• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Is Xp Pnp?

buzzard34

Gawd
Joined
Feb 14, 2004
Messages
619
Help i'm having trouble installing a usb2 card. Windows can't see it AT ALL. I think it may be because PnP is off but i don't want to change that BIOS setting unless i know for sure that XP is PnP. PLease help thanks!!! :confused:
 
Yes... WinXP is plug and play compliant.

When you say "can't see it at all" I am assuming that it doesn't even show up in the device manager?

I think that the difference between BIOS PnP is that with it off, the motherboard will attempt to assign resources as opposed to Windows assigning resources. This isn't always a good thing. If you turn it back on, theoretically, nothing much should change. Windows may reallocate some resources but it should be invisible to you.

If you are talking about the PnP service (in Windows; post didn't suggest it, but you never know), you need to have that on all the time.
 
yeah the damn thing doesnt show in device manager.
Its an adaptec 5100 BTW. So if i reboot, change the BIOS PnP setting, do you think that will help ease installation?
 
I checked the card in the PCI slot and it turns out it wasn't even seated all the way in...causing my anguish. Now it works and I'm happy. :D
 
buzzard34 said:
I checked the card in the PCI slot and it turns out it wasn't even seated all the way in...causing my anguish. Now it works and I'm happy. :D

Are YOU PnP compliant? :p

 
Back
Top