ITX Mobo with HDMI Input?

Hey,

Looking for an ITX motherboard with HDMI in (Z170 or Z270 if possible). Used to have an older Asrock (maybe z87 or z97) ATX that had it, but can't seem to find anything ITX in recent mobos with the feature.

I want to be able to plug my Nintendo Switch into the back of my PC, and I remember being able to keyboard shortcut swap out on the old mobo I had.

My receiver only has 2 HDMI inputs, so I need something like this to make it work.

If anyone can recommend a mobo that has this feature (or an alternative lag free input method) would be great.

Cheers

I am struggling to think of any motherboard with a HDMI input, even a passthrough.

Would something like a HDMI capture card (internal or external) be a tenable alternative? You wouldn't have to get anything too good (e.g, expensive), since the Switch generally doesn't go further than 1080p60, and usually hangs around 720p30.

The Switch can output video over HDMI and audio over its headphone jack at the same time, which opens up using a DVI input on your monitor (if applicable) while using the analog audio output on the switch for some other hookup.

I've thought about a HDMI capture card, infact I have one in my other machine, I may just have to use that.

I was hoping to get everything I need in one case, so I can just use the one monitor, instead of having to use 2.

I'll leave the line open, because I'd like to know, even older boards that have it, or which capture card is best for straight HDMI to USB.

HDMI to usb is going to have extra latency due to the nature of the bus, I would not want to play console games from that video feed - stick to something lower level like pci-e or thunderbolt if those exist (actually tunneled pci-e). No problem for just recording or streaming though.

Something to keep in mind is some switches/receivers and even shitty smart TVs can have extra input lag to the point twitchy games are unplayable.

http://www.magewell.com/eco-capture-hdmi-4k-m-2 this is a very interesting choice. There are M.2 key M (well, B+M) extenders which use a PFC so even if your M.2 slot is on the back of the board this Magewell card is still usable.

That heatsink, I do not remember the exact height but it's not horribly bad. I would think you could even use a Echo Express SEL or a Node Lite with it should you want.

Last edited:
Seems like an HDMI switch would be an easier/cheaper solution? Are you just trying to share the monitor with multiple devices or do you actually need capture capability?

A lot of monitors have multiple inputs even - it's usually easy to convert HDMI to DVI, for instance, to make it match up with available monitor inputs.

Yes, you do have to change the display input on your monitor, so there's a level of inconvenience, but you are already hitting a keyboard combo, and you may already have the equipment you need.

I second the HDMI switch option. I use it myself and for <$20, you can't beat the simplicity or effectiveness. Anything else is a waste of time and work

Back