IvyBridge-E Processors Already Being Sold Online

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though the new Intel Core i7-4930K is being sold online already. This company seems to have stock on hand with a price that is just above MSRP.

That's two day old news. You can find even preorders for i7-4820K in UK shops.

Also they blocked theirs supply, as you can see on that PAST DUE for these three 100 units stuff. Didn't that Japanese info say something about 3-11 as beginning of availability for supply chains?

SO haswell i7 or this?

My personal take on it is Haswell unless you have a true need for the other two cores for content creation or an application that truly needs the extra memory bandwidth. The IVBE has is solid at 4.6GHz. Expect a review on Friday.

So are we going to see some new boards hitting the market for IVB-E?
I am wanting to see what the 4930k has to offer, it may be in my near future....

I forget but is this the norm with Intel and 6-cores? If a 6-core Haswell doesn't come out until after Broadwell it looks like I'll never want to buy a 6-core :(

I'm not a typical user though, I just want to have 2 more cores than all my buddies :D

So are we going to see some new boards hitting the market for IVB-E?
I am wanting to see what the 4930k has to offer, it may be in my near future....

I would not expect a lot considering how few X79 were sold last time round.

Haswell's I/O is far too limited for me. I'm going for the 4280K when it comes out, along with an updated x79 board. This thing with Haswell boards having only 2 x8 slots, and maybe a x2 or x4 2.0 slot, is really annoying.

I have a 3930k right now, so it would technically be a downgrade, but my file/ Hyper-V training server (Core i7 920) died a couple weeks ago, and I haven't been able to find a decent server like board for anything except socket 2011. I have two raid controllers, 12 drives, and 16GB of memory sitting around doing nothing. So, I'll move my 3930k over to file server/ Hyper-V duty, giving me a huge Hyper-V base to train with, and put the 4280k into my gaming machine.

The down side of being a low level admin trying to move up: paying for equipment for self training. I figure I've spent $6k on hardware, server software, and books in the last year, but that's better than the five $3k classes I'd have to take to get the same training, plus using up my paid time off.

Absolutely a good point if you need all the PCIE lanes.

I am using the ASUS X79-Deluxe now and having a very good experience with it.

Edit: Wrong link, DOH.

Last edited:
SO haswell i7 or this?
It all depends on what you want out of your system.

If you want the best performance for tasks with 1-4 threads active then go for haswell.

If you have applications that can use more than four threads or have memory requirements beyond 32GB or requirements for large ammounts of fast PCIe then IB-E may be attractive to you.

I forget but is this the norm with Intel and 6-cores? If a 6-core Haswell doesn't come out until after Broadwell it looks like I'll never want to buy a 6-core :(
Intel's recent policy of releasing the mainstream parts first has certainly taken a lot of the shine off their high end desktop parts.

So, do this mean that Apple might be able to release the new Mac Pro next month?

I preordered my Core 2 Duo E6600 back in 2006 through ShopBLT and had a lot of issues getting it on time. Then again, 2006 was a long time ago and probably a lot of the staff that was there is no longer.

the 4930k's 2% increase over 3930k made my penis soft when I saw the reviews...

I ordered a i7 4930K from ShopBLT Monday and its out for delivery today.

Bench it and post results. (especially clock and voltage) Kyle would be doing somersaults because he's allowed to post his review at Friday.

now if only shuttle wasn't the only one who did an mITX but a little bigger motherboard..

I really want to buy one but i Have a Microcenter about 10 miles from my house and everytime i go there they give me crazy deals. I must hold off until Kyles review but i think im Jumping in on IVY-E

I really want to buy one but i Have a Microcenter about 10 miles from my house and everytime i go there they give me crazy deals. I must hold off until Kyles review but i think im Jumping in on IVY-E

I know. That's where I got my last two procs. However, they always have horrible motherboards. The last one I got there, a Gigabyte x79 board, is so temperamental when overclocking. It's going into my server (4 x8 slots, great for raid controllers) when I get the next MB from NewEgg or Amazon.

Let us know if it actually arrives.

I missed the Fed X delivery yesterday because they needed a signature so I received it today.

Will install it tomorrow.

IMG_3010.jpg

Will install it tomorrow.

Oh please do! I want to see the o/c and temperature ceiling on these vs the 32nm SB-Es now that they are using solder instead of paste...I am sure the best results would still come from a true de-lidded setup, but it will be nice if Intel actually listened to the temperature complaints and make sure they did a much better job with Ivy-E vs IVy/Haswell..

several manufactures are releasing revised X79 motherboards for IVY-E. I believe Asus already unveiled one, and from what I understand there is supposed to be an ROG Rampage V Formula. Evga claims the X79 Dark is their IVY-E 1UP.

Also I thought the 4930k and 4960X were supposed to come in black boxes and only the 4820K was in blue box... hmm Oh well.

Also I thought the 4930k and 4960X were supposed to come in black boxes and only the 4820K was in blue box... hmm Oh well.

Only the X chips come in black boxes. The k chips come in blue just like the normal chips.

several manufactures are releasing revised X79 motherboards for IVY-E. I believe Asus already unveiled one, and from what I understand there is supposed to be an ROG Rampage V Formula.
So there will be Rampage V Formula, and a new X79 Deluxe, but not Rampage V Extreme which is the only thing i care about, sigh.

Only the X chips come in black boxes. The k chips come in blue just like the normal chips.

Both of these should come in black boxes. Intel when the new chips don't have that much more capabilities, at least properly package them and make them cheap.

why does the quad 4820K have a higher base clock then either of the six-core chips?

why does the quad 4820K have a higher base clock then either of the six-core chips?
I can think of a couple of reasons.

The first is that as xBanzai89 says intel probablly want to offer a fast quad core on their high end desktop platform. Having a lower headline clock on the quad for the high end platform than the top quad for the mainstream platform would probablly not send out the message intel want to send to customers. It's bad enough that the high end platform is a generation behind the mainstream one but i'm guessing intel hope they can hide that through the misleading model numbers that became standard with the release of SB-E.

The second is that the stock (non-turbo) clock is probablly at least somewhat thermally constrained. The quad core has the same TDP for fewer cores so it can afford a higher stock clock.

Wondering how spacecowboy's chip went in? I was thinking of buying one from the same vendor early as well.

The 4930 is my choice. I see that ASUS has a bios update for it for the Rampage IV.

My question is if there will be new or updated Mobo's. I see that Asus has now released a BIOS update for the 4900 chips for the Rampage IV.

ASUS has a couple refreshes coming out. Here's the X79 Deluxe.

I hope somebody comes out with a similar board without the gold power ranger color scheme. Gigabyte had a few really nice looking black boards last gen.

Is it possible newer X79 boards will come with the BIOS that supports Ivy Bridge-E out of the box?

Also, will the current X79 boards support Ivy Bridge-E? (That way the BIOS can be updated via USB memory stick without the board beeping thinking there's no CPU in it.)

I'd love to wait for Haswell-E but that's not supposed to come out for another year if going by the speculations posted in other threads. That and I expect DDR4 RAM to cost more than DDR3 when it comes out.

Can't speak for all MB brands but Asus has support for IB-E in the last BIOS revision specifically and for new processors generally in the last couple of revisions.

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&s=42&m=SABERTOOTH%20X79&os=8&ft=3&f_name=SABERTOOTH-X79-ASUS-4302.zip#SABERTOOTH-X79-ASUS-4302.zip

Expect most new boards will ship with the proper BIOS pretty soon. A couple of people on the Asus forums have upgraded their CPU already and it worked. The rest of us waiting to see if it is a really worthwhile upgrade or just stick with our current processors.

Back