IT Resume Thread

Well, I tried to redo a number of the mistakes I made on the previous resume, and added some to this one. If anyone is willing to look at it and give me some input I would definitely appreciate it, and appreciate your patience so far. I guess there is no need to give permission to be critical posting in this thread *cringe*. ;) But really, thanks guys!

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B18FjmAYuZHicVVMMDltczFldmM/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:
I would appreciate feedback on the content and layout of mine, here:
http://i.imgur.com/nQwQn4B.jpg

I always tailor it to specific position requirements, but this is a generalized one-page with a focus on data analytics development.
This format and general content is what I'll be putting out to recruiters.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Well, I tried to redo a number of the mistakes I made on the previous resume, and added some to this one. If anyone is willing to look at it and give me some input I would definitely appreciate it, and appreciate your patience so far. I guess there is no need to give permission to be critical posting in this thread *cringe*. ;) But really, thanks guys!

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B18FjmAYuZHicVVMMDltczFldmM/edit?usp=sharing

Your resume for a new grad shouldn't be more than a single page.

Your degree conferred should be highlighted at the top, your academic honors beneath it. You don't need to date all of your academic honors. They are tag-lines, not positions. Don't include the community college transfer section.

Your graduating institution, your degree, your GPA and "Summa Cum Laude" are sufficient. The latter two things already imply "Dean's List"
You should keep your fraternity honor there, forever.

Put the dates above the location in your right-aligned sections. when the experience occurred is more relevant than in which city it occurred.

OS proficiencies don't require written explanation. A reader is going to skim for keywords so a simple list will be most effective... leave details for an interview and cover letter.
Anybody technical reading your PC-Building section is going to feel patronized... "Oh this guy can build computers, great.... why did he write a paragraph saying he knows gaming, Intel and AMD platforms?"

Your resume for a new grad shouldn't be more than a single page.

Your degree conferred should be highlighted at the top, your academic honors beneath it. You don't need to date all of your academic honors. They are tag-lines, not positions. Don't include the community college transfer section.

Your graduating institution, your degree, your GPA and "Summa Cum Laude" are sufficient. The latter two things already imply "Dean's List"
You should keep your fraternity honor there, forever.

Put the dates above the location in your right-aligned sections. when the experience occurred is more relevant than in which city it occurred.

OS proficiencies don't require written explanation. A reader is going to skim for keywords so a simple list will be most effective... leave details for an interview and cover letter.
Anybody technical reading your PC-Building section is going to feel patronized... "Oh this guy can build computers, great.... why did he write a paragraph saying he knows gaming, Intel and AMD platforms?"

Thank you much, I will incorporate those changes. Much appreciated :)

I posted in GenMay but figured I would post here too. Send me PM if interested.

Looking for Information Security Consultants, Specifically the following cities
New York City, NY, US
Santa Clara, CA, US
Seattle, WA, US
Los Angeles, CA, US
McLean, VA, US
Houston, TX, US
Boston, MA, US
Atlanta, GA, US
Dallas, TX, US
Chicago, IL, US
San Francisco, CA, US

Responsibilities:
* Analyze complex enterprise environments from an information security perspective across various client industries
* Interface with high-level client executives and hands-on technology practitioners to bring meaningful, strategic change in the sphere of information protection, data security and privacy, and business continuity
* Design and populate policy libraries with regulatory authority from diverse industry oversight groups such as PCI Data Security Standards, ISO 27001 and 27002, HIPAA, GLBA, NIST 800-53, FedRAMP, Cloud Security Alliance, FISMA, PIPEDA, EU Data Privacy, and state data breach laws
* Assist with the architecture, configuration, deployment and service design of network and system security monitoring and analysis tools, Identity and Access Management platforms, IT-GRC platforms, and DLP systems
* Assist with project management for global security technology and process implementations including program oversight for global penetration testing, vendor and third party risk management, data privacy and information governance implementation, and vulnerability management program delivery
Additional Responsibilities for Senior Associate:
* Articulate business risks of technical vulnerabilities to client personnel
* Assist with scoping prospective engagements and developing proposals
* Identify and communicate findings to client personnel
* Recognize performance improvement opportunities for clients
Qualifications:
* Three years of experience in information security or in a technology-related field
* Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university in an appropriate field
* Strong understanding of and ability to provide security configuration and testing of networking and operating systems including TCP/IP, WAN/LAN routing, VLAN architecture, and a wide array of large-scale environments including various major web application servers
* Functional certification such as MCSE, CCNA, CNE, CCIE, Archer/ArcSight / other product-certified preferred
* CISSP, CEH, CPT, CISM, CISA, CIPP, GIAC, GSEC, and/or GCFW certifications preferred
* Ability to travel up to eighty percent of the time
Additional Qualifications for Senior Associate:
* Five years of experience in information security or in a technology-related field
* Strong knowledge base in operations, enterprise networking, systems evaluation and architecture

The Formatting is skewed because of obscured information.

Updated resume with the above changes. I have an interview Wednesday for an IT Administrator.

Has anyone had experience in a similar job where you're the only IT person? Any recommendations for the interview on such a position? Not much information on the web about the company. Sounds like it's under 100 users and it's 1 location.

Last edited:
Question.

What are peoples thoughts regarding W2 contract work? Specifically leaving a dead end job after 5+ years for a contract. Skill set, general desktop support technician (dime a dozen).

Upside:
Gain experience.
Networking.
Higher pay.

Downside:
Looking for a new job once the contract has ended if no possibility of full time.
No benefits.

Is it worth the risk or should someone in this position just keep an eye out for full time employment?

It honestly depends on the company. I feel if there's good growth potential and they are busy, it can be a good move. However, 5+ years can net you decent benefits at a company as well. YMMV on that one. If someone is unhappy with their current job, it doesn't take much to push them to move.

Sadly, this is the trend in the US. I've been contracting for the last 3 years. No health insurance, retirement, etc. Do I like it? Hellll no --but I'd rather have a job than not. However, due to the uncertainty of the situation, my mentality is always looking for the next job. I will make sure I learn valuable skills while I'm here and jump ship the moment something better comes along. I am always looking for the next job --that is my real job! Sure, it does suck. I'd kill for a good stable job with protection a union would give me but it just isn't my reality right now...

Just thought I would chime into this thread again. With my above resume I posted in #1328, I have accepted a job as an IT Administrator with a new company, and moved out of help desk! I'm looking forward to my new growth and opportunities.

Hey Everyone. I just thought I would throw my resume up here.

I'm looking for something new in Phoenix AZ.
If anyone is interested send me and email or PM.

Thanks

Alex Bryant
Phoenix, AZ
Phone: My Phone Number
[email protected]

Summary:

I have a progressively growing, diverse career in the area of Windows Server Administration. I have successfully designed, implemented, administrated, and maintained all facets of Windows Server environments. This includes Active Directory Domains, Exchange 2003-2010, HyperV, VMware, Microsoft System Center, and enterprise storage and backups.

EMPLOYMENT HISTORY:

Crexendo, Inc 10/2012-Current
I.T. Engineer
I currently administrate Exchange, Windows Servers, Backups, and Domain Services.

• Exchange:
o Administer an Exchange 2010 environment.
o Created and supported the creation of all Exchange 2010 Roles.
o Implemented unified messaging along with Lync 2010.
o Created all Mailbox policies.
o Take advantage of the benefits of PowerShell.
o Outlook Web App (OWA) configuration.
o Setup an Exchange archive solution with Symantec Enterprise Vault.
o Responsible for the uptime of Exchange in a high availability environment.

• Windows Servers:
o I am responsible for the uptime of 200 Windows servers in a high availability environment.
o Responsible for all roles on servers.
o Within my first week I implemented WSUS, KMS, and Hyper-V. (on EMC Storage)
o I use PowerShell scripting for many administrative tasks.
o Microsoft System Center (SCCM, SCOM, SCVMM)

• Backups:
o I do backups of all Windows and Linux Servers.
o Windows backups are done using Backup Exec 2010/Microsoft Data Protection Manager.
o Linux servers are done using Symantec Netbackup.
o All backups are done to Overland Storage Tape Devices.
o I do all Tape Rotations, off-siting, and disaster recovery planning.

• Domain Services:

o I manage Active Directory, DHCP, DNS, Group Policy, and Sites and Services.
o I designed the active directory in its current state.
o I setup mirrored DHCP scopes to ensure high availability.
o I deploy all software and desired settings through Group Policy.
o I setup 3 remote offices by using Active Directory Sites and Services.

Grand Prairie Independent School District 06/2012-09/2012
Network Administrator
I was involved in managing the Systems, Active Directory, and Exchange.

• Systems:
o Managed servers at 40 different sites (2003, 2008, 2008 R2)
o Managed 40+ VMware ESXI 5.0 hosts.
o Setup and maintained VMware ESXI hosts.
o Responsible for doing all physical to virtual conversions.
o Responsible for installing and configuring all roles/services on servers.
o Used Dell Kace to manage OS deployments/scripted installations and patch management.

• Active Directory:
o Managed 4,000 users in Active Directory.
o Effectively used PowerShell Scripts with Active Directory.
o Configured all OU’s in accordance with Group Policy to ensure proper policies are applied to users.
o Ensured Group membership is correct of all users.

• Exchange
o Planned and implemented an upgrade from exchange 2007 to 2010.
o Created and managed all users exchange mailboxes.
o Setup and implemented user mailbox policies.

Cam International 05/2011 – 05/2012
Network Administrator
I was directly in charge of managing the Systems, Network, Help desk, and Virtualization.

• Systems:
o NAS Management and Administration using Synology and Drobo.
o Maintained multiple Windows Servers 2003, 2008, 2008 R2 and several MAC Servers.
o Managed and installed all of the roles and services on these servers.
o Updated all Servers and Workstations using WSUS.
o The roles I used daily are Active Directory, DHCP,DNS, IIS, Routing and Remote Services.
o Started and implemented a Virtualization Project using vSphere to implement server consolidation.
o Managed enterprise wide anti-virus.
o Responsible for ensuring all company information was backed up in case of data loss.
o Created the local domain that is currently being used by Cam International and integrated it into the entire network.
o I was responsible for all backups and data protection. I used Microsoft Data Protection Manager on a daily basis to backup all systems and SQL information. I then made sure this information is replicated off-site for disaster recovery.
o Windows XP, Vista, 7 desktop support.
o System Center 2012 (SCCM, SCVMM)

• Network:
o Managed the network and this involved working in the SonicWall device as well as correctly configuring our LAN/WAN settings.
o Managed Cisco switches.
o Managed and created VLANs.
o Organized and created all VPN connections.

• Help Desk:
o Managed and organized Cam International’s Help Desk. This involved taking stock of all open tickets, assigning them, and following up with completed support tickets to ensure that the issue was dealt with in an appropriate, effective, and timely manner.
• Virtualization:
o Was in charge of managing 2 systems running ESXI version 4 by VMware.
o Was responsible for managing all Hyper-V machines using Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manger.
o I planned, create, and implement all virtualization projects and saw them through to completion.
• Telecommunications:
o I managed a Digium Switchvox Phone server
o I setup, managed, and maintained Polycom VOIP phones.
• Web Server Management:
o I managed 2 web servers. One was a Server 2008 R2 box running IIS. The second is a Linux box running CentOS which runs Railo, an open-source Cold Fusion product

Baptist Bible College 2008 – 05/2011
Network Technician
At this position I was in charge of managing the Network, Helpdesk, Virtualization, and Deployment.

• Network:
o I managed the wired and wireless network using a NetEnforcer device. I also used the HP Procurve Management Utility.
o I also worked within a Sonicwall device to manage all WAN connections.
o I planned and implemented an entire switch and access point changeover.
• Systems:
o I managed several 2003, 2008, and 2008 R2 servers.
o I worked with the most essential roles of Microsoft Server. (Active Directory, DHCP, DNS, Routing and Remote Services)
• Helpdesk:
o I was responsible for completing a large volume of helpdesk tickets put in by 500 users.
o I was responsible for following up with all completed helpdesk tickets to ensure that the matter had been dealt with in a professional and precise manner.
• Virtualization:
o Responsible for creating and managing Hyper-V machines to keep up with the demand of the growing network.
o I stored these machines on Synology NAS devices.
• Deployment
o Used Windows Deployment services to mange deployments of Windows of up to 100 at a time.
o To make this more effective I setup a Windows Deployment Services unattended answer file.
o This would be used to Image an entire lab with the desired settings and software in a short time.
• Telecommunications:
o Planned, setup, and managed a Digium Switchvox phone server.
o Also setup and managed Polycom VOIP phones.

TECHNICAL SKILLS:

• SAN Technologies- EMC, and Dell Equalogic
• DAS Storage- Dell PowerVault
• NAS Management - Synology and Drobo
• Microsoft Exchange 2003,2007, 2010
• Lync 2010/2013
• System Center (SCCM, SCOM, SCVMM)
• Symantec Enterprise Vault
• PowerShell Scripting
• Active Directory
• DHCP
• DNS
• Group Policy
• Windows Server 2003, 2008, 2008 R2 (all roles and services)
• WSUS
• Microsoft Data Protection Manager
• Symantec Backup Exec
• Veem Backup Software
• VMware
• Hyper V
• Dell Kace
• HP ProCurve
• Digium Swichvox Phone Servers
• SQL Database Management
• Max OSX Server Management
• SonicWall Firewalls
• Cisco ASA Firewalls
• Spiceworks Help Desk Software
• Google Apps Management

Education

B.A. Baptist Bible College
May 2011

Certifications/Learned Skills

Microsoft Server 2003,2008,2008 R2
Exchange 2010
Virtualization
Storage and Backups
Data Center Management
SonicaWall Administration
HP Procurve Integration and Administration

Hi

I'm in need of help for my resume.. i'm willing to pay someone to do my resume.. please PM me.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what to include on an entry level resume? I am currently in college. An instructor of mine is network admin for a local large company and they are constantly hiring help desk support. I didn't think I was qualified for the position but after talking to him yesterday he said he would write me a letter of recommendation for the position and that the company would overlook some of the qualifications if I interviewed well and was knowledgeable. Most likely they would hire based on the fact that I would acquire an A+ cert within 90 days. What I'm asking is I have no computer background/experience in an actual job. Only what I have learned in school and what I learn on my own from fixing and maintaining friend an family PC's. I have implemented and set-up my own home network as well. What could I include on a resume to apply for a position like this since I don't have any actual "work" experience or a degree?
Any help would be much appreciated!

Does anyone have any recommendations for what to include on an entry level resume? I am currently in college. An instructor of mine is network admin for a local large company and they are constantly hiring help desk support. I didn't think I was qualified for the position but after talking to him yesterday he said he would write me a letter of recommendation for the position and that the company would overlook some of the qualifications if I interviewed well and was knowledgeable. Most likely they would hire based on the fact that I would acquire an A+ cert within 90 days. What I'm asking is I have no computer background/experience in an actual job. Only what I have learned in school and what I learn on my own from fixing and maintaining friend an family PC's. I have implemented and set-up my own home network as well. What could I include on a resume to apply for a position like this since I don't have any actual "work" experience or a degree?
Any help would be much appreciated!

For something like help desk any service/customer service experience would be helpful.

If it were me I would take anyone in Retail/Food Industry/Sales etc. Basically any job where you had to interact with people. So about every job out there except for construction trades.

Don't let A+ deter you it literally is a joke of a cert if you have fixed or built any computer in your life. I am not saying you would pass the test without cracking open a book, but its not really that hard and to be honest I don't think it does that much for people's careers.

Not like Network+ or any of the CCNA/P, Microsoft Professional Certs do.

Just interview well and present yourself well and have your professor do the rest.

Don't forget to write your professor a thank you even if you don't get an interview.

For something like help desk any service/customer service experience would be helpful.

If it were me I would take anyone in Retail/Food Industry/Sales etc. Basically any job where you had to interact with people. So about every job out there except for construction trades.

Don't let A+ deter you it literally is a joke of a cert if you have fixed or built any computer in your life. I am not saying you would pass the test without cracking open a book, but its not really that hard and to be honest I don't think it does that much for people's careers.

Not like Network+ or any of the CCNA/P, Microsoft Professional Certs do.

Just interview well and present yourself well and have your professor do the rest.

Don't forget to write your professor a thank you even if you don't get an interview.

Well I have been at a manufacturing job for the past 7 years, but before that I worked at Wal-Mart which had a lot of customer service interaction for a little over a year, and I was a supervisor there. I do have customer interaction at my current job as customers often come in to pick up parts. I have built 3 different computers over the past couple years and I have hands on experience as I said with friend and family computers virus removal, hardware/software installations, minor networking. Would it be worth including that type of personal experience on my resume or no?

Hey Everyone. I just thought I would throw my resume up here.

I'm looking for something new in Phoenix AZ.
If anyone is interested send me and email or PM.

Thanks

Alex Bryant
Phoenix, AZ
Phone: My Phone Number
[email protected]

Summary:

I have a progressively growing, diverse career in the area of Windows Server Administration. I have successfully designed, implemented, administrated, and maintained all facets of Windows Server environments. This includes Active Directory Domains, Exchange 2003-2010, HyperV, VMware, Microsoft System Center, and enterprise storage and backups.

EMPLOYMENT HISTORY:

Crexendo, Inc 10/2012-Current
I.T. Engineer
I currently administrate Exchange, Windows Servers, Backups, and Domain Services.

• Exchange:
o Administer an Exchange 2010 environment.
o Created and supported the creation of all Exchange 2010 Roles.
o Implemented unified messaging along with Lync 2010.
o Created all Mailbox policies.
o Take advantage of the benefits of PowerShell.
o Outlook Web App (OWA) configuration.
o Setup an Exchange archive solution with Symantec Enterprise Vault.
o Responsible for the uptime of Exchange in a high availability environment.

• Windows Servers:
o I am responsible for the uptime of 200 Windows servers in a high availability environment.
o Responsible for all roles on servers.
o Within my first week I implemented WSUS, KMS, and Hyper-V. (on EMC Storage)
o I use PowerShell scripting for many administrative tasks.
o Microsoft System Center (SCCM, SCOM, SCVMM)

• Backups:
o I do backups of all Windows and Linux Servers.
o Windows backups are done using Backup Exec 2010/Microsoft Data Protection Manager.
o Linux servers are done using Symantec Netbackup.
o All backups are done to Overland Storage Tape Devices.
o I do all Tape Rotations, off-siting, and disaster recovery planning.

• Domain Services:

o I manage Active Directory, DHCP, DNS, Group Policy, and Sites and Services.
o I designed the active directory in its current state.
o I setup mirrored DHCP scopes to ensure high availability.
o I deploy all software and desired settings through Group Policy.
o I setup 3 remote offices by using Active Directory Sites and Services.

Grand Prairie Independent School District 06/2012-09/2012
Network Administrator
I was involved in managing the Systems, Active Directory, and Exchange.

• Systems:
o Managed servers at 40 different sites (2003, 2008, 2008 R2)
o Managed 40+ VMware ESXI 5.0 hosts.
o Setup and maintained VMware ESXI hosts.
o Responsible for doing all physical to virtual conversions.
o Responsible for installing and configuring all roles/services on servers.
o Used Dell Kace to manage OS deployments/scripted installations and patch management.

• Active Directory:
o Managed 4,000 users in Active Directory.
o Effectively used PowerShell Scripts with Active Directory.
o Configured all OU’s in accordance with Group Policy to ensure proper policies are applied to users.
o Ensured Group membership is correct of all users.

• Exchange
o Planned and implemented an upgrade from exchange 2007 to 2010.
o Created and managed all users exchange mailboxes.
o Setup and implemented user mailbox policies.

Cam International 05/2011 – 05/2012
Network Administrator
I was directly in charge of managing the Systems, Network, Help desk, and Virtualization.

• Systems:
o NAS Management and Administration using Synology and Drobo.
o Maintained multiple Windows Servers 2003, 2008, 2008 R2 and several MAC Servers.
o Managed and installed all of the roles and services on these servers.
o Updated all Servers and Workstations using WSUS.
o The roles I used daily are Active Directory, DHCP,DNS, IIS, Routing and Remote Services.
o Started and implemented a Virtualization Project using vSphere to implement server consolidation.
o Managed enterprise wide anti-virus.
o Responsible for ensuring all company information was backed up in case of data loss.
o Created the local domain that is currently being used by Cam International and integrated it into the entire network.
o I was responsible for all backups and data protection. I used Microsoft Data Protection Manager on a daily basis to backup all systems and SQL information. I then made sure this information is replicated off-site for disaster recovery.
o Windows XP, Vista, 7 desktop support.
o System Center 2012 (SCCM, SCVMM)

• Network:
o Managed the network and this involved working in the SonicWall device as well as correctly configuring our LAN/WAN settings.
o Managed Cisco switches.
o Managed and created VLANs.
o Organized and created all VPN connections.

• Help Desk:
o Managed and organized Cam International’s Help Desk. This involved taking stock of all open tickets, assigning them, and following up with completed support tickets to ensure that the issue was dealt with in an appropriate, effective, and timely manner.
• Virtualization:
o Was in charge of managing 2 systems running ESXI version 4 by VMware.
o Was responsible for managing all Hyper-V machines using Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manger.
o I planned, create, and implement all virtualization projects and saw them through to completion.
• Telecommunications:
o I managed a Digium Switchvox Phone server
o I setup, managed, and maintained Polycom VOIP phones.
• Web Server Management:
o I managed 2 web servers. One was a Server 2008 R2 box running IIS. The second is a Linux box running CentOS which runs Railo, an open-source Cold Fusion product

Baptist Bible College 2008 – 05/2011
Network Technician
At this position I was in charge of managing the Network, Helpdesk, Virtualization, and Deployment.

• Network:
o I managed the wired and wireless network using a NetEnforcer device. I also used the HP Procurve Management Utility.
o I also worked within a Sonicwall device to manage all WAN connections.
o I planned and implemented an entire switch and access point changeover.
• Systems:
o I managed several 2003, 2008, and 2008 R2 servers.
o I worked with the most essential roles of Microsoft Server. (Active Directory, DHCP, DNS, Routing and Remote Services)
• Helpdesk:
o I was responsible for completing a large volume of helpdesk tickets put in by 500 users.
o I was responsible for following up with all completed helpdesk tickets to ensure that the matter had been dealt with in a professional and precise manner.
• Virtualization:
o Responsible for creating and managing Hyper-V machines to keep up with the demand of the growing network.
o I stored these machines on Synology NAS devices.
• Deployment
o Used Windows Deployment services to mange deployments of Windows of up to 100 at a time.
o To make this more effective I setup a Windows Deployment Services unattended answer file.
o This would be used to Image an entire lab with the desired settings and software in a short time.
• Telecommunications:
o Planned, setup, and managed a Digium Switchvox phone server.
o Also setup and managed Polycom VOIP phones.

TECHNICAL SKILLS:

• SAN Technologies- EMC, and Dell Equalogic
• DAS Storage- Dell PowerVault
• NAS Management - Synology and Drobo
• Microsoft Exchange 2003,2007, 2010
• Lync 2010/2013
• System Center (SCCM, SCOM, SCVMM)
• Symantec Enterprise Vault
• PowerShell Scripting
• Active Directory
• DHCP
• DNS
• Group Policy
• Windows Server 2003, 2008, 2008 R2 (all roles and services)
• WSUS
• Microsoft Data Protection Manager
• Symantec Backup Exec
• Veem Backup Software
• VMware
• Hyper V
• Dell Kace
• HP ProCurve
• Digium Swichvox Phone Servers
• SQL Database Management
• Max OSX Server Management
• SonicWall Firewalls
• Cisco ASA Firewalls
• Spiceworks Help Desk Software
• Google Apps Management

Education

B.A. Baptist Bible College
May 2011

Certifications/Learned Skills

Microsoft Server 2003,2008,2008 R2
Exchange 2010
Virtualization
Storage and Backups
Data Center Management
SonicaWall Administration
HP Procurve Integration and Administration

This is really worded. I am not sure if someone is going to read all of that. I would try to avoid the format where you list a Job and the you have 4 of the same sub sections for each job.

I wouldn't underestimate the value of the company which seems to get lost in the translation (I had to actively search for the companies you worked for).

Like take for example this company:

Crexendo, Inc

- Implemented Lync instant messaging and softphone capabilities (not many people even know what Unified Messaging is, especially your HR people looking at this resume)
- Designed current Active Directory enviornment
- something here about disaster recovery
-something here about another important point

Next Job.

Sometimes less is really more. A lot what I am seeing is just implied when you are applying for a Windows Systems Admin.

Well I have been at a manufacturing job for the past 7 years, but before that I worked at Wal-Mart which had a lot of customer service interaction for a little over a year, and I was a supervisor there. I do have customer interaction at my current job as customers often come in to pick up parts. I have built 3 different computers over the past couple years and I have hands on experience as I said with friend and family computers virus removal, hardware/software installations, minor networking. Would it be worth including that type of personal experience on my resume or no?

Yea don't list working on family and friends computers, but I would include them as references (not family, but maybe close friends if you really have to).

Try to use Walmart professional references if possible.

Sell your experience with customer service at a NON Technical job. Think of scenarios where you truly helped people or employees you managed.

If I am hiring for help desk I am not looking for the smartest guy in the room. I am looking for the person who is the best "talker" and has examples of good team work.

Sadly, this is the trend in the US. I've been contracting for the last 3 years. No health insurance, retirement, etc. Do I like it? Hellll no --but I'd rather have a job than not. However, due to the uncertainty of the situation, my mentality is always looking for the next job. I will make sure I learn valuable skills while I'm here and jump ship the moment something better comes along. I am always looking for the next job --that is my real job! Sure, it does suck. I'd kill for a good stable job with protection a union would give me but it just isn't my reality right now...

The unfortunate part about contracting is it is such a board term. My wife got a 18 dollar per hour software trainer. It required no prior experience, but she is a teacher now. Software training at 18 an hour is shit.

When I was in banking software training bankers on those systems the company charged like 3,500 for 3 day sessions 5 years ago.

Most contractors we hire for our company now are paid over 75 an hour after agency fees, so its more like 100-150 an hour.

I would 100 percent be a contractor for 100 an hour without benefits, especially with no kids and stuff.

Yea don't list working on family and friends computers, but I would include them as references (not family, but maybe close friends if you really have to).

Try to use Walmart professional references if possible.

Sell your experience with customer service at a NON Technical job. Think of scenarios where you truly helped people or employees you managed.

If I am hiring for help desk I am not looking for the smartest guy in the room. I am looking for the person who is the best "talker" and has examples of good team work.

Okay! Thanks for the advice!

What's the point of providing references?

There isn't much in my opinion. I have call them when we hire our interns (I only am involved in that process) and honestly we have a huge HR department so they might follow up.

I have had references called usually for state/government jobs.

I have provided references to numerous and I am going to say it is more than 20 interns in the last few years.

The whole reasons I don't like references is because

1. People will put their friends etc that really provide no input (waste of time) or than saying how awesome you are.

2. People put people they rarely know and then you are put on the spot of they do call

3. People put people they know and then a HR person can call and ask all sorts of questions that really are not at liberty to be discussed (ie: can you tell me what she does in her personal life, is she married, has kids blah blah)

But in a lot of cases when I have given references I will say that good and I mean good HR managers are calling references to see if what you put on your resume is complete bullshit. Think of it from a cross examination standpoint.

I have had interns put that they managed whole environments so I would get managers that would call and say "oh I see he managed the email portion of your business....ummm I would say assisted"

Things like that. A lot less time consuming than bringing someone in for multiple interviews.

In your state, are HR managers permitted to discuss current or former employees beyond acknowledging their employment?

In your state, are HR managers permitted to discuss current or former employees beyond acknowledging their employment?

No, but that doesn't stop hiring recruiters from asking questions about employment anyways. You are talking about a non recorded phone conversation.

its he says she says type of an affair and no one is legally permitted to give reasons for why you did or didn't get hired.

Edit: Started my own thread as it didn't pertain directly to my resume.

Last edited:
No, but that doesn't stop hiring recruiters from asking questions about employment anyways. You are talking about a non recorded phone conversation.

its he says she says type of an affair and no one is legally permitted to give reasons for why you did or didn't get hired.

My state isn't aloud to even ask rate of pay. All they are allowed to ask is time I was employed and if you're re-hire-able.

However, you bring up a good point in that the conversation isn't recorded. I would love to be the person who I could record and find out they said something out of line......lawsuit :p....yeah I am an American after all.

Question.

What are peoples thoughts regarding W2 contract work? Specifically leaving a dead end job after 5+ years for a contract. Skill set, general desktop support technician (dime a dozen).

Upside:
Gain experience.
Networking.
Higher pay.

Downside:
Looking for a new job once the contract has ended if no possibility of full time.
No benefits.

Is it worth the risk or should someone in this position just keep an eye out for full time employment?

I have done nothing but W-2/1099's.......

But most are open ended contracts and last forever. I typically just found something I enjoyed doing better than what I previously was.

I am now working for a sub-contractor for Dell on site support for.....well lets just say its the worlds largest Aerospace company. Here and there will they let us know there is a "Dell badge" position open (actually working directly for Dell). But since its open ended I truly would not care much if they offered it to me or not.

Further more, going back to previous work experience I can honestly say if I ever had to describe "entry level IT" this position would be it. Not down-playing it by any means because there are still hurdles......but, I could train anyone for 2 weeks to get this job down.

And lastly, cost of living. Where I live you can live in an apartment for roughly 14/hr. Making over 40k means you're comfortable and can afford a brand new house (new housing is popping up all over the place here). 60+k means you're living like a god in your own realm.

So, consider cost of living and w-2/1099 as a devil or heaven......it means you get more experience with others systems/software/hardware.....and you can still live within your means.

edit: And they are hiring for night shift where I am at. So if anyone is looking for entry level night shift work in the South Carolina area.....PM me.

I would suggest reading through this thread. Your resume has many of the issues that have been addressed many times over at this point.

@Carisma

Your profile statement doesn't make sense. Your profile statement is not concise. If I saw your resume, I would give it one look and forget about it because nothing really stands out to me. You are not really highlighting anything to me. Numbers are a good thing to add to a resume; especially if they are $$$$$. Add a cost or a savings to the projects you worked on. I don't care that you analyzed or managed a job, but when you tell me that the job was worth $100K, $1000K, etc, then it really sticks out.

Remove your education from the resume. I think at this point, we all know you went to high school. Now, if you had a degree, then I would note that on the resume, but just putting that you went to high school is a huge distraction and detractor. It really doesn't help you.

I may have been a bit harsh, but that is how I interview and that is how I've been able to put together a very successful team.

@Carisma

Your profile statement doesn't make sense. Your profile statement is not concise. If I saw your resume, I would give it one look and forget about it because nothing really stands out to me. You are not really highlighting anything to me. Numbers are a good thing to add to a resume; especially if they are $$$$$. Add a cost or a savings to the projects you worked on. I don't care that you analyzed or managed a job, but when you tell me that the job was worth $100K, $1000K, etc, then it really sticks out.

Remove your education from the resume. I think at this point, we all know you went to high school. Now, if you had a degree, then I would note that on the resume, but just putting that you went to high school is a huge distraction and detractor. It really doesn't help you.

I may have been a bit harsh, but that is how I interview and that is how I've been able to put together a very successful team.
That's good...thank you for the advice.

I will edit it based on your remarks and go from there :)

Edited based on your feedback: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fi9xet63x8pgh5a/Resume_GeranBrown.doc

Last edited:
@Carisma

That is a MUCH MUCH BETTER resume. Easy to read. It's quick and the $2 million really sticks out. In fact, that was the first thing that grabbed my attention. I looked at everything else after I read about that $2 million.

Your profile statement seems too generic. Take a recent accomplishment and tie that into the profile statement.

Some of your bullets can be combined. Instead of saying "established a procedure, documentation, etc." you could say you streamlined support operations and implemented best practices that reduced support overhead and increased productivity.

You need to get away from doing too much listing inside a list, aka "supervised, managed, organized". Anyone can do that. But, what is it about your "supervision, management, organization" that makes you better?

My company is hiring a HelpDesk Analyst position. Job is located in Hillsboro, OR (Suburb of Portland, OR). Feel free to ask any questions you may have. We had the job posting up, took it down when we had a candidate, but he left for Intel instead. Job posting is not back up yet. I will post the link when it is.

Hi everyone,

I've recently relocated to the Washington DC Metro Area and I'm trying to break into the tech sector as (ideally) a PC Technician or a Help Desk analyst. While working with my previous main employer (listed as Company 2 in the linked file) I also worked as a freelance PC Tech doing odd jobs here and there.

If any of you have the time to critique my resume, I'd greatly appreciate your input!

Resume Link

Last edited:
I'd say your resume is fine but could certainly benefit from a re-write to the "hybrid" format that has been talked about on this thread for years. The fact that you have held many positions in your career and performed a lot of tasks makes reading through it to determine your skills a lot of work. Better to list your skills in sorted paragraphs than comb through your life history hoping to find what they're looking for. Read through a bit of this thread and see what you can do.

Also, I would suggest you add "qualifiers" to your skills when you mention them on their own (like in the opening statements). Phrases like "excellent technical knowledge of..." are completely subjective and therefore meaningless in a resume.

Good luck!!

An interview thread would probably be helpful to the masses as well. The resume gets you a potential call from HR or a recruiter working directly with their client who has the hiring need to determine if your background meets their potential needs.

I can't believe I started this thread almost 10 years ago and it's still going strong! :happy dance: I only hope people have found this of value, particularly the examples I've posted for people over the years.

Back