It's Still Difficult to Just Buy a Google Pixel Today, and That's Insane

If you want timely updates over the life of the phone, then a pure Android phone like the Pixel is the only way to go. The Nexus 5X is already on 7.1.2, while my Verizon S6 is on 6.0.1! What a joke. My next phone will definitely be a Pixel. Who cares if the hardware is the absolute best. All of them work fine these days.

A big part of that is Verizon... I have a international S6 and just got upgraded to 7.0. I am noticing a hit to performance... not sure if an issue or just OS perf on older hardware.

Personally I find it pretty horrible that carriers like verizon is no longer subsidizing phones (well not in the traditional ways) and still is controlling software updates etc. IMO the phones they sell can have some verizon apps preinstalled, but they should be uninstallable and should be a standard vendor build updated by the phone vendor.

I've been using Project Fi, and recently switched to T-Mobile specifically because I needed new phones and didn't want the Pixel. For being the same(ish) money as the G6 and S8, it seems like an inferior product in every way. My cell phone bill went up after switching, but quite frankly, I'm really enjoying not having to think about data. With Fi, I made it a point to not use data unless I absolutely had to. With two lines I was paying around $70 after taxes and shit, being very careful trying to stick to 1GB per line. With T-Mobile, I'm paying $105. Paying an extra $5 for LTE Hotspot, but thats including fees and everything to, so my bill went up $35/mo. Not a big deal, and my data usage has skyrocketed, mostly just from streaming music... but it's also nice to be able to use my phone while I'm out, or at a friends or whatever without scrambling for a WiFi connection. About half way though my billing cycle and for both lines I'm already sitting at 6GB used. By the time the month is over I'll be well ahead of what Fi would have cost me if I wasn't data conscious.

I ended up getting an S8+. The phone is absolutely fucking incredible. I love everything about it. Dealing with Samsung.com's ecommerce dept. has been an absolute fucking nightmare though, and if they continue on their path of trying to fuck me with a sandpaper dildo, I'll be sending it back and getting a G6.

Don't expect anything different with the next Google Pixel. Google is a software/advertisement company first and foremost. Google has no incentive to saturate the cell phone market with their own hardware/product because 90% of the money they make is from software/advertisement. Samsung and LG already have a stranglehold on the hardware market...

My problem with the pixels is the fact that google stated that their phones will only get two OS updates then one year of security updates.

Is an awful value paying that much for a phone that will be obsolete in two years.

And if they drop them like they did the N6 and N9 (at a point release, 7.1.1), tells me that it was dropped by someone decision, instead of a technical reason.

Im holding on to my N6 to see what i could buy as replacement.

As much as i hate the locked down ios, at the very least, it gets updates way passed the two years.

Actually there is quite a bit more value in the Nexus/pixel line up then in just about any other phone out there. Samsung and LG charge just as much for their flagship phones and your lucky if you get one os update, let alone security updates past the first year. They used to be cheaper too, sadly starting with the Nexus 6 the pricing has gotten insane. I think a lot of us got spoiled because of the Nexus 6 firesale deals that came out right around the release of the 6p. Amazon was selling them new for 300 bucks. I was hoping for a similar deal on the 6p when the pixel came out but Google kept supply pretty tight and it never really dropped.
And your actually getting 3 years of updates, not two. Right up until the pixel 2 launches in the fall the old Nexus 6 will still be running the latest official version of Android and have the latest security updates.

Are you some kind of executive or some shit? Big ass contract with your company or something?
Can't imagine the nickel and dime ass holes at Verizon treating 'somebody' that good.
There was a lot more to it than that. They screwed up left and right for nearly 3 weeks trying to get a phone to me and I could not do anything at the local corporate store as I had pending orders on my account. I was also charged for several things I never should have been charged for including a phone that Fedex lost. Bottom line is it was a nightmare and huge pain in the ass that took hours upon hours of phone calls and in the local store to finally get resolved over nearly 3 weeks. And that is 3 weeks that I could not even use my phone normally and had to sit in the car to use bluetooth to make or receive any calls since the mic was broken. Fuck Google and their pos hardware for causing this issue in the first place.

I ordered an XL a couple weeks after release, received it after the 3 week delay they said there would be, and I've been happy since. Love my unmolested Android experience, not a single issue with the phone. Fuck you and your bloatware Verizon.

I ordered an XL a couple weeks after release, received it after the 3 week delay they said there would be, and I've been happy since. Love my unmolested Android experience, not a single issue with the phone. Fuck you and your bloatware Verizon.
The Pixel phone I had from Verizon did not have any bloatware at all. And have fun when you become one of the several thousand of us with mic issues. Some people are on the 2nd and 3rd phones and still having the issues because Google's sorry ass does not give two shits about actually fixing the hardware.

The Pixel phone I had from Verizon did not have any bloatware at all.

Because people wouldn't have bought it from them if they put it on there. They put a few removable apps on to compete with Google's stock which they stated on release.

Also the mic issue while disastrous for those it plagued has effected less than 1% of the phones. It's not like the Pixel has an inevitable death by microphone hardwired into it. Not like the LG G4 motherboard failure which is expected to happen at some point in the phones life. Plus Google has stated it will replace any Pixel that has a failed microphone whether you got a warranty or not.

My problem with the pixels is the fact that google stated that their phones will only get two OS updates then one year of security updates.

Most non Google phones are lucky to even get 1 OS update, let alone two.

As much as i hate the locked down ios, at the very least, it gets updates way passed the two years.

Just to clarify, two years of full updates then minimum 1 year of security updates. By then it will be perfect to roll LineageOS onto anyways since it's fairly open in the first place.

Just to clarify, two years of full updates then minimum 1 year of security updates. By then it will be perfect to roll LineageOS onto anyways since it's fairly open in the first place.

And then you can still download the latest updates straight from Google if you want to. I'd love to see that with Samsung phones. lol Galaxy's are lucky to get one OS update over the life of the phone.

Actually there is quite a bit more value in the Nexus/pixel line up then in just about any other phone out there. Samsung and LG charge just as much for their flagship phones and your lucky if you get one os update, let alone security updates past the first year. They used to be cheaper too, sadly starting with the Nexus 6 the pricing has gotten insane. I think a lot of us got spoiled because of the Nexus 6 firesale deals that came out right around the release of the 6p. Amazon was selling them new for 300 bucks. I was hoping for a similar deal on the 6p when the pixel came out but Google kept supply pretty tight and it never really dropped.
And your actually getting 3 years of updates, not two. Right up until the pixel 2 launches in the fall the old Nexus 6 will still be running the latest official version of Android and have the latest security updates.

I have a N6 and a N9, both were dropped by google at 7.1.1, 7.1.2 needs to be manually installed either as PureNexus or Lineage, which, if I am not wrong, doesnt have a working version for the N9.

Security updates are not the same as a new OS release, unless I am wrong there, the N6 will just say 7.1.1 security update month/year.

Most non Google phones are lucky to even get 1 OS update, let alone two.

Dont get me wrong, I know how bad the update situation is on the android market.

See my response above.

I have a N6 and a N9, both were dropped by google at 7.1.1, 7.1.2 needs to be manually installed either as PureNexus or Lineage, which, if I am not wrong, doesnt have a working version for the N9.

When you say N9 are you referring to the 6 year old Nokia phone?

Man you guys are courageous.

3.X years later and Apple is still giving us updates to the wife's 5s. Also no bloat :eek:

Man you guys are courageous.

3.X years later and Apple is still giving us updates to the wife's 5s. Also no bloat :eek:
Thats one of the reasons why i might jump to ios, but the show stopper is the need of iTunes to copy music to the damn device.

Thats one of the reasons why i might jump to ios, but the show stopper is the need of iTunes to copy music to the damn device.
Yeah I stopped having uploaded music on my phone. Spotify premium has a huge selection of 70-90s punk, plus licensing that music is probably cheap.

Still like iTunes more than Winamp but I dunno.

Now if I could get a SD slot.

Android fans always stop when you mention carrier updates.

I've considered FI, but its no go for me.

Wifi connection is still an issue, no free music streaming, phone limitations, etc.

Back