It Is The “Clean Your Damn PC” Weekend

I find the efficiency of conjunctions appealing.

The efficiency of typing 20% less letters in "it's" vs. "it is" is really noteworthy?

Cat-CatInsideComputerHiIVoidedYourW.jpg

Mmmm, I've collected about 40TBs worth of that in my machine over the years. Sure keeps my motor purring!

But cleaning computers doesn't remove insects. About 3 months ago I looked in my side window and saw a mosquito looking insect sitting on the hot liquid tube coming off the CPU. I couldn't remove it, but it left somehow. So see, doing nothing is sometimes the best option.

I'm a once-a monther if I haven't been inside tinkering more often than that. It's the last this I do before closing up the case and seeing if the new mod or part makes er purr a little more for me.

I have this next to my machine, and my room isn't very big but uses carpet. The air purifier takes care of about 95%+ of all the dust. :D

Otherwise, dusting my machine would be necessary once every two or three months.

Anybody know any alternatives to spending $10/month on a can of compressed air versus $150 air compressor and nozzles, etc.?

Is there something in between?

I've always wanted to use an air compressor... however my biggest fear is that the pressure change from the tank to the outside could very easily cause condensation, it's probably a bit less for the cans o' air though. I know when my dad build a monster compressor canister I would have loads of fun popping the air nozzle onto my hand and literally watching ice form. Now how much would happen in a PC, I'm not certain, but I am certain when air expands it gets cooler, and when cool & warm touch you get condensation.

That said, I did recently see at home depot a $44 air compressor that had some nozzles in it. Also what I like to use is my shopvac, simply suck out the stuff that's loose then flip the hose to the outport and I get quite a blast of air.. maybe not as much pressure.. but then again if I have clogged problems like some of those computers... spending money on a specialty tool obviously will be wasted money.

Smoker computers are bad but the worst computer I ever got was owned by a cat lady and had an oozing layer of cat spray covering every surface. Normally cleaning out the computer is included in the base $40 diagnostic fee but we charged her an extra $150

God, I can't even imagine how bad her house smells.
64917634ae4b4hnwbarfeh8.gif

I looked at Amazon at that ED500 and noticed there is also an ED500P, different prices. What is the difference other than price? The pics for the ED500P show additional pieces but are not mentioned in the description.

I was fixing one for a co-worker once... I got it home, opened up the case, and it was one solid dust bunny inside. Solid. I removed it like it was a piece of styrofoam. Super gross.

Doesn't the term "bug" come from a moth someone found in one of those old ass giant computers. (It was a woman, don't remember her name)..

Yep-
U.S. Navy Admiral Grace Murray Hopper
I worked in her building out in San Diego (now I'm on the other end of the base). She was a firebrand, and gave a speech for some co-workers right before she passes, they said she was funny, and the kind of smart that's almost intimidating.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Hopper

I've been given a PC to "clean up" over the weekend.

Dunno what's worse: the filthy innards, or the 50 GB user profile.

Heh- I had to go fix the base CDO's computer last week, they had so many local profiles on it that they had filled the entire drive, preventing login. I didn't even bother getting the overall size, but the 160Gig drive had 159`ish free when I was done deleting profiles back to 2005.

there was a time at my workplace when the computer caught on fire. it happened because it was even dirtier than in those pictures. the lint caught fire. hehe.

Oh man that's some nasty shit! The dust in my computer is usually easy to clean out. It reminds me of the time I lent my friend an old video card. After a while I got it back and it had oily dust caked onto the heatsink fins. x_X

I have this next to my machine, and my room isn't very big but uses carpet. The air purifier takes care of about 95%+ of all the dust. :D

Otherwise, dusting my machine would be necessary once every two or three months.

Nice, I've been looking for a nice air filter thing. The dust in and on my case I can take care of easily, but the dust that settles around my entire room becomes a PITA to clean. Waging a war against dust is hard!

Just cleaned my PC... I'd post pics, but my wire management is embarrassingly bad. Well, that and the fact I didn't put much effort into the cleaning. Still, getting all that dust off the heatsinks reduced temps all around.

I looked at Amazon at that ED500 and noticed there is also an ED500P, different prices. What is the difference other than price? The pics for the ED500P show additional pieces but are not mentioned in the description.

I had the same question and a guy over at OCN asked Metro Vacuum what the differences were on Amazon. The rep said that there were no differences in parts and that they are the same item.

So go with the cheaper one.

I also bought the ED500 and it came with the little attachments. By the way, I love it! I've had it for about 2 weeks and have used it nearly every few days. Extremely powerful and has many other good uses besides blowing away dust - I used it to dry water off my radiator after I soaked it in my sink. Beats having to wait a few days for it to dry.

:)

EVGA says to clean their video cards every 30 days. :eek:

I think doing a good air spray job every 6 mos. is sufficient.

EVGA says to clean their video cards every 30 days. :eek:

I think doing a good air spray job every 6 mos. is sufficient.

I just think it depends on who clean your environment is. My office gets vacuumed every day and there's just not a lot of dust in my systems as a result.

I clean all my rigs about once a month. It seems to be keeping them clean and running at good temps.

I just think it depends on who clean your environment is. My office gets vacuumed every day and there's just not a lot of dust in my systems as a result.
Oh yeah, the environment is a very important factor. I kept my 1st PC on the carpet and man did it get dusty. I now have my 2nd PC (1st PC is RIP) on the table and it doesn't get nearly as dusty in there. In both cases I cleaned about 2x per year and/or whenever I had to add a card/memory/HDD/etc.

Its insanely dusty in phoenix, my P182 keeps the PC very clean except for the stupid fine dust that is almost impossible to get rid of with out wiping off. I like the fact that the only part I need to blow out is my PSU.

What's the best way to remove dust settled in the bottom of heatsinks?

Just blow? If it's caked on (oily dead skin is the usual culprit as a large majority of household dust is shed skin cells) you can use alcohol or hot water and soap and soak and rinse.

I understand smoking (I've been known to have 2-3 a day during particular stressful points in the semester), but I just don't get why anyone smokes inside their house. It take 5 minutes to have a cig and standing up to go outside is always a nice break.

Just blow? If it's caked on (oily dead skin is the usual culprit as a large majority of household dust is shed skin cells) you can use alcohol or hot water and soap and soak and rinse.
I tried air spraying, which works great for fans, but didn't work so well on the heatsink. I was going to use a tissue, but I didn't want it to break apart while wiping the HS, which would obviously worsen it. Maybe a microfiber towel that doesn't give lint or fall apart?

Back