I've returned to the [H]ord

rottweiler

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm sorry I ever left. I notice that my last point submitted was 12-09-2005. It's been way too long.

I just built a new computer, a [email protected]. It doesn't seem to want to go much faster without enough voltage to put it over 70°C.

I was wondering about the best settings for the console client. I am running vista 64. First, is there any reason to get the 6.01 beta 2 client? I installed the 5.04 client (four times to take advantage of the quad). During the config I said yes to the >5MB work assignments and the -advmethods flag. Was that correct to get the best results?

I also have this running on my wife's [email protected]. Although I'm only running those at 75% cpu usage. She got two different WUs, a Double Gromacs B (3907) and a Gromacs (2452). The Gromacs seems to be taking forever, about 1hr. 10min. per percent for her. I got 2 of them on my Q6600 as well, and they do seem to take longer, but only 17min per percent running at 75%. Are these Gromacs that bad? If so, why arn't they worth more points?

Anyway, I am happy to be back and can't wait to start jumping up the list again.

The best results are by far SMP clients on dual core and quad core.....this breaks down into a few different groups.

Dual Core:
Single SMP In Linux > Single SMP in Linux Virtual Machine > Single SMP in Windows

Quad Core:
Dual SMP Linux VMs > Dual Windows SMP > Single Windows SMP

granted, those will hit your computer harder, since the SMP client is less happy with giving up spare CPU cycles. The pts difference is huge though. I'm running ~ 4200 PPD on my Q6600 @ 3.1, as opposed to roughly 1000 PPD (vary based on WUs) using 4 standard clients.

Anyhow, welcome back to the [H]orde.....we like new blood :D

Welcome back!

You might want to think about running the SMP client rather than the standard... you'll see much higher production... I don't really know enough about it yet to really give any advice, but I'm sure someone who does will be along shortly...

Again, glad to have you back!!

Wow.... I type way too slow...

Thanks for the quick replies. Can I install the SMP client over the standard? Meaning will I lose all my existing work when I install the SMP client? It wouldn't be too bad since I haven't submitted anything yet, but 2 cores on my Q6600 are at 50% already.

Thanks.

Might as well leave them running, and just install the SMP when it's done....on Windows it's a seperate client right now, so i don't think you can simply install over it

Installing SMP client wont cause problems for regular clients.

Just few advices:
Dont install F@H to Program Files
turn off UAC before installing SMP client (turn it on after install)
leave your PC working 24/7

Good luck:)

Thanks for the tips. Anything wrong with leaving UAC off? That's the first thing I did after installing Vista. Annoying as hell.

Oh, and should I still use the -local flag? I would assume there's no reason to with the SMP client.

i wanted to go smp my self, but i dislike haveing to log on to my PC when im the only user, did they fix it so that you can run the SMP client without have to have a seprate passworded admin account set up, or is there a work around i dont know about?

i wanted to go smp my self, but i dislike haveing to log on to my PC when im the only user, did they fix it so that you can run the SMP client without have to have a seprate passworded admin account set up, or is there a work around i dont know about?

There is a guide around to running SMP client as a service....should be able to find it with the search function back up :D

rottweiler said:
Thanks for the tips. Anything wrong with leaving UAC off? That's the first thing I did after installing Vista. Annoying as hell.

I leave UAC off on my personal accounts, so no there's nothing wrong with it.

It seems like a fair number of old folders have returned recently after an hiatus. Welcome back!!

For Win XP get Power Toys Tweak UI and under the login preferences you can have the computer auto login.

I think they all heard the cry of war and have come back to pickup arms and help us to fight off MPC!
Possibly, except that I never really considered MPC a major threat unless you consider them to be a threat for the #1 PPD slot. Realistically speaking, no team currently in the top 10 is a threat. I don't have a crystal ball to state the status quo will be the same in a few years from now, but until then there isn't anything to worry about. Disclaimer: not advocating complacency here.

Possibly, except that I never really considered MPC a major threat unless you consider them to be a threat for the #1 PPD slot. Realistically speaking, no team currently in the top 10 is a threat. I don't have a crystal ball to state the status quo will be the same in a few years from now, but until then there isn't anything to worry about. Disclaimer: not advocating complacency here.

I agree, but its nice to have some competition even if it is just over PPD.

hmmm....

Been a while hasn't it? :)
Welcome back.

Welcome back :cool:

Those'll both be good folders for you; I don't have much (good) experience with the WinSMP client, but if you're wanting to rise in the rankings, it's the best way.

Still, a WU is a WU; it's all good number crunching :)

I like Vista. Especially because it has better networking features.

I have 3 Vista machines running the SMP.

I turned UAC back on after I was done with the SMP install.

Welcome back!

Nice to have you folding again!

Welcome back Rottweiler!

Good to get back in the fold again huh. I just came back a few days ago too and received the same warm welcome you did. This is a great bunch!

GG

Those'll both be good folders for you; I don't have much (good) experience with the WinSMP client, but if you're wanting to rise in the rankings, it's the best way.

Incorrect. Linux SMP is the best way to rise in the ranks. :p

Thanks again everyone for the welcome.

The SMP client does seem to do a lot better, but I'm nowhere near 4000 PPD. FahMon has it at 2705.77 PPD. Maybe my first WU was a slow one. It's a SMP Gromacs (2653) and takes about 10min per %. I also just added my 1.7GHz Pentium M laptop running at 95% and today will add the wifes laptop (1.7GHz Athlon 64 X2) running at 75%. I remember how addicting this was before and I'm sure I'll at least get some friends to fold for me. I don't yet have the space to buy spare computers just for folding.

To get ~4kPpD, you'll need to run 2 SMP clients, likely in a VMware setup. There are quite a few howtos on the forum if you want to set such a beast up :)

Interesting. If I set up the VMs would that affect how my computer currently works? Meaning would I have to work out of one of the VMs? I'll check out the howtos, but it seems like a little much for my main machine.

Thanks again everyone for the welcome.

The SMP client does seem to do a lot better, but I'm nowhere near 4000 PPD. FahMon has it at 2705.77 PPD. Maybe my first WU was a slow one. It's a SMP Gromacs (2653) and takes about 10min per %. I also just added my 1.7GHz Pentium M laptop running at 95% and today will add the wifes laptop (1.7GHz Athlon 64 X2) running at 75%. I remember how addicting this was before and I'm sure I'll at least get some friends to fold for me. I don't yet have the space to buy spare computers just for folding.

why are these at 95/75% go power?

also what is UAC?

Well, congrats on coming back! There's plenty of good comments here already so I'll just leave you with those for now. :)

Welcome back.

The SMP client needs a password for the mpiexec.exe service to run.

How to auto-login with a password.............

Setup your account with a password.
Start -> Run -> control userpasswords2
Make sure its pointing at you user name and untick the box "User must enter a .........."
Click Ok and add your password in the next box.
Click ok and you should auto-login with your user name and password when you reboot so you can run the SMP client.
Works with both XP & Vista.

Luck .............. :D

Interesting. If I set up the VMs would that affect how my computer currently works? Meaning would I have to work out of one of the VMs? I'll check out the howtos, but it seems like a little much for my main machine.
If you don't want to configure VMs and still wish to be more productive, try running 2 Windows clients instead. You won't see a huge jump in PPD but it could be better than what you're seeing now. There's no need to go through the whole installation process again. Make a copy of the F@H folder but omit the 'work' folder. Then in the 'client.cfg' file change the 'machineied' value to 2. You should be good to go. Running two Windows clients simultaneously will also take up additional resources but not as much as multiple VMs, that's for sure. If it's your main machine it will be better for you other applications since more resources will be appropriated to them.

Back