Issues Installing WIndows on a SATA hard drive

anonyentry

Weaksauce
Ok, here is the deal.
I have a completely formatted 250gb hitacchi SATA hard drive.
I went to install my copy of xp pro, and it couldn't find the hard drive so the install did not work. I then went to hitachi's site and they said if it's an sata hard drive you need to download the raid drivers from the mobo manufacturer. I have an asus P5S800-VM motherboard.
So I went to: http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5S800-VM
I then clicked raid and downloaded the driver package for windows xp. (This is all on another computer.) After that, I incorperated that driver package into my xp install disk using nlite. I then used the nlite disk and attempted the install again on the other computer. This time, there was a different error message when I went to install it:
Your hard disk was not located properly. Please install the drivers from the manufacturer.
I am stumped. What should I do?
All help is appreciated.
thank you!

Just put them on a floppy and press F6 during the windows install to load 3rd party drivers. You'll need both the RAID and Storage drivers.

[BB] Rick James said:
Just put them on a floppy and press F6 during the windows install to load 3rd party drivers. You'll need both the RAID and Storage drivers.
I don't have a floppy drive :/
Where can I find the storage drivers?

oops... didnt fully read your post... read the nlite forum for help on how to properly add drivers... its easy to mess it up

also im pretty sure that board uses an nvidia controller so you should get the latest nforce drivers from the nvidia site

nvidia doesnt just make GPUs... they make raid controllers, audio chips,north/south bridges,nics etc etc too... but your raid controller in your mobo is made by SiS... so you need to slipstream the drivers for SiS RAID into your windows install....

also make sure in bios you have the raid controller turned on and you have SATA1(im guessing thats where you have it plugd into) turned on... then you gotta go to the raid controller GUI and set up the partition... all before you can install windows

Imaulle said:
also make sure in bios you have the raid controller turned on and you have SATA1(im guessing thats where you have it plugd into) turned on... then you gotta go to the raid controller GUI and set up the partition... all before you can boot
My bios setting for sata is this:
OnChip SATA Controller: Set to raid mode
Other options are: Native mode and disabled.
SHould I change this setting?
Also, if I disable it will the drive act as an ide?

I also do not have any partitions set up; nor do i see an option to in my bios. Can't I do this in the windows installer once it finds my hd?

I also have a section called serial port 1 address. I hit enter and I have 4 options.
They are:
Disabled
3F8/IRQ4(currently set to this)
3E8/IRQ4
2E8/IRQ4

Should I leave this alone?

leave the serial stuff alone.. those are the big bulgy port things on the back of the mobo for external use...

i have an asus board so our bios should be somewhat similar... for me i have an option to turn the controller on and off... then to turn on raid for SATA1 and SATA2

one sec lemme download the manual for this board...

k, it should be set to raid... reboot and hit CTRL + S to get into the raid setup utility

Imaulle said:
leave the serial stuff alone.. those are the big bulgy port things on the back of the mobo for external use...

i have an asus board so our bios should be somewhat similar... for me i have an option to turn the controller on and off... then to turn on raid for SATA1 and SATA2

one sec lemme download the manual for this board...
My BIOS version is decently old I think,
Info:
v02.54 Copyright 1985-2003, American Megatrends, inc
AMIBIOS
Version: 8.00.09
Build DateL 05/27/05

Imaulle said:
k, it should be set to raid... reboot and hit CTRL + S to get into the raid setup utility
Ok, i'm in the raid setup.
Here is what i see:
[r} enter raid setup utility
[q] exit current menu

Then:
Model: My hard drive
Capacity: 232gb
Mode: UDMA 5
Raid Type: single
what should i do from here?
Thanks for the help so far!

hmmm so it should be working then if it says single raid '.'

try making another slipstream with the raid driver from the sis website.... and make sure you follow the steps for the raid guide thing from the nlite website also...

in bios is there raid options under

Advanced - Peripheral Configuration - ATA Controller Configuration

?

you should be able to turn it on from there i think

Imaulle said:

?

The raid seems to be on fine.
So which drivers should I slipstreem.
The ones from asus, and sis. Should I slipstream any others? Also, do you have a link to the guide on nlite's site? Is there any way for me to set the drive as an IDE, that would be the fastest method it looks like.

Imaulle said:

?

By the way, under advanced I did not find peripheral configuration nor ata controller config.

SP2 has no extra sata drivers in it, its all the Windows Updates including SP1 up to when SP2 came out.
If they included all brands sata drivers, then it'd be a heck of alot bigger than it is

just slipstream everything you can from the zip lol... i dont get all those different folders... dont slipsteam any of the drivers from ASUS site... the ones from that zip are the most current

Damnit, this is pissing me off now. I slipstreemed them. Booted up with the cd. Went to setup windows xp. And I get this error:
Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.
Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3.

Any ideas?
Is there ANY way to make the sata read/act like an IDE?

just use IDE cable instead of sata cable then set auto in bios for IDEs... you gotta be missing something in the BIOS..... those are the correct drivers so i dono man :confused:

Imaulle said:
just use IDE cable instead of sata cable then set auto in bios for IDEs... you gotta be missing something in the BIOS..... those are the correct drivers so i dono man :confused:
It only has a slot for an SATA cable :/
What else should I look for in the BIOS?

Back