IT Resume Thread

Flagg said:
Okay sound fair enough. Any advice as to what I should put for my current experience. its not like I am coming into this field blind, I have been doing this type of work as a hobby/side job for almost 6 years. How do you translate that on a resume'

Hobbies don't count as job experience. But you can add in the stuff you're knowledgable on under Key Qualifications in the "Possess knowledge in xxx...." line. Think of it as a sort of catch-all line for pimping your miscellaneous skills. Just keep it short and to the point. If they want more info about a particular area then leave it up to them to ask about it in the interview.

Flagg said:
I updated the layout of my resume' and wanted to get your opinions. (The layout probavbly looks familiar :) )

Do you think it wise for me to list under work experience the things I did in school. This was a VERY intesensive hands on course, and technically its my only formal experience (except for Amazon.com several years ago) Thanks for any advice and let me know what you think....

Man I've been busy lately. Here's my thoughts on your resume as you posted it:

-I'd add measurable information to your summary statement. Putting your total years of experience in your field or maybe just "professional experience" is good. Prases like "extensive experience" or "well-established work history" without a concrete time frame tells me that you actually don't have much worth mentioning and are hoping that some creative writing will cover up the fact that you only have 6 months of real-world experience. It sucks, but that's the way many HR people think.

-I'd sort out your qualifications into a couple main categories. Group them like maybe "Enterprise networking", "Communications" (which is resume-speak for customer service), "Hardware"... you get the idea -and can probably better sort out the categories than I could. I feel this works a lot better to the reader than just a big list of somewhat related skills.

-I'd also remove your work history descriptions and incorporate them into your "Key Qualifications" area. The thinking is this: the only reason you have a detailed description of each job you've done is to convey what skills you possess as a result of the work. Well with a better detailed Qualifications section, there is no need for the same information to be listed below. Remember, the resume reader isn't as interested in your work history as much as weather you have the skills they are looking for. Most of the time, we're looking for one or two very specific skills. Don't make them read through all of your work history just to find out if you know how to drive a forklift and can manage a Cisco router. Give them your skills up front. If they want more detiailed information about your work history, they'll get it in the interview! In addition, trimming up your work history and increasing your Qualifications area allows you to mention the additional skills that may only have come by from your hobby work. If you were fooling around with networking on your own for 2 years before actually being paid for it, you can include that experience in a "total experience" format.

-You also list your certifications twice. Don't do that. We all know you're proud of them!

-Lastly, only offer references if asked. The statement "references available upon request" is just a waste of space on your resume so don't even bother with that! The only useful information about references would be if they were NOT available (like if you worked for the CIA and am not allowed to divulge that information for instance). References are usually requested automatically by standard employment application forms that most all companies have and use.

Great suggestions, I am already modifying my resume to reflect some your suggestions. For example
SUMMARY: A voice / data networking professional at the leading edge of information technology using established skills in design, implementation, and systematic problem solving of networks.

You suggested breaking up my key qualifications into some "bigger " categories. Did you mean something like this?

Key Qualifications
Communications
1. Skill #1
2. Skill #2
3. Skill #3 and so on
Hardware
1. Skill #1
2. Skill #2
3. Skill #3 and so on
Enterprise Networking
1. Skill #1
2. Skill #2
3. Skill #3 and so on

As for job histroy/ descriptions, what information do you recommend to put under this? You say to clean up my job description and to incoprorate most of that information under "Qualifications" If I do that, all I am left with is a one or two line Summary like this

Amazaon.com 1997 - 2000 PC/Networking Technician

is that really all you need? This seems to condradict many other resume's I have seen.

I did remove my refrences section per your advice.
I am thinking about moving my education / exeperience section below my "Qualifictions" section and then removin my Cert's listing under qualifications.
And finally, I added a 5 years statement under my summary, so now it looks like this

SUMMARY: A voice / data networking professional with 5 years experience at the leading edge of information technology using established skills in implementation, and systematic problem solving of voice / data networks.

Flagg said:
Great suggestions, I am already modifying my resume to reflect some your suggestions. For example....

Check out my online resume for some ideas. Although it's not the best example of my own resume (I haven't updated it in several years now) and I don't like my summary statement, I do think it should give you an idea of how the format can go. In your case, there may correctly some need to deviate from this format as your skillset is pretty elaborate (but maybe not). Anyways, check out how I've formatted the "skills section".

I don't know why I put my detailed work history up there. I normally keep them as two different files on tap just in case someone wants one (as has happened in the past a couple of times). As you will see in my resume download page, I have both files available. I suppose if you download just my resume, you'll see the formating I did on my employment history and how brief it is, or you can click here to see how I trimmed it up. One or two lines per job is all you need in my book.

Good summary improvement. I always tend to like "proven" over "established" though. Saying you have ESTABLISHED skills implies what? PROVEN skills I think is more hard-hitting and clear. Here's how I'd tweak it:

"A networking professional with 5 years experience at the leading edge of information technology. Proven skills in implementation, and systematic problem solving of voice / data network systems."

Moving your education / certs section to below your skills is dependant on what you think is your main selling points. If your education holds more weight than your work experience, then list it first. In your case, due to the amount of certifications you carry, I'd go ahead and list them before your work history.

Lookin' good!..

Cool, I looked at your resume and noticed that you included clubs/hobbies outside your job. i.e boyscotts toasterclub etc. Are those worth putting on a resume? For example I have been a member of IEEE for sometime now. I don't really do anything for the group but i am a registered memeber. Would something like this belong on a resume?

Group affiliation are sometimes looked at when your job involves dealing with people ... or it has a management type component ... I've just finished attending an interview for a computer lab manager position, and somebody asked questions that are non-work related ... like hobbies ..

primea is right on. Group affiliations, hobbies, ect. are a great thing to include in your resume. It shows the fact that you can work with others, communicate, are a real person, ect. Great stuff to have on your side when trying to sell yourself.

jmroberts70 said:
-I'd add measurable information to your summary statement. Putting your total years of experience in your field or maybe just "professional experience" is good. Prases like "extensive experience" or "well-established work history" without a concrete time frame tells me that you actually don't have much worth mentioning and are hoping that some creative writing will cover up the fact that you only have 6 months of real-world experience. It sucks, but that's the way many HR people think.

i've heard the opposite- using dynamic phrases like that are good. as long asyou incoporate temporal references in your resume elsewhere (5 years MS windows experience; or worked as network technician from 1995-2003) then i don't think it "covers up" anything.

my 2 cents

big daddy fatsacks said:
i've heard the opposite- using dynamic phrases like that are good. as long asyou incoporate temporal references in your resume elsewhere (5 years MS windows experience; or worked as network technician from 1995-2003) then i don't think it "covers up" anything.

my 2 cents

As always, this sort of thing is purely subjective. All I can speak of is what my experience has been dealing with HR staff as a prospective employee and as a co-worker. My only problem with not adding specific information to your summary statement is that, sadly, many times that is as far as they'll read in your resume. Quite often they just scan through your resume so having a summary statement that describes you as quickly as possible will help. I suppose it can go either way though. Remember that this is all opinion!

So, I just sent in my resume (actually had a friend at the company submit it with a referral).

However, when should I call that person to inquire about that position?

fibroptikl said:
So, I just sent in my resume (actually had a friend at the company submit it with a referral).

However, when should I call that person to inquire about that position?

I suppose that would depend on the situation but I'd have your friend try and get as much information about the hiring people as possible before making too many moves. I personally like to call right after submitting just about anything -just to make sure it made the trip.

jmroberts70 said:
I suppose that would depend on the situation but I'd have your friend try and get as much information about the hiring people as possible before making too many moves. I personally like to call right after submitting just about anything -just to make sure it made the trip.
Thanks.

Unfortunatley the position was filled this morning.

jmroberts70 said:
As always, this sort of thing is purely subjective. All I can speak of is what my experience has been dealing with HR staff as a prospective employee and as a co-worker. My only problem with not adding specific information to your summary statement is that, sadly, many times that is as far as they'll read in your resume. Quite often they just scan through your resume so having a summary statement that describes you as quickly as possible will help. I suppose it can go either way though. Remember that this is all opinion!
right, right. i'm not saying don't use specifics. but if you say:
I am a highly qualified network administrator with 5 years of experience managing a LAN/WAN environment. I have extensive Windows 2000 experience.

it is prolly better sounding than:
I am a network administrator with 5 years of experience managing a LAN/WAN environment. I have experience with Windows 2000.

not really disagreeing with you, but adding something to your comments.

big daddy fatsacks said:
right, right. i'm not saying don't use specifics. but if you say:
I am a highly qualified network administrator with 5 years of experience managing a LAN/WAN environment. I have extensive Windows 2000 experience.

it is prolly better sounding than:
I am a network administrator with 5 years of experience managing a LAN/WAN environment. I have experience with Windows 2000.

not really disagreeing with you, but adding something to your comments.

I guess I'm just a big fan of specifics. "Fluff words" like highly qualified without a time reference are suspicious to me. Even just saying that you have experience without telling me how much isn't that helpful to people, IMO. Here's a possible rewording:

"I am a network administrator with 5 years of experience managing a LAN/WAN environment including such platforms as MS Server 2000, SQL Server, and Novell Netware 5."

The nice thing about including your the different platforms in the same line as your TOTAL networking experience means that you've already listed a measureable amount of time -but some of the platforms you list may be only systems that you tested in school, or played with in a lab, at least you have SOME experience in them.

Just an idea...

like i said, i'm not advocating putting them in place of anything. so your line would maybe read something like this:
"I am a highly qualified network administrator with 5 years of experience managing a LAN/WAN environment including extensive experience on MS Server 2000, SQL Server, and Novell Netware 5 platforms."

basically, i'm just saying that adjectives are good, not that they replace actual information. to me, the above sentence adds a little life and (IMHO) a voice of confidence to yours, while keeping the important facts in there just the same.

of course if you're in the situation where your resume is too much to fit on a page and you're looking to cut something, you cut the frivolous descriptions.

i have used the same resume for a long time, just updating it every now and then.
Now here is the bad part, i am very versatile and very enthusiaastic about my work, i have been doing it for about 12 years now (IT admin, management etc) my resume is nearly 3 pages long with all the stuff i had to put down on what i did at each job since it was so much.

I can mail my resume to whoever wants to check it out. i am just wondering if its a bit too much. I also have like a shitload of certifications that are listed (never finished uni though) like MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA, CISSP , LCA etc... a lot of companies i have had the feeling are takena back and think the job is below my level. i dont currently need a job ( i ahve a nice one) but still for future references i would love someone look at it to give some pointers...

you can mail me at frommel at saunalahti dot fi and i'll gladly send you a copy...

Since I am not looking for a new job, can you guys take a look at my resume at let me know what you think.

SKILLS
Windows Windows NT 4.0, 2000 Professional, 2000 Server, 2003 Server, Windows XP, Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, WINS, RRAS, Terminal Services, Users & groups, Shares, Permissions, Backups, Exchange

SQL SQL 7.0, 2000 - Creating databases, Stored procedures, triggers, joins, administration

Cisco Bridging, Switching, OSI model, Network protocols, Network management, WAN protocols, Network design, Router configuration, IP Telephony installation, Call Manager, Unity Voice Mail, IP Telephony Troubleshooting, VLans, QoS, Firewalls, Wireless

CERTIFICATIONS
Microsoft Certified Database Administrator (MCDBA)
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE)
Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
Cisco Unity Systems Engineer (CUSE)
A+ Certification

EDUCATION
2001 Connecting Point - Duluth, MN Fast Track Database Administrator Program
Extensive, full time, instructor led, hands-on (500+ hours) professional training Program in network engineering, design and administration and Database Administration using Microsoft Windows 2000. Includes thorough interactive training in networking, as well as hardware and software troubleshooting, SQL 7.0 Implementation and Administration, Network Infrastructure, and Windows 2000 Server.

1994 Mountain Lake Public School, Honors Graduate Mountain Lake, MN

EXPERIENCE
October 2002 – Present
########################## - Minnetonka, MN Consultant
• Designed and implemented a multi-site, multi-tenant Windows Active Directory/Exchange and Cisco IP Telephony environment
• Designed and implemented multi-site Cisco IP Telephony systems
• Install, maintain and troubleshoot Windows Server environments.

July 2001 – October 2002
########################## - Willmar, MN Network Technician
• Managed Networks
• Installed Cisco IP Telephony equipment
• Learned and applied new technologies quickly

I would like to thank everyone here for their time and effort in helping me with my resume. It finally paid off! I just got a job at AT&T wireless in there DATA NOCC working with their unix systems (for all the different apps they have) its a tier 1 support job which is a step down from where i was in telecom but its a foot in the door, and it looks like I will have the opportunity to move over to the cisco level stuff later on. Thanks again

Hey guys, after many years of reading this forum i've finally decided to join the hardocp
community (have no idea why I didn't join earlier. :rolleyes: )

Aside from that, I just recently graduated from college with a networking diploma, I have no clue though how to grab a companies attention, so I can actually get interviews and possibly a job. Furthermore, I fear my lack of working experience in the IT field (0 paid ) will hinder my chances of getting the job.

My question to you guys... would any of u be kind enough to suggest the way I should be approching this dilemma and possibly some suggestions on how to cover up my 'flaws' in a resume. Thanks....

What qssx speaks of is interesting. Last week I was in an orientation course for newcomings to where I work, and the woman sitting next to me has her Ph.D in Mathmatics. Now this was impressive in its own right as I've never really just sat down next to a PhD and had a casual conversation before. What was interesting was that she's been out of school now for 6 months and cannot find a job. This was the first place that actually took a good look at her and brought her into the fold. Can you believe that? A PhD and unable to find work....says wonders about today's economy. Then again she did point out that yes she was educated, but she has zero experience, which is why she's been getting shut out of jobs left and right.
I just found her story interesting, thats all.

qssx said:
nuts!...don't scare me to much now.. :(

ok, i'll scare you more, i've been out of school for a year and a half and i have a degree in networking.

runt said:
ok, i'll scare you more, i've been out of school for a year and a half and i have a degree in networking.

Can't you find a side job, maybe Tech support..?

qssx said:
Can't you find a side job, maybe Tech support..?

nothing in the area i'm in. i can't even find anything in minneapolis/st. paul. everyplace wants experience. i may end up moving to indianapolis since i just got a job offer there.

qssx said:
Hey guys, after many years of reading this forum i've finally decided to join the hardocp
community (have no idea why I didn't join earlier. :rolleyes: )

Aside from that, I just recently graduated from college with a networking diploma, I have no clue though how to grab a companies attention, so I can actually get interviews and possibly a job. Furthermore, I fear my lack of working experience in the IT field (0 paid ) will hinder my chances of getting the job.

My question to you guys... would any of u be kind enough to suggest the way I should be approching this dilemma and possibly some suggestions on how to cover up my 'flaws' in a resume. Thanks....

Well first of all, welcome to the "members list" of [H]!

No to answer your question, besides reading the thoughts of many in this thread, I'd suggest investing in the book "Resumes That Knock 'Em Dead". Worth every penny. They have several examples and guides for people in your situation (or even worse places) and how to put together a resume that is truthful but still does a good job of selling yourself without shedding a lot of light on the negatives in your situation. After that, come on back anytime if you have any questions! Also let us know how it goes!!!

qssx ... maybe you can post your resume here as it stands now and we can help you work on it ... could be an interesting project for the [H] folks ...

primea said:
qssx ... maybe you can post your resume here as it stands now and we can help you work on it ... could be an interesting project for the [H] folks ...

I took pieces and suggestions from previous replies on this thread and modify my resume. This is how it looks now...

Name
Phone #
email address

SUMMARY: A well-rounded network administrator with 2 years training and real-world experience ranging from Cisco router setup to Broadband/DSL installations.

SKILLS

General Skills: Linux[SuSE, Red Hat]/Unix, Windows Operating System Environments[3.1 through XP], Database Design and Implementation[Access, SQL], Novell NOS and NDS structure, IBM AS/400 Operating System, Computer Hardware Installation and Configuration/Troubleshooting, Basic HTML Programming, Microsoft Office Suite.

Networking Skills: Network Design and Optimization, Subnetting, Ethernet/Wireless/Fiber media, TCP/IP, TCP/UDP, DNS, DHCP, RIP/OSPF/IGRP, HTTP, FTP, Cisco Networks Equipment, Dynamic Web Applications using HTML/ASP.

EDUCATION

Graduated CNS (Computer Network and Technical support) @ Seneca College, Ontario.
* Network Technologies Major with a Network Administration concentration

EXPERIENCE

May, 1999 – Present Freelance Computer Consultant – Toronto, ON
• Setup, repair, assembly and troubleshooting of personal computers,
• Tutor in the use of software like MS Office, Eudora, etc…
• Setup SOHO networks

June, 2002 – Sept. 2002 Fenwick Automotives Products – Toronto, ON
• Assessed the quality of returned automotive merchandise
• Arrange automotive parts to its proper array

Oct. 2000 – May 2001 Mister Donut – Toronto, ON
• Cashier, served coffee and donuts
• Manage store at night independently

July, 1999 – Sept. 1999 Christmas Traditions – Mississauga, ON
• Sort & Packaged Christmas ornaments
• Input incoming inventory to the computer database

What should I change..etc...

Gents... It just so happens that I was looking to re-do my resume when I stumbled on this forum... Much of what I've done already is based on commets I've read here... A skills based resume sems to fit my bredth rather than depth of experience... I'd sincerely appreciate any comments... (please be kind, this is my first go in awhile)

Joseph F. Pochedley, MCP
xxxx
xxxx
Home: xxxx – Mobile: xxxx
eMail: xxxx

Summary

A technically and professionally adept systems administrator with 9 years of Information Technology experience, strong software and hardware troubleshooting skills as well as data and voice networking expertise.

Qualifications

Servers: 7 years of experience with administering and integrating Microsoft Server technologies including: Microsoft Windows NT, 2000, and 2003; Active Directory; Group Policy; Microsoft Exchange 5.5, 2000 and 2003; Microsoft ISA Server 2000; Microsoft SQL Server 2000; Small Business Server; Internet Information Server 4, 5 and 6; Internet Authentication Services; Remote Installation Services; Software Update Services

Clients: Nine years of experience configuring, administering and troubleshooting Windows 3.x, 95, 98, 2000 and XP.

Networking: 5 years of experience with a multitude of LAN and WAN technologies. Experience from logical to physical infrastructure design. Protocals and services design and implementation: TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, PPTP, IPSEC, L2TP, FTP, HTTP. Responsible for networks ranging in size from SOHO installations, to mid size corporate networks to a multinational VPN and WAN incorporating sites in the US, Canada, Europe and Asia.

Telecommunications: 5 years of experience in managing voice technologies and services for offices spread throughout the US. Experience includes negotiating telecommunications contracts, evaluating and maintaining telecommunications hardware, and evaluating and managing mobile technologies. Experience also includes 5 years of configuring and maintaining an Avaya Definity ECS system.

Hardware: 9 years of experience with installing, maintaining, and troubleshooting various levels of Intel based servers, PC hardware, networking equipment and telecommunications equipment.

Communications: 9 years of experience facilitating in large group, small group and one-on-one training environments. Responsible for creating end-user documentation and training materials. Proficient in creating management reports including budgetary plans, hardware and software evaluation reports, and incident summaries.

Experience

The North American Mfg. Co. LTD.
Network and Telecommunications Manager - 1999 to present
Systems Support (Help Desk, End User Trainer) - 1997 to 1999

TerryTim & Associates
Computer Systems Training Specialist – Hardware Specialist - 1996 to 1997

Education

Indiana Weslyian Univeristy Expected graduation with BCIS degree in May 2006

Cleveland State University – School of Nursing – 1993 to 1997

I am on the job hunt too, I hate the hours I work (24/7 call center for an ISP). After reading through here I fixed up my resume somewhat. I'm open to critque ... btw to fit it all on one page I'm using garamond 11.5 :confused:

-------- Usual header information ---------

Summary: A technically and professionally adept systems administrator looking to break into network administration with 5 years of information technology experience, strong software and hardware troubleshooting skills, and networking experience.

Key Qualifications
• 5 years of proven customer service skills with the ability handle high-pressure environments in a professional and effective manner across a variety of skill levels.
• 5 years designing, building, deploying and upgrading x86-based systems, SOHO LANs, and providing troubleshooting support to clients in a freelance capacity.
• 1 year troubleshooting enterprise LANs and systems in a professional environment.
• Familiarity with a variety of Operating Systems including Windows (Dos-XP), Mac (8-10), and Novell NOS.
• Programming ability in Visual Studio.NET (1 year), basic HTML (4 years).
• Network+ (N10-002) Registration: 208887112 Validation: 2000373715, July 2004

Employment
Call Center Support Technician – Cablevision Technical Support Group May 2003 - Present
Call center support of connectivity and configuration issues covering accounts and billing, physical signaling, and software configuration for subscribers of high speed internet access. Requires proven ability to communicate across a variety of skill levels, evaluated by both supervisors and 3rd party contractors.
• Software: TCP/IP & associated tools (ping, nslookup, tracert, arp, etc.), Remedy 4.0, GroupWise, Windows 95-XP, Mac OS 8-X, Outlook, Outlook Express, IE 4-6.0, Netscape 5-7, Safari, Eudora, Entourage, Consumer Anti-Virus and Firewall programs.
• Hardware: 3Com Home Connect, Motorola Surfboard Series, & Scientific Atlanta Webstar Cable Modems. Linksys, D-Link, Belkin, & Netgear 802.3 & 802.11b/g routers.

Volunteer Desktop Support Technician – Jamaica Hospital Medical Center Mar. 2002 – Present
Deploys systems with user accounts connected to hospital servers and configure for network shared services. Troubleshoot any issues on hospital deployed systems.
• Software: Track-It! 6.0, Windows NT-XP, Novell Client 4.83, GroupWise, Microsoft Office 95-XP, TCP/IP, Resource Mapping, Domain and Local Account configuration.
• Hardware: HP/Compaq Workstations & hardware replacement, HP 4000 Series Printers.

Network Administrator – Pearl Electronic Medical Billing Jan. 2002 – Present
Primary network administrator deploying and maintaining a LAN, workstations, and a dedicated server for the Lytec Medical Database with automated backup scripting and Level 1 RAID.
• Software: Windows 2000 Pro/Server, Lytec 2004 Medical Billing, MED6 accounting, Workgroup account configuration, TCP/IP, Resource Mapping, NovaStore Backup 7.0, Norton AntiVirus, WinVNC 3.3.
• Hardware: Deployed 3 customized Windows 2000 workstations and Server with level 1 RAID.

Retail Division Intern - Walt Disney World College Internship Program May 2002 – Dec. 2002
Part time management of store associates during business hours, floor inventory stock, open and close of shop on business days, balancing of manager’s fund, profit deposit, and escort of currency requests to central cash control.

Resident Assistant – Binghamton University Office of Residential Life Aug. 2001 – May 2002
2 years supervising 35 underclassmen residents living in residence halls. Enforced Code of Conduct and Housing Licenses. Organized activities and programs to build and maintain a sense of community.

Education
BA Business Administration & Information Technology May 2004, 4.0
Briarcliffe College, Bethpage, New York
• Honor Roll: Sp03, Su03, Fa03, Sp04, Alpha Beta Kappa National Honor Society
BA History / BA Philosophy, Politics & Law May 2002, 3.8 / 3.6
State University of New York at Binghamton
• Honor Roll: Fa98, Fa99, Sp00, Fa00, Sp01, Fa01, Spr02., Golden Key & Phi Alpha Theta National Honor Society

I'll start with my thoughts on jpochedl's resume:

The only thing I would change is your summary. I would trim back some of the subjective words like "adept". You may think you are and there's nothing wrong with that but a summary statement has to get to the point in a hurry. Here's how I'd change your summary...

"IT Systems Administrator with 9 years professioinal experience, strong software and hardware troubleshooting skills as well as data and voice networking expertise."

Other than that, I think it's a winner in my book.

Now for rpc180's resume:

Well I'd say the same thing for the summary statement with the additional thought to remove mentioning that you want to "break into" anything! The fact is that you already have enough relevant experience to break into administration. The fact that you have never help an official position as an administrator but have a lot of relevant experience would possibly be something you'd mention in a cover letter --only if the job description listing insists on specific experiences you don't have.

I'd also spend more time in your desicription of your qualificaitons than I would in your employment history. Break your qualifications into several main categories and then do more time describing your skills there. I think you can see from a few other resume examples in this thread how that works. The result is a more pin-point description of what you can do for a company as opposed to having to read your life history just to find out if you can manage a Novell 5 network. --I personally wouldn't mention that you were a "volunteer" Desktop Support Technician. To me it would look better if you just left out that word and kept the title. It's not lying but it's also not offering information about you that isn't too flattering either!

I wouldn't change anything on your Education section though! Great work!

Definately thanks for the heads up, I'm re-writing most sections of the resume now :)

You had mentioned cover letters, considering my breadth but not depth of experience, its difficult to make a cover letter stand out technically, which I believe is hurting my applications a lot. I'm also sticking with a casual style so it will stand out a little more. Any tips on how to write a serious cover letter without the expertise and still remain memorable? Every time I've written a serious professionally worded cover letter even I forget what I wrote by time it is finished...

rpc180 said:
Definately thanks for the heads up, I'm re-writing most sections of the resume now :)

You had mentioned cover letters, considering my breadth but not depth of experience, its difficult to make a cover letter stand out technically, which I believe is hurting my applications a lot. I'm also sticking with a casual style so it will stand out a little more. Any tips on how to write a serious cover letter without the expertise and still remain memorable? Every time I've written a serious professionally worded cover letter even I forget what I wrote by time it is finished...

Well one place to start would be a great book like Cover Letters Thank Knock 'Em Deak (amazon.com). Over 300 pages of help with cover letters from the same guys that did probably one of the best guides to resumes I've ever seen.

Beyond that, I'd say that you should't take that long with a cover letter that you lose what you're writing about. Short, sweet, and to the point in a hurry. Formatted something like this:

"Hello so-an-so, this is me and I'm interested in your open position as listed on monster.com (ref. number). attached is my resume.

As my resume shows, I have experience in this and that.

I would love an opportunity to meet in person to discuss how I may contribute to your orginazation's goals. Please feel free to contact me anytime..."

Naturally I've trimmed down a lot of the wording but I think you get the point. The cover letter is where you make the bridge or connection between your resume and their job listing. Do it FOR them. I like to write a cover letter with the job listing next to me on the screen. I use key words from their listing in my letter so that it will be noticed quickly. I also keep the colorful wording to a minimum. I believe that a cover letter should also be as short as possible and to the point. Identify yourself and the job number, list your relevant skills, and get out!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back