent Japanese kid wouldn't mind bedding down with Ms. Hatsune I sincerely doubt that's the reason she's (it's?) on stage singing.

Wow, that's a lot of frustration? I kinda feel sorry for you if that's how you think when you see a forum comment and completely misinterpret it.
He's not talking about why the concert exists, obviously to make money. What he's talking about, is that there's a market for such a spectacle, which does indeed say a lot about the culture.
Make no mistake - this concert, is ridiculous. The audience interaction (normally reserved for the recognition of an actual performer) speaks volumes. The concept of a concert is that it is live, and also I guess, the social experience for some. This takes out the entire live aspect. While in the future I can see such a spectacle occurring with an interactive and 'live' stage performance, but that is not what 'this' is, and I wonder who would pay for such a scene. The person you quoted thought the same, as a rational and logical person. This is ridiculous.

I'm sure we could rig up a spinning HardOCP logo and you could beat your hands to it in tune with every rotation, now THAT'S a concert!~

Well, for a person seeing it for the very first time I thought it was remarkable... Reading the responses to the thread it seems it may not be as remarkable tech-wise, and we might have some cultural conflict(s) going on, but even with that it's still remarkable.

That computer program, piece of glass, and outdated 3-D model put on a show that lots of people were willing to pay cash to see. Frankly, even if I'm not a fan of the music style, and cannot fully wrap my head around it I have to respect how well it all came together.

The folks there were having a blast - why delve deeper into it than we have to when all it's about is providing entertainment. Humans have found sicker things to get their kicks out of over the years.

Ughhhh vocaloid. . . sorry but going to see a hologram at a "concert" is just sad .. . but then again it's Japan. . . . so.

huh_.jpg

yeah . . .

Wow, that's a lot of frustration? I kinda feel sorry for you if that's how you think when you see a forum comment and completely misinterpret it.
He's not talking about why the concert exists, obviously to make money. What he's talking about, is that there's a market for such a spectacle, which does indeed say a lot about the culture.
Make no mistake - this concert, is ridiculous. The audience interaction (normally reserved for the recognition of an actual performer) speaks volumes. The concept of a concert is that it is live, and also I guess, the social experience for some. This takes out the entire live aspect. While in the future I can see such a spectacle occurring with an interactive and 'live' stage performance, but that is not what 'this' is, and I wonder who would pay for such a scene. The person you quoted thought the same, as a rational and logical person. This is ridiculous.

I'm sure we could rig up a spinning HardOCP logo and you could beat your hands to it in tune with every rotation, now THAT'S a concert!~

Your assumption that this concert is ridiculous is ridiculous. A live concert's scripted performance is hardly any more interactive than what was witnessed in this video. I'm not seeing how your making such a distinction that would render this performance merit-less and grounds for dismissal of a foreign culture.

Man this hologram is better than the flickery one-colored stuff they had in Star Wars :(

Unless you blame the flickering on problems of transmitting images over galactic distances.

I should add, since I don't see an edit key, that I'm not a fan of J-pop/J-rock etc and that I couldn't even consider buying a ticket for this, but Christ on a stick, an anime chick dancing around is beyond nothing new no matter where it happens or who is paying for it. As a matter of fact I understand they dig it and have competitions for that crap. Just look up 'hare hare yukai' ffs

Eh, most J-pop/J-rock is nothing like this helium voiced singer. This is what they call idol pop I guess, and idols are mostly admired by otaku (notice the mostly male audience). Otaku are the socially awkward nerds of Japan that most Japanese raise an eyebrow to. Mainstream J-pop is Utada Hikaru or Namie Amuro.

I thought the technology it was pretty cool until I saw the glass at 2:40 like someone pointed out... so this was in fact not a 3d hologram?

I think 3d holographs is a really cool technology, I did a report on it in school, but I think to get real 3d it needs a failry complicated housing like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k5nt541SE0
probably hard to have on a stage

Back