iTouch Jailbreak question.

Gatecrasher3

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I know there are better forums to ask this question, but it's just everyone at hardocp seems to know what they are talking about.

Ok so I just got a 32g 3gen itouch with 3.1.2 firmware. And my question is about tethering, from what I understand from watching jailbreak tutorials. If I were to jailbreak my 3gen itouch using blackra1n i would need to re-jailbreak using blackra1n every time I wanted to turn on my itouch.

So if I just wanted to listen to some music with my itouch, i would need to break out my laptop, turn it on, and then re-jailbreak my itouch because of tethering?

To me this seem to completely defeat the purpose of having an iPod, I mean if I needed to be in front of my computer to turn it on, then i would just use my computer.

Does this really mean I must re-jailbreak every time?
I really hope I am misunderstanding what there are saying.

Thanks for the help.

Lol just don't turn your iPod off. I have the same exact iPod and it is jailbroken and I haven't had any problems just keeping my iPod off. All you need to do is put it to sleep while you listen to music and just charge it over night. I recently went on a week trip to Memphis and brought my iPod and it lasted me the while week. You waste more battery turning your iPod on and off than you do having it asleep. Basically I'm just saying instead of turning it off just put it to sleep and then charge it overnight and you shouldn't have any problems

ohhh got yaa, i thought it was even in sleep more i had to jailbreak

so its not bad for the player, to have it in sleep all the time?

I don't think an iPhone (and the same goes for touch) need to be shut down at all. Who shuts down their cellphones on a day to day basis? (I realize you're talking about a touch, but I'm just pointing out that the touch is just an iPhone minus the ability to call, and no one turns off their iPhone)

I don't think an iPhone (and the same goes for touch) need to be shut down at all. Who shuts down their cellphones on a day to day basis? (I realize you're talking about a touch, but I'm just pointing out that the touch is just an iPhone minus the ability to call, and no one turns off their iPhone)

This. I have a 16GB 3rd gen iTouch and I couldn't tell you when the last time I turned it off was.

i restart my iphone 3G all the time. it locks up on a semi regular basis.... probabily once every 2-3 days.

it is around 2 years old now.....

i restart my iphone 3G all the time. it locks up on a semi regular basis.... probabily once every 2-3 days.

it is around 2 years old now.....

Probably something wrong with your phone.

Or, at least, I have never had my 3GS lock up in the entire time I've owned it.

I have to restart my iPhone 2g about once every 2 weeks.....only because it gives my "No Service"

tho I have read that the itouch has the need to re jailbreak every time it is restarted. Somthing with the firmware

I jailbroke my 32gb ipod touch 3g w/ the 3.1.2 firmware. It's a simple jailbreak, just download blackra1n and run it. If your ipod gets turned off, just plug it back in, run blackra1n and rebreak it. I've had no problems with my jailbreak; never has froze on me. The only times I've had to re-jailbreak it is when I installed programs that need a reset to run. Syncing with itunes doesn't break the jailbreak.

Last edited:
I never had my iPhone lock up either. But I heard the new ones do since they are discouraging jailbreaking.

i jailbroke my touch 2g (non MC serial) with redsn0w, works perfectly.
i was skeptical about blackra1n so i just went with redsn0w

i jailbroke my touch 2g (non MC serial) with redsn0w, works perfectly.
i was skeptical about blackra1n so i just went with redsn0w

May I ask why? Aren't they both made by the same person? Also, I thought redsn0w was for iPhone only

Just don't run out of juice or restart the phone or turn it off. Otherwise, the dreaded DFU mode, haha.

I personally think it's worth it because you get so many more features with the jailbreak. You would just need to be a bit more cautious.

Like I said I have a jailbroken 32GB 3G iPod Touch and I can't think of the last time I turned it off. The battery lasts long enough when I just put the screen to sleep while I listen to music that there's no point in turning it off. And even if I needed to turn it off I could always just hook it up to my computer and run blackra1n again so it's no biggy at all. I vote you go for it and you won't regret it! The cydia market has some pretty cool apps.

I've never bothered to jailbreak mine (16GB 2nd gen), what are some of the cooler cydia apps or jailbreak features you guys got by jailbreaking yours? I used to be on the look out for regular apps more often and whatnot but to be perfectly honest these days I just use the browser and e-mail 90% of the time (and music of 'course, 'specially in the car over Bluetooth, I love that). The movies app is probably the one app I use more than any of the other ones, since it links me directly to trailers when I wanna look one up and saves me the trouble of hunting Youtube for 'em.

Is there any way to get around the retarded Bluetooth limitations Apple placed on the device by jailbreaking it? (i.e. the fact that they failed to implement more advanced BT profiles so you can't skip/repeat songs w/a BT remotefor instance)

Back