I've got the upgrade bug, need help & advice.

PrometheuSBoxeR

Limp Gawd
Dear readers,

I find myself using my computer more and more as of lately. It's something I enjoy and where I spend the majority of my free time (this is true for the past 15 years of my life). With that being said, it's one of the few places I like to indulge and treat myself. I consider it money well spent.
I've been a competitive gamer for the majority of my life. If I'm not at my computer gaming, I'm usually dabbling in Photoshop, surfing, or streaming. I also do a bit of Excel modeling for work and pleasure.

I am torn between throwing money at my existing computer, selling it and building new, or just driving it into the ground another year or two and then decide. I want to make a good financial/business decision, but at the same be able to spend money on myself on the things I love.

Here is my current specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Quad-Core Processor 3.3 GHz 6 MB Cache LGA 1155
CPU Heatsink/Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V Gen 3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0
Memory: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
HDD1: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD (Operating System & Software)
HDD2: Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Applications)
HDD3: Seagate 1TB (Storage/Media)
Video Card: ASUS STRIX GTX970
Case: Corsair Carbide Series Black 500R Mid Tower
Power Supply: CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W 80 PLUS GOLD Modular
Optical: Asus 24x DVD-RW DRW-24B1ST
Monitor: (2) QNIX QX2710 Evolution ll LED 2560x1440 QHD PLS DVI-D

With all that being said, if you were me - what would you do? I will note, that I would like to pick up a third monitor in the near future.

Thanks in advance.

Looks like you already got a video card recently.

I would say it depends on exactly how eager you are vs your desire to make the tactically best decision.

At this point your options are Skylake which is coming in a couple of months and IMO should be the quickest option you consider. Further out you may consider waiting for Skylake-E to get 6/8 cores which may launch in Q3/Q4 2016. If you do decide to hang on for more than the year and change for Skylake-E then I'd recommend looking at 2H 2017 for when we may see the post Cannonlake tock. As the next new architecture will be based on a mature 10nm process it has been speculated that Intel may choose to move beyond silicon with new materials to have experience for the shrink to 7nm when they may not have a choice in the matter.

I have to concur with Ultima99: If you can wait, wait for Skylake.

Back