Jackpot? or What to do with 30 cpus?

dugedug

n00b
Just got this in the mail from a relative that works in the comm. business.

30 x Intel Xeon L5238 2.66Ghz Dual Core 6M Cache 1333MHz LGA771 45nm C0 step
(these are the 35 Watt Max TDP cpus)

12 x Viking Interworks PC2-4200 553 DDR2 240pin ECC & Registered (FBDIMMs ?)

DSC00947.jpg

DSC00945.jpg

DSC00952.jpg

DSC00940.jpg

Ebay time?

Last edited:
Pff, that's easy, send a few to me! I will pay for shipping and everything!

And uhh..Where the HELL do you get relatives like that?

Oh and umm..If you want to keep them, maybe make a cluster for the fun of it? If you don't want them, then yes, ebay time.

Are those chips engineering samples?? IE the Intel Confidential marking? because if they are i didn't think u can sell those legally. i would start a server farm :)

Thanks for the link. Didn't know.
But it doesn't say I can't take "donations" for them, or charge a larger than normal shipping fee to give to someone, or trade them.

I plan on keeping a couple (my 3yr old son needs a new computer and these would go good on the Supermicro dual LGA771 uATx board I just ordered :p ), giving a couple to some friends... then toss the rest? :eek: :D

I'm sure there's someone on the [H]ardFolding team that can find a use for 'em, hey, it's a good cause!

Would it be against [H]ard|Forum rules to put a few of these up in a WTT thread?

The trade offer would be pretty lopsided if these go for $400-500 ea. (like 4-6 cpus for 2 Dell 2408WFPs). I'm also considering donating a few to the [H]ard|Folders.

Would it be against [H]ard|Forum rules to put a few of these up in a WTT thread?
You should probably ask an admin about that. I don't know if it would be permitted by Intel's license agreement.

I will be happy to make a donation to your favorite charity for a couple of pairs of those chips. these would work nicely for a folding rig :)

The trade offer would be pretty lopsided if these go for $400-500 ea. (like 4-6 cpus for 2 Dell 2408WFPs). I'm also considering donating a few to the [H]ard|Folders.

http://hardforum.com/announcement.php?f=17&a=4

In general, sales (and trading) of ES chips are not allowed. I also suggest not showing these off to the public, Intel has been known to contact sellers/holders of ES chips for them back, especially when found being traded/sold. E-bay sellers get contacted often, from what I hear.

Yea... if you really got those for free, putting them to good use (Folding) I don't see anything wrong with...

They seem like they'd be great for folding, low power-usage, but still decent quad-cores...

Just have whoever wants them pay for shipping... ? The FBDIMMs aren't ES though... heh... could sell those along with it and just throw in some proc's as part of the package.

I'd put two (or four) to good use. They'd most likely be part time folders. Other times they'd do rendering.

How do you end up with so many ES chips anyway, 'specially of a chip that's not particularly new (I think?). Don't tell me they fell off the back of a truck... :p

Every single one of those chips is still owned by Intel. Period.

All ES chips are loaned, not given away. They are all under NDA or other similar agreement, and are property of Intel, forever. Your relative is either breaking an agreement with their employer or directly with Intel by giving them to you rather than returning them or destroying them per their agreement.
You're in possession of a large bundle of stolen property when it comes down to it, something that Intel takes this very seriously, especially since it's not just a single wayward processor.

The fact that you have a case of RAM also points to these being removed in a less than honest manner from a lab environment.

You should contact your relative and educate them. Obviously no one wants to get their relative in trouble, but if they or the company they are working of is being this unscrupulous, the morally right thing to do is to contact Intel.

I have a contact with Intel Security that deals with ES issues, having worked with them in the past on this sort of thing. Anyone here should please feel free to PM me if they would like to do the right thing, and I can give you the contact info you need.

No truck specials. Wasn't told much about them, I was just asked if I could use a bunch of Xeon CPUs and ram. From what I know the company these were being used for has been bought out, liquidated, and no longer exists.

I'll end up using only ~8 of them. The rest will probably end up being 'donated'.

Then the right thing to do is to contact Intel, and they will trade you out for legit processors if you're telling the truth.

Shouldn't FBDIMMs have heatsinks on them?

you should do a test. how many cpus does it take to stop a bullet. couldn't be more than 30.

Every single one of those chips is still owned by Intel. Period.

All ES chips are loaned, not given away. They are all under NDA or other similar agreement, and are property of Intel, forever. Your relative is either breaking an agreement with their employer or directly with Intel by giving them to you rather than returning them or destroying them per their agreement.
You're in possession of a large bundle of stolen property when it comes down to it, something that Intel takes this very seriously, especially since it's not just a single wayward processor.

The fact that you have a case of RAM also points to these being removed in a less than honest manner from a lab environment.

You should contact your relative and educate them. Obviously no one wants to get their relative in trouble, but if they or the company they are working of is being this unscrupulous, the morally right thing to do is to contact Intel.

I have a contact with Intel Security that deals with ES issues, having worked with them in the past on this sort of thing. Anyone here should please feel free to PM me if they would like to do the right thing, and I can give you the contact info you need.

Rereading the Intel link on ES cpus at the bottom of the page there is a table that specifies what processors the ES process applies too:

This applies to:
Intel® Core™ Duo Processor
Intel® Core™ Solo processor
Intel® Core™2 Duo Desktop Processor
Intel® Core™2 Extreme Processor
Intel® Pentium® D Processor
Intel® Pentium® II Processor
Intel® Pentium® II Xeon® Processor
Intel® Pentium® Processor Extreme Edition

Solution ID: CS-030121
Date Created: 19-Jan-2009
Last Modified: 20-Jan-2009

The Intel® Xeon® Processor 5000/3000 Sequence L5238 is not on that list that was updated in Jan '09 (three quarters after the L5238 launch date). In my simple mind that means the ES policy does not apply to the L5238s. I will be calling Intel monday morning to investiage a little further if these are under some other policy.

I called my relative up and got more info. The original ES order was made by the PM (program manager) a year ago for a specific project. The company only has a couple more days in existance and all equipment that will be excessed, has already been. These were in the pile to be thrown in the dumpster and the PM said these could be saved from the dumpster and given to the employees that could use them. There will be no one around to "properly" return them, only an empty building and pink slips on the floor.

The RAM was purchased by the company and given to employees that wanted it as they were ordered for the same specific project and would be thrown.

This could go any number of ways yet.
I overnight the cpus to my relative and they try to return or exchange them in the next couple of days. I try to return or exchange them with Intel myself. Intel tells me to keep them. Or there is a tragic boating accident...

Back