Issues Installing Vista B2

weasel2htm

Limp Gawd
I'm attempting to install Vista on a scrounged together machine (specs below) and am encountering an error I'm not sure how to deal with the issue

I get the error "A required CD/DVD device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppydisk, CD,DVD or USB Flash drive please insert it now"
"Note: If the Windows installation media is in the CD/DVD Drive,you may remove it for this step"

So I click "OK" (The only thing it will let me do) it runs a while and says "No Device Drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers, and then click OK.

At no point will it let me browse for drivers, or skip the step

This is wiht Vista Beta 2
System Specs:
Gateway Unit with MSI Motherboard
Athlon 950
640MB RAM
8X Samsung DVD-ROM
15GB WD HDD
OptoRite CDRW
TV Tuner Card
SB Live
Nic with Realtek Chipset

it most likely can't find the drivers for the TV tuner. Try putting the CD w/ the Tv tuner drivers in when it promps you.

that's just my $.02.

figured I'd say what i could, since nobody else has :p

What speed did you burn the DVD at? MS recently advised to burn the ISO to DVD at 1x or 2x and they said the majority of install problems were due to bad burns

Swap the optical drive out for another one in the meantime. Several other people created threads with this error, and that solved the problem.

dbwilis: I will try re-burning the iso (thanks for the advice)
Deathman: It hasn't gotten that far yet (though I may try yanking all hardware except essentials)
djnes: I've seen those posts after posting this thread, I was doing good to scrounge up this drive I've got.
Right now I think re-burning the iso is my best bet, how long would that take at 1x though?
I guess this is what I get for trying to play with Vista on HW that is beg/borrow/steal.

BTW is there a version of vista for download that is CD(s)

Try re-installing without the tv tuner in the machine, then add it after the Vista install.

Yanked TV Tuner and Sound card, same problem, next step will be to disconnect the CDRW Drive
It sometimes give an error at first boot, something about bad or no emulation image. De4finatly need to reburn the disc at 1X and see what happends.

Disconnected CDRW so that the DVD-ROM was the only optical drive in the unit: Same problem!!

I went to burn a new copy of vista with the intention of doing it at 1X.
Tried three different programs (and drives)

DeepBurner: Gave me the 8x or Maximum as the burn speed options, no 1X grrr
Nero Express: Sets Burn Speed to Maximum and greys out the option to change it Grrrr
Sonic Record Now:Could not fin the Burn ISO option GRRRRRRR

Guess what i'm posting from :cool:

Decided to try on my work compy (Specs in siggy) and it loaded right up using the Lite-On Combo Drive, I guess the older DVD-ROM drive did not get along with the DVD-R media or something.
Runs a little slow but not bad, Probably mostly due to the video card which I may see if I can swap, I know we have a 64MB or 128 GeForce4 in the used pile.

Well, Replaced That Aging ATi Rage 8Meg with a 64MB Radeon scrounged up, also installed a 2200+ (from a system with a blown board) to Upgrade from the 1800+

Back