Issues with Vantec Nexstar Dock

Bulwark

Limp Gawd
A friend of mine has been having some issues with her nexstar dock (the single drive one). It will detect, read and write a 500gb seagate and 1.5tb seagate she had access to, but not a 1tb seagate drive. The 1tb drive doesn't even appear in disk management.

She tested the dock+drive on her laptop (powered USB hubs, non-powered and direct to the laptop) and 2 desktops. I got her to try different ports, deleting the USB entries and restarting the computer and all kinds of combinations thereof. She also tried using the eSATA connector on the dock, but with no luck.

Normally I would think that would mean the drive is dead, but the drive worked for her when she installed it internally and it worked for me when I used it on my vantec dock (also the single drive one). This leads me to believe it's her dock.

Is there ne thing wrong with this reasoning? Is there something else I should have suggested she try?

Nope. You've gone through all the steps I'd have recommended, save one. Try the jumper. If the jumper doesn't change things, then write the two off as incompatible.

Well we tried the jumper too (which just changes whether it's limited to SATA I speeds I believe).

I'm not sure if I was entirely clearly in my first post, but the same drive that didn't work in her dock, does work in my dock which is the same model. So is compatibility still a factor?

Sure, silent, undocumented and unannounced revisions happen fairly frequently these days. Chances are there's a slight difference in the revisions which is causing the problem.

Nice troubleshooting job OP!

Maybe this this just another case of the infamous Seagate 7200.11 series?

I think AreEss pegged the problem but I'm gonna blame Seagate anyway. :D

Back