• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Ivy Bridge Delayed Until June.

So basically Intel wants to dry up some SB overstock before they end up with useless leftovers like C2D's and C2Q's that still on sale @ the Newegg? :p

Problee a good move, not like AMD is some kind of possible threat when it comes to CPU's :D They could hold off IB for like a year+ and it doesn't matter competitively with AMD, but they do need to keep up with AMD's APU GPU performance and they can't there yet.
 
The article talks about notebook processors a lot. Is there any possibility that it isn't referring to desktop CPUs?

Despite that the company will still announce the new products and ship a small volume of the processors in early April, mass shipments are not expected to occur until after June, according to sources from notebook players.

If it does refer to desktop CPUs as well, it looks as though there will be a little bit of stock in April. So... look forward to serious price gouging?

This is a huge nuisance for a number of my friends if this is true.
 
damn im gonna have to wait that much longer to get my IB sager :(
 
Well, I was on the fence with regards to building a SB rig now or wait a few short weeks for IB. Now that it looks like July-August at the earliest for IB, it seems that decision has been made for me.
 
Well, I was on the fence with regards to building a SB rig now or wait a few short weeks for IB. Now that it looks like July-August at the earliest for IB, it seems that decision has been made for me.

June.
 
I'm holding off until Ivy Bridge too. Well I guess I have more time to save then...
 
Hey, I know how they can move those "old" decrepit SB chips to make room for the new fangled IB ones. How about a 50% discount Intel? ;)
 
Hey, I know how they can move those "old" decrepit SB chips to make room for the new fangled IB ones. How about a 50% discount Intel? ;)

That will never happen, Intel owns the entire market now, expect the 3770K in limited supply to go for well over $400, if it shows up in April!:(
 
Hey, I know how they can move those "old" decrepit SB chips to make room for the new fangled IB ones. How about a 50% discount Intel? ;)

Yeah haha I agree.

2bad Intel is gonna bank for as long as they can now, so no price cuts in fact 2500k/2600k is both up 10.00 from a year ago when it debuted.

So yeah forget about price cuts, and forget about IB until Intel see's sales of SB dry up or they sell out of their SB inventory. New regime.
 
"mass shipments are not expected to occur until after June, according to sources from notebook players."

Good thing they specifically mention that the source is from the notebook side and not desktop.
 
I hope this isn't a sign of things to come with IB-E and Haswell.
 
How much of an improvement are the IB laptop chips going to be over the SB ones? I've been needing to get a laptop for a while now (I bought an x220 off of eBay but had to return it, and haven't purchased anything else yet), but given how long I've waited I'm tempted to just wait for the next set to come out if it's going to be that much better.

If it's minor I'll keep waiting/hoping for a sale on the Thinkpad X-series (or, well, a better sale than the recent ones have been).
 
IB mobile should get a bit better battery life with same or better performance and better IGP graphics.
 
FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

A man of few words! But you have to appreciate the high level of acheivement, style, and motivation. I couldn't have said it better!

Don't dibble dabble with extraneous word usages, just tell us how you really feel!;)
 
Last edited:
I'm in a bit of a dilemma and this delay only makes it worse.

I've already promised my Q9550/mobo/ram to a nephew as a college grad present, so I'm out my desktop in May. I currently work near a MicroCenter, but I do not live near it (commuting an hour+ each way to work). My contract is up end of March and after that it will be week-by-week. MicroCenter purchase is also more "under the radar" with fewer inquiries from spousal unit, although she's been running a i2400 for awhile so this is not that big of a deal.

Option 1) MicroCenter $50 off mobo with i2600k, with Asus P8Z68 pro gen3 is $474 after tax, save about $100 off newegg
Option 2) MicroCenter $100 off mobo with FX8120, FX8120 and Asus Sabertooth is $312 after tax, save about $60 off newegg
Option 3) Keep waiting, crossing my fingers that I can still do MicroCenter in late June.
 
IB mobile should get a bit better battery life with same or better performance and better IGP graphics.

Hm, the better graphics might make it worth the wait if it'll be noticable, especially on the ULV versions. I'll be using the integrated ones since I'll be getting something around a 11-12" and I do like being able to plays games casually.

The battery and performance are nice but not worth waiting for (unless I can't find a deal, heh).
 
Wish they would get on the right track, i know issues occur, but june from april, is a long time, especially with so many people waiting for it, since its so close and better performance then ivy bridge.
 
From reading the article it sounded more like they were only holding off to get rid of some more of their SB stock.
 
And I was in the market for a new laptop using my some of tax refund to pay for it. Does not look like I will be buying one till Q3/Q4 then.
 
I'm in a bit of a dilemma and this delay only makes it worse.

I've already promised my Q9550/mobo/ram to a nephew as a college grad present, so I'm out my desktop in May. I currently work near a MicroCenter, but I do not live near it (commuting an hour+ each way to work). My contract is up end of March and after that it will be week-by-week. MicroCenter purchase is also more "under the radar" with fewer inquiries from spousal unit, although she's been running a i2400 for awhile so this is not that big of a deal.

Option 1) MicroCenter $50 off mobo with i2600k, with Asus P8Z68 pro gen3 is $474 after tax, save about $100 off newegg
Option 2) MicroCenter $100 off mobo with FX8120, FX8120 and Asus Sabertooth is $312 after tax, save about $60 off newegg
Option 3) Keep waiting, crossing my fingers that I can still do MicroCenter in late June.

Just go with option 1 right now. You won't be disappointed.


Hm, the better graphics might make it worth the wait if it'll be noticable, especially on the ULV versions. I'll be using the integrated ones since I'll be getting something around a 11-12" and I do like being able to plays games casually.

The battery and performance are nice but not worth waiting for (unless I can't find a deal, heh).

I really really want a 12-13" laptop with a high res display, 1080p would be nice, and SSD, and IGP graphics. I dont want anything more than that as I wont be playing games on it, and I'd rather save the power. I do like the idea of more cpu performance in the same power envelope though. My laptop priorities are 1) high res screen, 2) fast cpu, 3) light weight/small. Anything these days can have 8+GB of ram and an SSD so that's nice too. I am also excited to see that AMD is going to be getting serious in the mobile space too.
 
Im quite alright with that, gives us college students more time to save. plus my Q6600 is strong as a motha***** lol

Actually, after some thinking about it I agree, my Q6600 is still a decent machine. I was going to get an SSD when I built my IB system, but the delay means I can buy the SSD now, and be back to where I started cash wise when IB comes out.
 
Kind of blows if this affects desktop CPU's also, but I'm still waiting for IB before upgrading. Its actually not such a bad thing now that I think about it. I can certainly make due with what i've got now and the delay means more opportunities in the GPU market, be it for price drops or whole new products as well as a slight possibility of lower SSD prices. My next build is going to be all new except for possibly my PSU and case.
 
Personally speaking, with SB being as potent as it is. I see no real benefit for myself or others to upgrade until 8 or 10 Intel core cpu's come out for the consumer market. In less of course you are already due for an upgrade as where IB would be the clear choice.

I normally do not like going two years to two and a half years, maybe even three years between upgrades but I do know this. It's going to take a hell of a lot more than just a die shrink or 2 additional cores to get me to spend my money.

AMD could go die in a ditch for all I care. They did it to themselves. If they do not want to take this rare gift and opportunity they have as a company to make awesome cpu's, no, I mean, REALLY make awesome cpu's, then they don't deserve to be in business and they deserve to lose their leadership and slowly go out of business. Which is exactly what is happening.

If that means less Intel CPU comes out, that just means, less people will upgrade their cpu's. Consumers can play that game too.
 
This guy nailed it over four years ago:

http://hallicino.hubpages.com/hub/How_AMDs_Failures_Are_Triggering_An_Intel_Monopoly

AMD's emasculation has created a high end CPU market where the sole player can do anything they want, anytime they want, at any price point they want. It's an effective monopoly in every way. And its us, the high end enthusiasts who are going to take it in rectum. Thanks for nothing AMD.

Given the performance of the $320 i7-2600K and the $220 i5-2500K, I don't see anyone taking it anywhere. If you have some crazy need for a 3770K or something you are going to pay for it, but it isn't like the $300 CPU price range is lacking in any way. This is nothing like the Pentium 3 days, when you were $500+ for anything decent.
 
Given the performance of the $320 i7-2600K and the $220 i5-2500K, I don't see anyone taking it anywhere. If you have some crazy need for a 3770K or something you are going to pay for it, but it isn't like the $300 CPU price range is lacking in any way. This is nothing like the Pentium 3 days, when you were $500+ for anything decent.

Sure, as is evident in both our sigs, we have 2600Ks and they're phenomenal. But that doesn't mean that they should be the standard bearers forever more. AMD's Bull-Dozer was just that, full of Bull and Dozing on the shelves. If it had been a really competitive CPU, Intel might not be so laissez-faire about pushing IB down the calendar. IB slides, then IB-E, then Haswell, and soon we're a year or even two behind where we should be in processor progress. I was hoping for an IB-E system by the end of this year because I really want the 22nm trigate with the 8 SIMM slots, and now I'm willing to bet that it will likely be early summer 2013 before there's an IB on LGA2011. That sucks, and I am placing the blame squarely on AMD's pathetic high end copout. :mad:
 
I still fucking hate this. Was going to get new parts in April in time of my college's BYOC. But nooooo... ugh...
 
Just go with option 1 right now. You won't be disappointed...

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll try to track down when that current MC deal ends and nab the 2600k/mobo combo then.
 
Personally speaking, with SB being as potent as it is. I see no real benefit for myself or others to upgrade until 8 or 10 Intel core cpu's come out for the consumer market. In less of course you are already due for an upgrade as where IB would be the clear choice.

I normally do not like going two years to two and a half years, maybe even three years between upgrades but I do know this. It's going to take a hell of a lot more than just a die shrink or 2 additional cores to get me to spend my money.

AMD could go die in a ditch for all I care. They did it to themselves. If they do not want to take this rare gift and opportunity they have as a company to make awesome cpu's, no, I mean, REALLY make awesome cpu's, then they don't deserve to be in business and they deserve to lose their leadership and slowly go out of business. Which is exactly what is happening.

If that means less Intel CPU comes out, that just means, less people will upgrade their cpu's. Consumers can play that game too.

It's not a gift at all, Intel can release the CPU's tomorrow if they wanted to. They've (AMD) failed to make really awesome CPU's for several years now, it's not going to suddenly happen in a matter of a few months.
 
Ah that's too bad.Not really a big deal except for those who like too upgrade every year.
 
So the delay is only for mobile processors, and it's only two months. No big deal.
 
Back
Top