"It's Beta"

KatalDT

2[H]4U
Am I the only one really tired of this response to any criticism about any game in open beta?

I've been playing games for over two decades now. I've participated in COUNTLESS betas, open and closed. And you know what? Almost every time, the beta in the month or two leading up to release is almost IDENTICAL to what's released. There's not enough time to do major changes.

Yes, "It's beta" might apply as a canned response if the game is 6 months out (and even then not much changes generally) but not if it's a month away.

And why do people get so offended by criticism anyway? It's not like anybody is personally attacking you because they're cancelling a preorder until they see how the release pans out. That's not a kneejerk overreaction, that's being a little more careful with your money.

BetaMax_ad.jpg

Its a fair assessment in some cases, in others, its just some fanboys white knighting their favorite game.

But in my experience you're likely to get a lot more "Its beta, stupid." type responses when you post something inflammatory or if you come off as being whiny rather than constructive.

Though you'll get some morons saying it regardless.

yea, and it rarely ever gets fixed.

it's especially sad for a certain two upcoming EA games that are three and ten weeks from release.

in these two cases you get the fanboy white knight no matter what you post, if it's not blind praise and SQUEEEE!

I definitely agree. Yet people still think open beta means beta and not demo and PR.

I would put it up there with people who say you didn't give something enough time. If I don't like it for the first hour or so, I shouldn't have to play 4 for hours before I find a part I might like. This is bad game design just like it would be a bad movie if I had to force myself to sit through an hour to get through the good part.

I disagree I'm sure the beta has heavy influence in the post release patch. I guess though for the most part I would agree.

I disagree I'm sure the beta has heavy influence in the post release patch. I guess though for the most part I would agree.

I disagree both with your agreement and disagreement. But I agree we disagree on the original agreement and disagreement. At least we don't disagree.

I disagree both with your agreement and disagreement. But I agree we disagree on the original agreement and disagreement. At least we don't disagree.

I both agree and disagree respectively speaking and in succession.

fucking early access/demo/beta should be all like how valve did it with TF2
"It's okay since it's beta" is bs especially when its OPEN demo/beta

Last edited:
It's a beta is a fine excuse when a game is buggy or imbalanced. It's a beta is NOT a fine excuse for when the content of a game is pure shit on a crusty roll, something the SWTOR fans are in for a rude awakening about shortly after that game releases.

It's kinda funny Betas were very much associated with MMO's as a free showcase of the game. Now it seems to be going much more mainstream...

For BF3, I never even played BF2 and somehow received an Alpha Trial offer, talk about marketing push.

It's a beta is a fine excuse when a game is buggy or imbalanced. It's a beta is NOT a fine excuse for when the content of a game is pure shit on a crusty roll, something the SWTOR fans are in for a rude awakening about shortly after that game releases.

third worst MMO beta i have played behind APB and FFXIV.

The only problems "It's beta" might be relevant to in any open betas:

Lag - Servers are probably being tested for population and issues with their "goal" populations, so I expect some lag. If it doesn't resolve in a 1-2 week period or they don't announce new servers/whatever...it's no longer OK.

Minor graphics glitches - Characters go invisible, things blink in and out of existence, stuff missing textures, something just doesn't look right. Things you could see a fixed in a small daily patch, nothing that would take weeks or months.

Missing text - Like 1 out of every 50 quests or dialog options missing some text. To where you can't remember the last time you saw missing text.

On that note: I agree on SWTOR....if it wasn't based on the SW universe people would be very disappointed that it does almost nothing new with the MMO genre, asks full price, and has an outrageously expensive/long development cycle for what you end up with................and a whole lot of hype.

I played the beta. Yes its bad. But its beta and I know it and will still be playing the final when it comes out :)

Beta is the new demo.

Exactly.

Betas used to be for bug testing and fixing, now they're sold as an extra, sort of like an early launch. Not much is going to get changed in the last few days before launch, that's just a fact. Some betas are done properly but not very many these days.

the facts are this: BF3 will be buggy on release...it will take 3-4 patches to get it running really good...if you buy it on Day 1 expect lots of server and gameplay issues...most new engines always cause havoc, especially one so graphically demanding

I remember playing FFXIV beta (and CE early start) and living and breathing the mantra "It's beta" in order to convince myself there is no way a game could release in such a poor state....spoiler alert: one year later it's still beta.

It really depends on the game. Some games are drastically changed during Beta while others are just demos, as others have stated, that had the buzzword Beta attached to it.

Glad it's a beta.

Quick question, with all these guys that are on rank 30 plus, will these ranks get forward to the official game, or do they all have to start from scratch?

Seriously doubt it. If anyone complains, they need to get a life. Just about every game that gets played during beta has all of the stats reset. Only reason to get to higher levels now is to try out the guns that it unlocks and see what they do.

We must be playing different betas then. I'm having the opposite experience.

you fuckers bitch to get betas, then when you do get them you bitch about the betas.
there is no pleasing you.
if all you want is to live in a world of bliss, then don't get the betas, instead wait a year after the game has been released.
you can then buy it cheap with most of the bugs ironed out.
But I suppose that doesn't give quite the same satisfaction as crying on various forums.

you fuckers bitch to get betas, then when you do get them you bitch about the betas.
there is no pleasing you.
if all you want is to live in a world of bliss, then don't get the betas, instead wait a year after the game has been released.
you can then buy it cheap with most of the bugs ironed out.
But I suppose that doesn't give quite the same satisfaction as crying on various forums.

It's good to have intelligent discourse with people who are sitting on the other side of the issue.

Last edited:
Am I the only one really tired of this response to any criticism about any game in open beta?

I've been playing games for over two decades now. I've participated in COUNTLESS betas, open and closed. And you know what? Almost every time, the beta in the month or two leading up to release is almost IDENTICAL to what's released. There's not enough time to do major changes.

Yes, "It's beta" might apply as a canned response if the game is 6 months out (and even then not much changes generally) but not if it's a month away.

And why do people get so offended by criticism anyway? It's not like anybody is personally attacking you because they're cancelling a preorder until they see how the release pans out. That's not a kneejerk overreaction, that's being a little more careful with your money.

it depends on the developer in my opinion.. in the years i've been playing games and participating in beta's theres been a few games where the beta was the actual game that ended up being retailed and theres been times where the retailed version is nothing like the beta. if the developers actually listen to the community things change, if they don't give a shit about the community and only care about the all mighty dollar then shit doesn't change. a perfect example of this is the C&C 4 beta, the beta was the actual retail version of the game minus 2 maps. was still a pos in beta form as it was in retail. nor did the developers give a damn about the community or anyone else.

Beta means nothing now. It is just a get-out-of-jail free card for publishers demoing their games.

I wish I could change my name to "CODBetaIzBetr"

Then wait for the shit storm

Back