Japanese Develop Smell-O-Vision TV

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
In something that reeks of a 50’s tech projection for the future, Japanese researchers have developed smell-o-vision for your viewing and sniffing pleasure. The system is still very much in development, so don’t get your nose out of joint just yet for the next must-have in your living room TV set. :D

They have created a smell-o-vision system that not only releases scents through the actual TV or monitor, but can pinpoint exactly where the smelly object is on-screen, and make the scents seem like they’re coming from those very pixels.

Oh great

I already keep arm and hammer baking soda in my fridge to prevent smells

Looks like I'll need a jumbo sized box for my living room

I worked a bit with smell-o-vision some years back... kinda strange tech... as a joke we hid it under teh bosses desk and turned it to "roast chicken" and dude was worried he'd gotten a worm cause he was so hungry all the time

actually, chocolate and whip cream are popular smells

Think about it, what the hell do you ever see on TV that you would even want to smell? Aside from a few cooking shows and maybe the occasional picturesque landscape, I can think of nothing.

Think about it, what the hell do you ever see on TV that you would even want to smell? Aside from a few cooking shows and maybe the occasional picturesque landscape, I can think of nothing.

Could make movies a lot more atmospheric.
Having a dramatic scene in the rain actually smell of rain.
The smell of smoke in an explosive fight.

Can't wait for all the baby posts on facebook that actually smell like diapers...

Back