iTunes needs to die. Immediately.

iTunes Match as a service is an abysmal failure. Especially with a mobile device, as only a desktop/laptop will stream, all other devices download the song first then play it. Also upgrading your songs is a long, painful process because somehow apple decided not to include a "download all" button in iTunes....derp derp @ 5000 clicks to redownload all your music.

Maybe iTunes 11 will take care of the issue, but as a whole, iCloud is very annoying to use if you have used any other cloud service before it.

Really? That was one of the few aces Amazon had on them, well that and unlimited music storage for $20... I thought for sure Apple had added streaming later, didn't realize they excluded mobile devices. Must be to appease carriers, alto I dunno what difference it makes with all the other wildly poplar streaming services around.

iOS 5 came around way too late for me... I had a second gen iPod touch (first and last Apple device I've owned) and the combination of iTunes + Apple's slow software updates bugged the heck out of me so I store off iOS and never got an iPhone. I still use the touch for music playback and the occasional game (or so my godson can game on something that isn't my phone), still happy with it, just not Apple's iron grip.

I use Media Monkey to sync it and haven't even updated it past 3.x (since iTunes isn't even installed)... The thing still doesn't have any basic A2DP BT profiles and it still has the same gallery bug it had at launch where any picture saved from a web site/email looks like ass because the Photos app mistakenly opens the thumbnail (they sync at full res tho).

Apple built up a huge two year lead on the mobile market early on, they could have cornered the hell out of it if they were more flexible...

Hate itunes? Convert to Google Music.

Greatest thing ever and its FREE...

Or Amazon, which gives you 5GB free for uploads and unlimited storage for anything you buy off them (or unlimited upload storage for $20/yr), streams to anything, doesn't mess with tags, and actually lets you download songs directly and access them from any other program (other players, alarm clock, ringtone setter, etc.). Can also be set to auto download new purchases a-la-iCloud.

Frankly Google Music's only advantage are that it's free (for now, until Google unveils a cloud storage service) and that the app is slightly better looking, imo.

That's neither here nor there to the OP tho since he has an iPhone and wasn't complaining about music sync anyway.

You know why iTunes sucks ass on Windows? Because they want you to get a Mac :D

It still sucks on Mac, it just looks prettier and smoother while sucking.

There's people here rationalizing how you just have to learn to use it, that's silly, Apple is all about intuitive design and I Tunes is anything but. I really dunno why they haven't decoupled the various components already and re-designed them independently (would certainly make it feel less bloated even without a redesign), I guess they just gave up on it after iCloud and OTA updates.

Media Money is far more flexible yet still fairly intuitive, dunno what's so hard about offering a few more organization/sync options... Or why they still have all the silly restrictions on sync'ing music back from a device to a computer, by FAR one of the biggest complaints even amongst very casual users.

They beat the music industry into submission and I'm pretty sure they still have a monopoly on sales, plus Match is pretty much a blank pardon for all past piracy. Who's really gonna complain if users can suddenly transfer back music from a device to a new computer? There's probably just as many people still trying to do that as there are Match users... At least I get asked often enough about it to give that impression.

Last edited:
Just wanted it for back-up and app stuff. Nothing with music or videos.

Might do cloud now.

Home Sharing

I'm a huge apple fan, but iTunes on windows blows. It's a million times better on a mac. No freezing or unresponsiveness like I get on windows.

Thanks. I have it enabled now, but still doesn't quite behave how I would like. Ideally, I'd just like each iTunes on different machines to share the same library file on a network drive. So if the MBP is not on, I can still access the library file from a pc since all the media files are on network drives anyway. Home sharing gets me close, and works well with my Apple TV and I"Devices", but still not that nirvana of sync I was looking for. Maybe I can just move it a network drive, but I thought I tried it before. I'll play with it again this weekend.

Either way, I don't hate iTunes, just a bit annoyed with it.

Have you thought about "select all, right-click, download"??? Easy way to download all your songs.

Tried that, even made a genius appointment. The downloads start but then timeout and stop. This is at the apple store and at my house. Apple has no idea why it happens and their solution was "wait for itunes match maturity" whatever the hell that means.

The more you try to make it behave how you want the more you'll hate it. :p (or get annoyed by it)

I loaded all my library thats been working in windows for 5 years now. Itunes took songs and just moved them to one giant folder. I spent a week moving them back to the should be. All tagged right also. I installed clementine and have been just using that to play local music. I was hoping i could just stream off my whs2011 with itunes but that just was a mess. I dread when my wife wants music put on her iphone.

I loaded all my library thats been working in windows for 5 years now. Itunes took songs and just moved them to one giant folder. I spent a week moving them back to the should be. All tagged right also. I installed clementine and have been just using that to play local music. I was hoping i could just stream off my whs2011 with itunes but that just was a mess. I dread when my wife wants music put on her iphone.

Just make sure you have the "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" option turned off under preferences. iTunes will not consolidate your media files into a single folder and will keep the file in its original directory.

iTunes is junk in my opinion.

It's unstable on both OSX and Windows. It likes to freeze all the time. It's one of those apps that doesn't give you an hour glass or a prompt progress bar; it just sits there when you do something in it, and you have no idea why it's not responding to mouse clicks. Terrible. It wants to defy (for some reason) basic UI conventions that have worked well for several decades, just to be different.

It's not terribly intuitive, nor informative. It's more than happy to not sync things, but will never tell you why. I and hundreds of others are right now dealing with an issue whereby if it fails to sync a jpg to the new iPad, it simply skips all other jpg files after it in that folder, but doesn't tell you. Even within an Apple ecosystem you're out of luck; I have iTunes serving an iPhone 4, a new iPad and an ATV3, and random files in iTunes will only sync to one or two of these devices without any real information as to why. For the 'it just works' company I've had to become a codec expert just to get files to play on all Apple devices.

It's slow. So terribly slow.

It's ugly. It doesn't look particularly good on OSX and it looks terrible on Windows.... almost enough to displace that other Apple app for Ugliest Windows App of all Time (Quicktime Player for Windows.)

It's OK if the ONLY content you own was purchased from the iTunes store. That IMO is about all it's good for. As far as I'm concerned, people who defend it are probably the same sort who would have been defending hand-cranked cars when automatic starters were coming on the scene.

it sucks when u build a new pc and cant move music to iphone with out editing a file

and damm too many update prompts

iTunes is THEE #1 reason why we don't have an apple products. It just makes life hell when trying manage 1 device, much less 2 or more.

I love iTunes. It's a great music library; however, I much rather use a different music program for listening to my music.

Back