computer specs:

AMD FX-62 @ 2.8
4 x 1GB crucial ballistix tracer
2 x bfg 8800 gts oc2 640mb
wd raptor 74gb
2 x seagate 750gb sata
windows xp pro sp2
silverstone 750w psu

I have two 8800 GTS 640MB cards in SLi, a while ago about 3 weeks to be exact I started noticing heavy artifacting in all my games (COD4, WoW, Lost Planet, and GRAW) so I started off with the basics, reinstall drivers, check memory, try each card individually, 2 different power supplies all to no avail all my cards were still screwing up. So I called BFG tech support and they told me that the cards were defective and that they will set up an RMA number for each card. *sent me the RMA emails knowing i was in canada* I receive their RMA email with the UPS account # and shipping address and instructions. Yesterday I make my way to the UPS depot and as per BFG's email have UPS package the cards and insure them for their retail value. Lady at the counter proceeds to do this and gives me a total of $125 CAD. We delibarate for a few minutes turns out the UPS # is only for the US. So today I call back to BFG and after waiting on hold for 25 minutes the conversation goes like this:

J: Hello this is BFG what's your phone number?
me: 905-xxx-xxxx
J: Ok whats the issue?

*explained the issue*

J: well sorry we only pay shipping for US customers
me: since when? i've had cross shipping before paid for by bfg
J: hmmm well nope can't help you .. your going to have to pay shipping to us if you want it fixed
me: well it costs $125 to send the cards to you will you reimburse me?
J: no it costs us $125 to send it back to you .. so no we wont
me: wow your RMA has defenatly slipped to XFX and eVGA
J: well they don't offer lifetime warranty
me: umm actually they both do check their websites
me: can i speak to a manager?
J: *sigh* ill see if there is anyone
me: ok thank you
J: where did you buy these cards and how long ago?
me: *give store name and time*
J: so ya i've talked to my manager and since your ... ummm .. somewhere in Canada your going to have to send it to us snail mail .. we'll send you out a label
me: how long will it take to get the label
J: about 3 weeks
me: what are you serious? and how long to get the card back?
J: well since your somewhere in canada probably about another 4 weeks once we receive it
me: so about 8 weeks in total?
J: yea if the mail isnt slow
me: well what am i supposed to do with out a video card ... i cant run my system like that
J: *no reply*
me: can i speak to the manager?
J: he's busy with some other stuff...
me: whats his extension? can i leave him a msg?
J: you can call back and ask for him
me: so you cant get him on the phone?
J: no

what kind of crap is that? 8 weeks via snail mail with no insurance? and why did the managers all of a sudden become unavailable if he was talking to him? very very very poor on BFG's part .. especially to a repeat customer ..

i've owned:
2 x bfg 6600gt
1 x bfg 6800gt
3 x bfg 7800gt
1 x bfg 7950gx2
2 x bfg 7900gt
2 x bfg 8800gts 640
1 x bfg 8800 ultra

very disappointed with them right now ... is there anyone here that has any ideas how i can get this resolved?

I was frustrated with BFG tech support recently too, although not as bad. I did the e-mail tech support and they couldn't find the problem, so they told me to call and get an RMA. I called, waited 20 minutes (and the hold music is such painfully low quality) before talking to someone who then put me back on hold and ~5 minutes later I was disconnected - wtf? I called back, waited another 20 minutes, and then got this real nice lady who had the RMA all set up within 5 minutes...

So my suggestion would be to call again and hope you get a different person :D

Wow. Just... wow. That has got to suck the biggest b@lls of all time. :eek:

I'm sorry to here you're having such a rough time with BFGTech.

Hopefully the BFG representative will post a helpful response.

I've used BFG products before and have had great luck with their service and cards (but then again I live in the US).

I've been hearing a lot of bad things about BFG's service lately. Not just on the [H]ard forum either, but from other people as well.

...and you're right about XFX and EVGA, they do have a lifetime warranty. The BFG service rep must have just been trying to pass the buck...

The person who was "helping" you, and I do put those in quotations, must be fired, that is totally unacceptable.

Use the power of the [H]......

PM Kyle a link to this post and he will help you out. I have seen it done in the past and he has offered his assistance many times.

Next time stay away from BFG. I had some tech support issues with them also and will never go back. They rendered my system in-op by following their instructions.

This is why Im slowly slipping away from BFG. I had kyle help me get my 8800GTX back.

I will let someone know to help you out.

Wow, that's terrible. I'd definitely call back hoping to get someone else. Suddenly, I'm glad I stuck with my eVGA over BFG... A black PCB isn't worth the hassle lol.

Last time I bought a BFG card the box didn't have a 8600GT in it, it had a dead baby. BFG kills babies.

From 'bfgtech.com/warranty.aspx':
"BFG Technologies reserves the right to inspect and verify the defectiveness of any product returned. Please allow 48 hrs processing time once item has been received by BFG, and 3-5 days for shipping of the replacement product (shipped ground).

* Product is protected for the product’s lifetime in the United States and Canada, and 10 years from the date of purchase in all countries outside the US and Canada, against defects in material and workmanship."

----------------------------

The first paragraph is ambiguous regarding shipping locations, never specifying USA or Canada. Yet the second paragraph does, 'Product is protected for the product’s lifetime in the United States and Canada'. The terms of this supposed warranty, specifically the 48 hrs processing time and 3-5 days ground shipping, should be valid in the United States and Canada. I believe that is the only logical conclusion one could gather from such poorly constructed warranty terms.
Note: I don't see any info for more specific warranty terms. Maybe they expect you to call or email tech support before buying the product? Suddenly mxp doesn't sound so biased when he claims "since when? i've had cross shipping before paid for by bfg." If you had proof of that, I believe you would get what you want.

Looking at the back of a box for the BFG 8800GT OC2 (purchased 11/16/07) from newegg.com, I see that you get toll free tech support in the US and Canada. Below, I see "Subject to the provisions available at www.bfgtech.com, product is protected for the product's lifetime in the United States, and 10 years from the date of purchase in the European Union, against defects in material and workmanship." Canada isn't mentioned. Oh well, if this story is true, post it on the forums at bfgtech.com. Why not? ;)

If you speak French, you might be able to trick them into thinking you are in the European Union. Good night.

fucking americans :D ...that sucks man. specially since its utter crap...clearly shit customer service. anyone who has a clue knows we canucks make up a huge portion of their earnings. I would have hoped someone who valued their company image and knows wtf the words customer service truly entails would have done everything to make you happy

i didnt know they had forums at bfgtech .. i will def post this there .. i've spent over 3000 in video cards from them and thats an understatement ... this is bottom of the barrel treatment

From 'bfgtech.com/warranty.aspx':
"BFG Technologies reserves the right to inspect and verify the defectiveness of any product returned. Please allow 48 hrs processing time once item has been received by BFG, and 3-5 days for shipping of the replacement product (shipped ground).

* Product is protected for the product’s lifetime in the United States and Canada, and 10 years from the date of purchase in all countries outside the US and Canada, against defects in material and workmanship."

----------------------------

The first paragraph is ambiguous regarding shipping locations, never specifying USA or Canada. Yet the second paragraph does, 'Product is protected for the product’s lifetime in the United States and Canada'. The terms of this supposed warranty, specifically the 48 hrs processing time and 3-5 days ground shipping, should be valid in the United States and Canada. I believe that is the only logical conclusion one could gather from such poorly constructed warranty terms.
Note: I don't see any info for more specific warranty terms. Maybe they expect you to call or email tech support before buying the product? Suddenly mxp doesn't sound so biased when he claims "since when? i've had cross shipping before paid for by bfg." If you had proof of that, I believe you would get what you want.

Looking at the back of a box for the BFG 8800GT OC2 (purchased 11/16/07) from newegg.com, I see that you get toll free tech support in the US and Canada. Below, I see "Subject to the provisions available at www.bfgtech.com, product is protected for the product's lifetime in the United States, and 10 years from the date of purchase in the European Union, against defects in material and workmanship." Canada isn't mentioned. Oh well, if this story is true, post it on the forums at bfgtech.com. Why not? ;)

If you speak French, you might be able to trick them into thinking you are in the European Union. Good night.

Sometimes I think it would be much better if these companies offered 3-5 year warranty with exceptional service as opposed to lifetime with the stipulation of "jump through hoops".

Sometimes I think it would be much better if these companies offered 3-5 year warranty with exceptional service as opposed to lifetime with the stipulation of "jump through hoops".
I know. The max I ever keep a video card is 2 years anyway, so they might as well bend over backwards during that 2 years for me! I think the lifetime thing is just a marketing gimmick.

ok here goes my rant ...

computer specs:

AMD FX-62 @ 2.8
4 x 1GB crucial ballistix tracer
2 x bfg 8800 gts oc2 640mb
wd raptor 74gb
2 x seagate 750gb sata
windows xp pro sp2
silverstone 750w psu

I have two 8800 GTS 640MB cards in SLi, a while ago about 3 weeks to be exact I started noticing heavy artifacting in all my games (COD4, WoW, Lost Planet, and GRAW) so I started off with the basics, reinstall drivers, check memory, try each card individually, 2 different power supplies all to no avail all my cards were still screwing up. So I called BFG tech support and they told me that the cards were defective and that they will set up an RMA number for each card. *sent me the RMA emails knowing i was in canada* I receive their RMA email with the UPS account # and shipping address and instructions. Yesterday I make my way to the UPS depot and as per BFG's email have UPS package the cards and insure them for their retail value. Lady at the counter proceeds to do this and gives me a total of $125 CAD. We delibarate for a few minutes turns out the UPS # is only for the US. So today I call back to BFG and after waiting on hold for 25 minutes the conversation goes like this:

J: Hello this is BFG what's your phone number?
me: 905-xxx-xxxx
J: Ok whats the issue?

*explained the issue*

J: well sorry we only pay shipping for US customers
me: since when? i've had cross shipping before paid for by bfg
J: hmmm well nope can't help you .. your going to have to pay shipping to us if you want it fixed
me: well it costs $125 to send the cards to you will you reimburse me?
J: no it costs us $125 to send it back to you .. so no we wont
me: wow your RMA has defenatly slipped to XFX and eVGA
J: well they don't offer lifetime warranty
me: umm actually they both do check their websites
me: can i speak to a manager?
J: *sigh* ill see if there is anyone
me: ok thank you
J: where did you buy these cards and how long ago?
me: *give store name and time*
J: so ya i've talked to my manager and since your ... ummm .. somewhere in Canada your going to have to send it to us snail mail .. we'll send you out a label
me: how long will it take to get the label
J: about 3 weeks
me: what are you serious? and how long to get the card back?
J: well since your somewhere in canada probably about another 4 weeks once we receive it
me: so about 8 weeks in total?
J: yea if the mail isnt slow
me: well what am i supposed to do with out a video card ... i cant run my system like that
J: *no reply*
me: can i speak to the manager?
J: he's busy with some other stuff...
me: whats his extension? can i leave him a msg?
J: you can call back and ask for him
me: so you cant get him on the phone?
J: no

what kind of crap is that? 8 weeks via snail mail with no insurance? and why did the managers all of a sudden become unavailable if he was talking to him? very very very poor on BFG's part .. especially to a repeat customer ..

i've owned:
2 x bfg 6600gt
1 x bfg 6800gt
3 x bfg 7800gt
1 x bfg 7950gx2
2 x bfg 7900gt
2 x bfg 8800gts 640
1 x bfg 8800 ultra

very disappointed with them right now ... is there anyone here that has any ideas how i can get this resolved?

I can tell you live in the GTA, markham?

The fact that BFG has a phone number alone makes them a billion times better than Gecube. Not to mention that they don't respond to emails.

If it makes you feel better, I was just debating between getting the BFG and XFX G92 8800 GTS from newegg and looking for something to tip the balance since they were basically the same price. I decided to go with the XFX after reading this. So now you can tell the next customer service person you talk to that this fiasco has already cost them at least $300 in sales. :p

Jeff Kozlowski is now handling this for me guys .. thank you very much for your help .. ill post updates here as i have them ..

plz post updates, i'm curious! it doesnt cost much at all to send stuff to the US and back. a tad more, but should be able to do it for a reasonable cost. i will be staying away from BFG for sure! i've got two evga cards and i did have to rma one of them (i'm in ontario too) and there was no trouble at all. i explained it over the phone (artifacting) and i had an rma ticket emailed to me in about 20 minutes. the rma took a couple weeks, but thats to be expected. certianly didnt take 8 weeks!

lazy and uncaring customer support representatives and workers suck! i get it all the time, even at the grocery store. just makes me wanna go on a bitch-slapping frenzy.

This is the same issue with EVGA and Canadian customers. They only deal with UPS and therefore anybody who is not in the U.S. are screwed and therefore we should patentely not even consider the lifetime warranty etc. is even viable or worth anything.

THE SNAIL MAIL EXCUSE THE CS REP/MANAGER GAVE IS TOTAL BULL____, regular airmail only takes a week or less between the U.S. and Canada via USPS.

If they sent it via USPS, even registered mail, it would only cost about $25 (+ $5 insurance) to ship the cards or less instead of $125 that private couriers like UPS charge in addition to hidden/unknown/surprise private brokerage fees that could cost more then 100% of the card's actual value. Just another American company with absolutely no experience or understanding of their customers outside of the U.S. Here's an example of a good American company that treats their non-U.S. customers well - Vantec. I had one of their HDD 5 1/4 bay HDD cooling enclosures die on me and the packaging is about the same size as a videocard. I sent it down to Vantec via Canada Post insured for only $11 which they reimbursed, it was delivered to Vantec USA in California via USPS. They sent it back to me via USPS Global Express free of charge. The parcel was tracked both ways.

Why can't American companies realize that when dealing with international customers they have to use the regular mail and YES, USPS does offer insurance/tracking/airmail and all the other services normally associated with private couriers like UPS minus all the mess and private companies (cutoms brokerage firms) tacking on their own fees and taking their own cut leading to egregious prices. Additionally using national mail carriers like USPS means that the package is processed through customs by the corresponding country's own national customs/border services and therefore the cost is not passed onto the vendor/consumer...in some cases it may even be faster.

I am personally quite sick of American companies and sellers who don't know the slightest thing (and would rather say they are unavailable or lazy rather than learn) about dealing with their international customers. Awhile back I bought a $5 Hotwheels car from a seller on Ebay. After hearing nothing from them for 2 weeks I finally get an e-mail from her saying that: "sorry I'm not going to fill out forms". What she was referring to was a customs form where all she had to do was write on the description line: "Toy Car" and in the value box: "$5". Geez! I bet the BFG guys are just as baffled.

If you are going to sell your products in other countries and claim lifttime warranties on the packaging, learn to deal with those customers properly and back-up your warranty claim without extra hidden hoops like customers paying $125 to ship their items to you via private couriers like UPS.

BFG was okay for me back in the 6800 days. Seems theyre all slipping :(

This is one of the reasons I bought Ati for the past couple of years. Well, past couple of years is really the years before I bought my x800xt because they naturally have/had? their service center in Canada. I haven't bought a new card since, so I don't know what I'll do. Unless ati becomes competitive again.

BFG was okay for me back in the 6800 days. Seems theyre all slipping :(

Yeah, same here. They were cool back then, but now they are overpriced and far overrated. :(

Like the BFG9000 in Doom 3, if you use (charge) it too much, it turns into the gun that fires the ammos that makes the peoples fall down! :D

Actually it just explodes and kills the user. :eek:

So if I OC my 7900GT too much then... *BOOM*

Ya I liked my sexy BFG 6800GT back in the day. Even had a hasslefree RMA on that sucker. But I've been an evga/xfx man since.

This is the same issue with EVGA and Canadian customers. They only deal with UPS and therefore anybody who is not in the U.S. are screwed and therefore we should patentely not even consider the lifetime warranty etc. is even viable or worth anything.

THE SNAIL MAIL EXCUSE THE CS REP/MANAGER GAVE IS TOTAL BULL____, regular airmail only takes a week or less between the U.S. and Canada via USPS.

If they sent it via USPS, even registered mail, it would only cost about $25 (+ $5 insurance) to ship the cards or less instead of $125 that private couriers like UPS charge in addition to hidden/unknown/surprise private brokerage fees that could cost more then 100% of the card's actual value. Just another American company with absolutely no experience or understanding of their customers outside of the U.S. Here's an example of a good American company that treats their non-U.S. customers well - Vantec. I had one of their HDD 5 1/4 bay HDD cooling enclosures die on me and the packaging is about the same size as a videocard. I sent it down to Vantec via Canada Post insured for only $11 which they reimbursed, it was delivered to Vantec USA in California via USPS. They sent it back to me via USPS Global Express free of charge. The parcel was tracked both ways.

Why can't American companies realize that when dealing with international customers they have to use the regular mail and YES, USPS does offer insurance/tracking/airmail and all the other services normally associated with private couriers like UPS minus all the mess and private companies (cutoms brokerage firms) tacking on their own fees and taking their own cut leading to egregious prices. Additionally using national mail carriers like USPS means that the package is processed through customs by the corresponding country's own national customs/border services and therefore the cost is not passed onto the vendor/consumer...in some cases it may even be faster.

I am personally quite sick of American companies and sellers who don't know the slightest thing (and would rather say they are unavailable or lazy rather than learn) about dealing with their international customers. Awhile back I bought a $5 Hotwheels car from a seller on Ebay. After hearing nothing from them for 2 weeks I finally get an e-mail from her saying that: "sorry I'm not going to fill out forms". What she was referring to was a customs form where all she had to do was write on the description line: "Toy Car" and in the value box: "$5". Geez! I bet the BFG guys are just as baffled.

If you are going to sell your products in other countries and claim lifttime warranties on the packaging, learn to deal with those customers properly and back-up your warranty claim without extra hidden hoops like customers paying $125 to ship their items to you via private couriers like UPS.

EVGA does not force customers to ship via UPS. You can send it to EVGA in any method you like as long as it has the RMA# and customs forms that were included in the email. When EVGA sends out packages to Canadian customers they send it via Fedex International. The charges vary on how far you live, but they are not 125 dollars.

* EVGA will cover all return shipping back to the customer for the RMA replacement with free ground shipping through UPS in the United States and free FedEX Ground shipping to Canadian Customers.*

*Shipping into Canada is sent through FedEX Ground as Standard shipping. All RMA replacements to Canada will state “Warranty Replacement” on the package to Canada to assist in avoiding any Brokerage Fee’s through Canadian customs. EVGA is NOT responsible for any fees charged by the Canadian government or brokers due to brokerage fees.

As for the OP, i am very sorry to hear that... but perhaps there is some way that guy can get this all sorted out.

EVGA does not force customers to ship via UPS. You can send it to EVGA in any method you like as long as it has the RMA# and customs forms that were included in the email. When EVGA sends out packages to Canadian customers they send it via Fedex International. The charges vary on how far you live, but they are not 125 dollars.

As for the OP, i am very sorry to hear that... but perhaps there is some way that guy can get this all sorted out.

* EVGA will cover all return shipping back to the customer for the RMA replacement with free ground shipping through UPS in the United States and free FedEX Ground shipping to Canadian Customers.*

*Shipping into Canada is sent through FedEX Ground as Standard shipping. All RMA replacements to Canada will state “Warranty Replacement” on the package to Canada to assist in avoiding any Brokerage Fee’s through Canadian customs. EVGA is NOT responsible for any fees charged by the Canadian government or brokers due to brokerage fees.

I appreciate that you are a EVGA rep and I thank you for commenting on this issue and I understand your position. However,

Can you explain why EVGA insists on return shipping via Fedex? Fedex charges are often just as much as UPS and private brokerage fees will likely be charged as they are almost guaranteed with the ground services. EVGA via this statement are simply avoiding liability for brokerage fees (of course they have full rights to do that) that in my experience and I am sure many other Canadians can attest to being quite high whether you go through UPS or Fedex regardless of any "Warranty Return" labels. At least in my experience, getting product returns, recalls, RMA, warranty, etc. items through regular mail (IE: USPS) has a much better track record of not levying any additional taxes or customs duties on the package.

If Evga has a certain contract with Fedex perhaps this makes sense but I've also heard that they use Fedex because it's the only option with tracking when this is also inaccurate as many USPS services also provide detailed tracking for the package all the way until it reaches it's destination. Sometimes you will have to look-up the tracking number from Canada Post but the two postal systems actually share and coordinate their tracking numbers and registered mail requires signatures (and is still cheaper than the couriers) When I ship to the US through Canada Post I am given a USPS tracking number!

Almost all of my friends and aquaintences that I can think of that do buy/sell over the internet (or even on TV infomercials) or have had items sent in for returns or warranties over the past decade have had poor experiences with couriers. It is almost universal (and a major theme on Canadian websites and forums) unless you ship via the higher priced options that brokerage fees will be charged and that the shipping cost will be nominally more expensive than via domestic mail carriers. Other companies do ship via regular mail. I have recieved RMAs from Vantec, DFI, Logitech, Altec Lansing, etc. that were sent via USPS. The point I am trying to make is that private carriers are known to charge these brokerage fees which can be quite excessive, often 50-100% the value of the actual item. I have not seen any evidence that marking these packages with "warranty return" will somehow make these private brokerage firms waive the brokerage fee which is the work they do to process the package through customs as these companies are contracted to make a profit for the courier. To rub salt in the wound, these charges are often unlisted or unadvertised and the companies make it very difficult to find a fee schedule. Fedex does not even post theirs and you must contact them to find one.

Something that is $120 can have a $95 brokerage fee + disbursment fee + additional charges levied upon it as was in my experience with UPS (notorious for having the highest fees). A family member returned a broken appliance she bought on an infomercial for warranty and when it came back via Fedex, the brokerage fee + other fees totaled $35 for what was a $90 item. To make matters worse, the reciever cannot dispute this fee and must accept the package and pay the fee or it is simply returned to the UPS depot where it may be destroyed or resold at their discretion (as they described to me when I protested). It is the same with Fedex unless the SHIPPER pays both the transportation AND return charges. Canadian customs however is a crown institution and is not profit-seeking and tax-payer funded and at least in my experience and those of friends and family, product returns or warranty items marked as such have not had any customs duties or taxes added to them.

The last fee schedule that I can find for Fedex was in 2004 (I am sure it has inflated substantially by now) and then, an item of $200 in value had a brokerage charge of $33.75 + 2.5% disbursement fee + unlisted collections fee (they mail you the invoice, UPS charges up front or no package). That's basically $50 or 25% of a $200 value item not including shipping/taxes/duties.

With USPS, "For all casual and commercial items valued under 1,200 Canadian dollars, Canada Post will collect the assessed duties and excise taxes and a handling fee of 5 Canadian dollars from the addressee." That's it! No more hidden charges. Often, they will not even bother with this handling fee if the item is marked a warranty or product return or the value is not stated as commercial and they will simply deliver it to your doorstep without a single charge or tax.

wow. being in Canada myself I think I'm going to pass on all BFG cards from now on. I've spent my fair share of video cards this past year and just reading this will make me buy evga or xfx cards from now on

Back